SpaceX must have 30% black ownership to launch Starlink in South Africa – ICASA

rorz0r

Executive Member
So SpaceX registers an SA entity (they would have to anyway), does some deal with a rich black guy, then does whatever they need to sell the service etc in SA. SpaceX SA pays SpaceX USA for the hardware and rents services or whatever and *maybe* makes just enough profit to keep rich black guy happy.

How does that "economically empower" anyone that wasn't before?

zolly

Expert Member
So SpaceX registers an SA entity (they would have to anyway), does some deal with a rich black guy, then does whatever they need to sell the service etc in SA. SpaceX SA pays SpaceX USA for the hardware and rents services or whatever and *maybe* makes just enough profit to keep rich black guy happy.

It doesn't but it probably benefits the ANC-connected individual who is the "face" of SpaceX SA.

Swa

Honorary Master
What's a "temporary hold"?
Certain constitutional clauses are not enforced 'cause "restitution". There should have been a sunset clause and limitations built in for BEE/EE. Not that we believe it would have been a success or not have a negative impact regardless but it would have made everyone shut up by now. Not that the ANC would not have tried to change the agreed upon constitutional clauses.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SABC chimes in next, mandating that one is required to produce a TV license to buy a Starlink Terminal.
I wanted to laugh at this. The sad reality however is that at some point they no doubt would chime in with such a requirement even if not aimed at Starlink directly. The stupid is really running this circus now.

It is not as simple as that, the ANC have clamped down on fronting. It is now not acceptable to detail ownership without detailing the true ownership of value. Companies can not just say: "its 30% black owned", they have to prove that the black part truely owns 30% of the company and its profits.
30% of no profit is still no profit.

People complained about this 30% quota weeks ago when it was initially announced.
People complained throughout the process. I don't for a moment believe it has the claimed support. As usual though it does not matter how much you complain. The ANC will do what the ANC wants and push through idiocity. Like etolls and EWOC they most likely chucked any criticism into the bin and then claimed it has overwhelming support. Also very sneaky to do this on April 1st when most people don't believe the news sources. The ANC are opportunists of the first kind. They've started various processes lately during times when it would have been hard for people to comment or give insight.

Last edited:

The Light Green Hornet

South Africa is insignificant when it comes to global economic impact, so I wouldn't be surprised if they otherwise just give us a pass. It's an interesting one as Starlink's own equipment is all technically well outside SA so yes it's signals may pass through our space, but so do so many other signals. I suppose though the devices we buy are broadcasting/radio equipment and that requires ICASA spectrum licensing and approval just like any other radio/remote control devices... So it will boil down to us only being able to import/use ICASA licensed equipment (as has always been the case). We would take the risk of importing it and using it. The license granted to Starlink though means SA can control them like any other broadcaster...
Yup. What these idiots don't get is that SA is irrelevantly small ITO the USA economy. With this governments ignorance and arrogance he will just ignore them and move on.

Supersoaker

Either sarcasm or trolling.
I'm sure everyone knows I'm trolling, this BEE k*k doesn't even make any sense to me, heck race doesn't even make sense to me, get political members to take a genetic test and they will tell you its some evil western science invented by the white man because there is no way they can possess genes of a white man.

Instead of drawing conclusions based on the individuals morals and values you base it on their race and where they come from.

Swa

Honorary Master
I'm sure everyone knows I'm trolling, this BEE k*k doesn't even make any sense to me, heck race doesn't even make sense to me, get political members to take a genetic test and they will tell you its some evil western science invented by the white man because there is no way they can possess genes of a white man.

Instead of drawing conclusions based on the individuals morals and values you base it on their race and where they come from.
Yeah I figured. Was just the last few posts of yours were all of the sarcastic kind.

cda

Why is everyone here assuming SpaceX gives a rats petootie about a few potential customers in South Africa when they have literally the entire planet at their disposal.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Why is everyone here assuming SpaceX gives a rats petootie about a few potential customers in South Africa when they have literally the entire planet at their disposal.
Footprint.

boboudts

That doesn't justify it, or make it morally correct in any way.
By world standards, the anc's racist legislation is an abomination and needs to be addressed by those countries who forced these thugs on our society and economy!