SPAM, thank you ABSA for selling my Internet Banking email address

killadoob

Honorary Master
Well i do not know the email but is it possible the spammers just guessed right?

I doubt that when one of absa's thousands of clients closes an account they start selling your email LOL. If it is one email just ignore it.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Wonder how much profit can be made by selling email addresses off?

Not that I'd do it, kust curious.

Maybe I can create a fictional company with a ton of email addresses, and sell those off? :D:D:D:D

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Come to think of it - just create a ton of virtual domains with a ton of fictional companies and users - you'll be set for a steady stream of revenue from the spammers :D:D:D:D

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
LOL T_L, I refuse to compromise my principles and will not sink to the depths that spammers frequent to make money, luckily I like my job and I enjoy working hard for a living.

But that's exactly why I'm posting this - so another scammer will pick it up and run with it :D

Mila

Honorary Master
We were talking about this too. But regarding your telephone number.

Cell C has been driving me insane the last week. Where did they get my number. Someone said that they think it's the bank.

Sackboy

Executive Member
Sadly, ABSA are famous for doing this. When you are opening an account and saying NO SPAM, they are behind their little screen furiously ticking ALL the boxes that earn them money. You only know about it when you raise a query with the bank.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Thank goodness I closed my Blapsa bank account a long time ago. Maybe they're still sending spam to my (now defunct) mweb email address :D

AnomalyNexus

Internet Banking, would violate ABSA's own indemnity where phishing etc actually results in a breach of a customer's account.
Cell C has been driving me insane the last week. Where did they get my number.
Strange. My dad is complaining about those two too. Nothing else just those.

Maybe the ASA can help. Also bank ombudsman. Bank ombudsman first, he has the power to hit the banks pretty hard. Don't bother speaking to ABSA about it they'll just bury you in BS.

Tom427

Let me reanimate a bit:
I got those spam mails when I had my last business to a mail exclusively used for ABSA. I closed that business account with ABSA a while back. Quite recently I started mailing ABSA again for other queries, from a new mail account. Guess what: The spam mails arrive again (at my old mail address!).

In my eyes someone has the mail data base from about 3 years ago and the spam mails are triggered within ABSA, or near their server. How else would I get spam mails again, 3 years later to the old mail address (NOT to the new one)?

Recruitsmiths

Wonder how much profit can be made by selling email addresses off?
Maybe I can create a fictional company with a ton of email addresses, and sell those off? :D:D:D:D

Well, I don't know if it's fictitious or legitimate - but I notice a guy on Gumtree with almost a permanent advert, regularly:
300 000 email addresses for only R500

Zewp

Banned
We were talking about this too. But regarding your telephone number.

Cell C has been driving me insane the last week. Where did they get my number. Someone said that they think it's the bank.

My cellphone contract upgrade is overdue by about 6 months now, and I'm being driven nuts by Vodacom outlets trying to sell me phones. Agents from goddamned Durban are calling me to try and sell me upgrades and I live in Cape Town. I'm getting them at least 3 or 4 times a week now and I really wish it would just stop. I don't need to upgrade right now because my phone is still fine.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Well, I don't know if it's fictitious or legitimate - but I notice a guy on Gumtree with almost a permanent advert, regularly:
300 000 email addresses for only R500

From what I know that list is not "verified", therefore the ridiculously low cost.

"verified" lists go for a whole lot more than that.

cpu.

Executive Member
My cellphone contract upgrade is overdue by about 6 months now, and I'm being driven nuts by Vodacom outlets trying to sell me phones. Agents from goddamned Durban are calling me to try and sell me upgrades and I live in Cape Town. I'm getting them at least 3 or 4 times a week now and I really wish it would just stop. I don't need to upgrade right now because my phone is still fine.
You're too polite. A few f-words and placing the phone down while you're "looking" for Mr X and they will stop. :D

Zewp

Banned
Yeah, but it's usually different shops that call me and send me SMSes. The worst part is most of these dealerships are merely trying to scam people. My mother got a phone call from one last year and she agreed to one of the contracts they offered her, but then they tried to nail her with exorbitant hidden delivery costs. R500 to courier a phone from Gauteng. They probably pay much less than that and then pocket the rest for themselves.

Either way, I'm a bit off topic, but I'd really like to know whether it's Vodacom giving out my details. My contract is with Vodacom at Makro Milnerton. It has nothing to do with any other dealerships, much less dealerships from Durban.