SpaceStream Home: Affordable voice and data satellite service for SA

stricken

Expert Member
“really good data speeds” != 512kbps

if i could get a 10mbit pipe in the middle of the Kalahari i would move tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tns

Executive Member
price will be to costly for normal user but just low enough for those who haven't got anything else

wazarmoto

We have had our lines stolen for the 3rd time this year. They've taken longer than usual to replace which makes me fear the worst. :(. As long as I get the same speeds I had before I won't mind this option. Otherwise telkom must just keep replacing. They can cut the CEOs salary by a few million this year. I'm sure it won't affect him.

jmak

anyhow hope this rolled out to rural areas first.
Since it is a satellite I don't think you have to worry about it being deployed to a certain area :)

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
We have had our lines stolen for the 3rd time this year. They've taken longer than usual to replace which makes me fear the worst. :(. As long as I get the same speeds I had before I won't mind this option. Otherwise telkom must just keep replacing. They can cut the CEOs salary by a few million this year. I'm sure it won't affect him.
Under which rock have you been hiding?

Telkom has a woman for a CEO

Centronix

Expert Member
Under which rock have you been hiding?

Telkom has a woman for a CEO

LOL. Back to the article, if it's priced right and the speeds are good then it won't be such a bad idea. I guess we'll have to wait and see. This should be beneficial to rural areas.

Spyk3r

Expert Member
I think this is great for people too far from an exchange or for people who's copper is constantly stolen, but as is usually the case, Latency will be terrible (I assume).

Wouldn't be viable for me then... Luckily I live close enough to the exchange to get decent speeds and I doubt any copper will get stolen on its route to my house (am I tempting fate now :p)

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I think this is a great initiative by Telkom, especially for rural guys who are looking for connectivity. To connect rural people is a global problem, and the price pint of between R400 and R500 is certainly very good.

I would however like to see that copper theft (cable theft may be a more accurate term) is classified as sabotage instead of theft in our law. It truly hurts the economy when electricity or telecoms cables are stolen, and it means unnecessary expenses for telecoms players (specifically Telkom).

vzta22

Well done Telkom! You're now sounding like you really mean business...

Joe Average

I think this is a great initiative by Telkom, especially for rural guys who are looking for connectivity. To connect rural people is a global problem, and the price pint of between R400 and R500 is certainly very good.

I would however like to see that copper theft (cable theft may be a more accurate term) is classified as sabotage instead of theft in our law. It truly hurts the economy when electricity or telecoms cables are stolen, and it means unnecessary expenses for telecoms players (specifically Telkom).

I know it's Friday, but is it not a bit early for a pint ?