SPCA to open case against impatient CT man seen driving over two goslings in CBD

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
At the risk of being lynched, I'd say it's perfectly possible that the driver couldn't see the goslings, and also it's an assumption that he was aware of what people were trying to tell him.
Maybe its just me - but I try to make damn sure its clear in front or behind my car if I know there are kids or small animals around.

(Blame a childhood memory of the neighbor reversing over his daughter.)

Last edited:

daveza

Honorary Master
At the risk of being lynched, I'd say it's perfectly possible that the driver couldn't see the goslings, and also it's an assumption that he was aware of what people were trying to tell him.

Every single witness says he was very aware, people were telling him to stop and he ignored them.

daveza

Honorary Master
Rats are pests and a health hazard but they still have to be killed humanely.

My concern is re those who had to witness this, particularly any children.

I hope this guy gets the maximum penalty available.

mattrudlles

Section 1 of the Animal Control Act defines an "animal" as any equine, bovine, sheep, goat, pig, fowl, ostrich, dog, cat or other domestic animal or bird, or any wild animal, wild bird or reptile which is in captivity or under the control of any person.

Section 2(1)(a) of the Act stipulates that it is an offence to overload, overdrive, override, ill-treat, neglect, infuriate, torture or maim or cruelly beat, kick, goad or terrify any animal; or ...

Specific offences dealing with the trapping, poisoning, and so on of wild animals specifically, but not killing generally.

I don't see how he is being charged under this Act.

But a disgusting person nevertheless if he did this on purpose.

Last edited:

Polly101

Section 1 of the Animal Control Act defines an "animal" as any equine, bovine, sheep, goat, pig, fowl, ostrich, dog, cat or other domestic animal or bird, or any wild animal, wild bird or reptile which is in captivity or under the control of any person.

Section 2(1)(a) of the Act stipulates that it is an offence to overload, overdrive, override, ill-treat, neglect, infuriate, torture or maim or cruelly beat, kick, goad or terrify any animal; or ...

Specific offences dealing with the trapping, poisoning, and so on of wild animals specifically, but not killing generally.

I don't see how he is being charged under this Act.

But a disgusting person nevertheless if he did this on purpose.

mattrudlles

It's in the passage you quoted, go check:

View attachment 579310
overdrive, overload, override don't mean to drive over an animal. It means to overwork them.

verb
verb: overdrive; 3rd person present: overdrives; past tense: overdrove; gerund or present participle: overdriving; past participle: overdriven
  1. 1.
    drive or work to exhaustion.
    "an overdriven mother of ten children"

Polly101

overdrive, overload, override don't mean to drive over an animal. It means to overwork them.

verb
verb: overdrive; 3rd person present: overdrives; past tense: overdrove; gerund or present participle: overdriving; past participle: overdriven
  1. 1.
    drive or work to exhaustion.
    "an overdriven mother of ten children"
sorry did I forget the sarcasm font again?

Knyro

Honorary Master
Rats are pests and a health hazard but they still have to be killed humanely.

My concern is re those who had to witness this, particularly any children.

I hope this guy gets the maximum penalty available.
Have you seen what rat poison does? People don't give two shytes about how rats or other pests are killed.

But let it be a "cute" animal and all hell breaks loose.

daveza

Honorary Master
Have you seen what rat poison does? People don't give two shytes about how rats or other pests are killed.

But let it be a "cute" animal and all hell breaks loose.
Yup, and good looking people get more breaks than ugly ones.

Life just isn't fair...

schumi

Honorary Master
What do you do if you run over an animal and its dead, do you toss it on the side of the road or take it and bury it ?

schumi

Honorary Master
SPCA opens case against driver who 'deliberately' killed two Egyptian goslings

A motorist accused of deliberately running over and killing two Egyptian goslings in the Cape Town CBD last week has been identified and traced, the SPCA said on Thursday.

"We can confirm a case has been opened [on Wednesday] with Cape Town central police," said Cape of Good Hope SPCA spokesperson Belinda Abraham.

Western Cape police confirmed that they were investigating the animal cruelty case.

Abraham said they had strong evidence and it was now in the hands of the police to decide whether to lay charges and make an arrest.

The incident, involving a grey Mazda, was captured on video on Friday and caused a large outcry on social media.

Distressed

A passer-by had been filming a family of Egyptian geese - two adults and six goslings - which were crossing the road at the intersection of Spin and Adderley streets when the motorist drove over them, allegedly intentionally.

The animals had used a pedestrian crossing.

The SPCA dispatched representatives to the scene to retrieve the remains of the goslings, which would have been taken in for a post-mortem and used for evidence. But the remains had already been disposed of by the time they arrived.
More at: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...erately-killed-two-egyptian-goslings-20181115