Soweto residents want to pay R150 per month for electricity

Hephaestus

Forging

We all want to pay only R150 for electricity and water and tax and full tank of fuel and doctors and houses.... In fact, we demand it be free

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
You know what though, if they actually pay the R 150 per household it will actually help out Eskom. There are approximately 350 000 households in Soweto, that's R 50 million per month. I mean it wont completely solve Eskom's problems but it's a start.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member

system32

Expert Member
Soweto residents, led by City of Johannesburg Mayor Geoff Makhubo, marched to Eskom’s offices in Diepkloof to hand over their memorandum of demands.
There's Eskom's problem right there.
Senior ANC supporting non-payment for services rendered.
There is widespread non-payment for electricity in Soweto which has seen the area’s debt to Eskom increase from R3.6 billion in 2014 to its current level of around R18 billion.
Actually the debt was R0.00.
Soweto became part of the Johannesburg municipality in 2000.
In 2003 (post 1994), Soweto's electricity bill of about R1.3 billion was written off and Soweto was made a direct customer of Eskom.
2003: They were gifted R1.3billion when CoJ wrote off their debt (Other CoJ residents paid higher fees)
2019: They were gifted R3.6billion when Eskom wrote off R3.6 billion of over R21n debt owed by Soweto - that's why the bill is only R18billion.
“When we agreed to install prepaid meters, we parked the debt. We encouraged the communities to allow Eskom to install the prepaid meters and they should not bypass the meters,” Community Leader
NO. Soweto actively resisted prepaid meters and actively installed illegal connections - just google "Electricity Protests Soweto".
Soweto residents want to pay Eskom a flat rate of R150 per month for electricity and want their R18-billion debt scrapped.
I want the bank to write off my home loan.
Don't work like that.

If you destitute - prove it and Eskom will give you 50kWh of Free Basic Electricity (FBE) - which is enuf for a 8 LED Lights, 32" Efficient LCD TV, Radio, Cell Phone, Wifi Internet Router, Small Efficient Fridge for a month (do the sums).

What Soweto fail to understand is that their non-payment means other payers and taxpayers have to pay more to cover the losses.

The taxpayer cannot carry the non-payment burden of Soweto.

HelterSkelter

Expert Member
They should rather pay R150 per month towards the debt, plus the current usage per month, plus a levy for the damage caused by illegal connections.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
each household in Soweto pay R150 a month seems fair to me if they enforce it AND there are no illegal connections.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Reality is they won't.
No guarantee they will even pay that R150, if they were committed to that they would at least spend the R150 buying electricity every month.

The mere fact that they are opposed to prepaid meter says a lot.

Corelli

Expert Member
I want to pay R150 for my Mercedes GLC.

I am sure many companies want to pay R150 as well.

The only problem is that there wont be enough money to pay for your comrades, and your union may be upset because chances are you may actually belong to the same union. And the gravy train bosses as Eskom may have to downgrade to a Toyota Corolla from their Mercedes Benz. Let alone not be allowed to take soo many trips abroad.

Or well there may not be money to pay for the safety features at power stations, especially those at Koeberg.

Sure lets pay R150, but lets reduce all the staff, all the extra diesel purchases and get ready for more blackouts.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
No guarantee they will even pay that R150, if they were committed to that they would at least spend the R150 buying electricity every month.

The mere fact that they are opposed to prepaid meter says a lot.
Why spend if you can get it for free?