SPCA to open case against impatient CT man seen driving over two goslings in CBD

konfab

Honorary Master

Gordon_R

Expert Member
About once a year I have blocked traffic in our area, when goslings try to cross a busy road on the way to the wetland in the middle Kenilworth Racecourse. It takes a bit of boldness to stand in front of an oncoming car, but most people are happy to stop and watch the geese. I'm not sure where they are heading to down Adderley Street, maybe The Company Gardens?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Cruelty to animals is illegal you know.
Sure if you domesticated them and took ownership of them. These were "in the wild".

But how is this any different than hunting with a rifle? He just used a car.

Not defending the behaviour, just wondering if there is really any legal standing.

schumi

Honorary Master
Sure if you domesticated them and took ownership of them. These were "in the wild".

But how is this any different than hunting with a rifle? He just used a car.

Not defending the behaviour, just wondering if there is really any legal standing.
Also wonder if the driver could see that all ducks did not pass

Appears as if "cruelty to animals" does apply to wild ones too.

https://www.iol.co.za/news/man-in-court-over-death-of-baboon-1240141

A Fish Hoek man, accused of shooting a baboon, appeared in the Simon’s Town Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday to face animal cruelty charges in violation of the Animal Protection Act.

Louis Goosen was originally scheduled to enter a plea on Tuesday, but told the magistrate that he thought he should take legal aid, which delayed his trial.

Goosen is also charged with hunting without a licence in terms of the Nature Conservancy ordinances, and illegally discharging a firearm in a built-up area.

Last November, Goosen allegedly shot a baboon known as Nosketti with a .22 calibre rifle.

The bullet lodged in the animal’s spine and he was put down due to debilitating injuries.

The SPCA X-rayed the animal and found more than 100 foreign objects in the animal’s body.

Nosketti, a baboon well-known in the area, had been scheduled to be part of a documentary before his death.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sounds one sided an anecdotal.

They've already assumed the person could see perfectly clearly and did so willfully.

If they were that close to the car odds are you didn't see jack **** and didn't know what the commotion was about. Being SA potentially being frightened of frantic hipsters waving you down in the CBD and decided to get the hell out of there.

Looking at the angle of the car to the ducks one can assume they would have seen the adults, but the goslings should have been pretty much invisible to them.

Not to mention the massive box the idiot has on their dashboard. Should be jailed just for that.

Give the Mazda some credit, they had a 75% success rate. That gives you a pass mark in just about any institution. :)

DreamKing

Executive Member
You might as well given that cruelty to animals is a really good indicator of further criminal behavior.
first, I said that already I don't agree with him. I also stop for those little creatures to pass, I won't kill them.

second, I don't really understand what is the charge. you kill the animals instantly it doesn't imply that is "cruelty".

don't be emotional, be rational. :)

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
I live near a water feature and have watched two hatchings of Egyptian Geese and all their little ones carefully making their way from the tree where the nest was across some open land to get to the water.

Too many human viruses -- too many non-human species going extinct at an alarming rate

Perhaps the perp could be let loose on the N1 at 07h00 blindfolded