Special tribunal to claw back state's 'stolen' billions to start next week

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
"The era of impunity is behind us," Justice Minister Ronald Lamola warned as he announced that the special tribunal to recover billions looted from the state will commence its work on October 1.

On Thursday, Lamola gazetted the regulations for the Special Investigation Unit’s Special Tribunal. These regulations came into effect upon their publication in the Government Gazette.

The tribunal was established by President Cyril Ramaphosa in February, after an announcement to that effect in his State of the Nation Address.

The Special Tribunal will be fully operational from next Tuesday and the value of cases ready for adjudication and recovery stands at R14.7bn, according to a statement from the Ministry of Justice.

Corruption, fraud and illicit money flows

"Our fight against corruption, fraud and illicit money flows has been given real impetus. This Tribunal is a swift mechanism to claw back every cent that was stolen from the fiscus. The era of impunity is behind us, the establishment of the Tribunal gives effect to the President's SONA undertaking to have a special tribunal operating within three months," stated Lamola.

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
So, judging by the way the ANC deals with fraud and corruption, all offenders will be re-appointed by the tribunal, be offered higher positions with higher salaries and then force them to recover R50 a month.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I hope someone is keeping tabs on how much these tribunals, inquiries and commissions are costing so that we can actually see the real financial benefit of this? I guess it is good in the sense of it sens a message that corruption will no longer be toleratated and the chickens will come home to roost ... even if it is 10 years later.

I just worry that lets say we manage to claw back 10 billion realistically .... but all these tribunals and commissions ends up costing us 9 billion ... then what was the point really.

Urg .... guess I am just being a negative mary. :confused:

grok

Honorary Master
I'm sure Zuma & the Guptas are quaking in their boots..

TysonRoux

Executive Member
I hope someone is keeping tabs on how much these tribunals, inquiries and commissions are costing so that we can actually see the real financial benefit of this? I guess it is good in the sense of it sens a message that corruption will no longer be toleratated and the chickens will come home to roost ... even if it is 10 years later.

I just worry that lets say we manage to claw back 10 billion realistically .... but all these tribunals and commissions ends up costing us 9 billion ... then what was the point really.

Urg .... guess I am just being a negative mary. :confused:
Absolutely worth it, and the cherry on the top will be the jailing of the cadres, ........ yes, wishful thinking.

3WA

Executive Member
Who is smart enough to steal billions of rands, but not smart enough to stash it beyond recovery in a three-year timespan?

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
But the people who stole the billions are in Dubai? And the imbeciles who enabled them and got millions spent it on luxury cars and Johnny Walker Blue?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Only the small fish will fry, zuma and the top ministers will walk away unharmed.
What happens to the big fish is up to the small fish, if they are happy to take the fall then there is nothing that can be done.

Last edited:

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Now the right way to do this will require snatch teams, special powers and a firing squad.

surface

Executive Member
What happens to the big fish is up to the small fish, if they are happy to take the fall then there is nothing that can be done.
I say below as a relative outsider though. And with full understanding that it easier to type this anonymously in 2019 than saying this openly in1994. :)

There has been too much leniency here. I read issues were extremely complex back then but TRC & all that amnesty charade under the guise of holier-than-thou spirit was the worst way to deal with it. There should have been some strict public court trials to investigate corruption and criminality right from that point on-wards.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Special Tribunal freezes pension of ex-head of State Attorney's office in first order

Judge Gidfonia Makhanya of the Special Tribunal has granted an interim order that the pension of the former head of the State Attorney, Kgosi Lekabe, be frozen pending the finalisation of proceedings against him. Lekabe was also ordered to pay the costs of Tuesday's hearing.

R13...

Honorary Master
Special Tribunal freezes pension of ex-head of State Attorney's office in first order

Interesting, didn't think pensions could be seized for corruption. If he stole as much as the corruption reported about the state attorney he must have lots of it stashed somewhere.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Interesting, didn't think pensions could be seized for corruption. If he stole as much as the corruption reported about the state attorney he must have lots of it stashed somewhere.
They probably recognized that it was disguised to look like a pension.

access

Executive Member
another circus. is this their new cash cow, tribunals and commissions, with a dash of business rescue.

this going after smaller guys to get the bigger guys is a load of kak in my opinion.

you go after the head and the body dies, then you clean up the rest of the despondent mess.

currently this makes me think of hydra, all the smaller guys are tentacles that are just morphing and multiplying into something else each time one is cut out.

thechamp

Honorary Master
another circus. is this their new cash cow, tribunals and commissions, with a dash of business rescue.

this going after smaller guys to get the bigger guys is a load of kak in my opinion.

you go after the head and the body dies, then you clean up the rest of the despondent mess.

currently this makes me think of hydra, all the smaller guys are tentacles that are just morphing and multiplying into something else each time one is cut out.
I am very intrigued as to how does that make sense to you, this going after the small guys to get to the big guy is a tried and tested technique that has been used since forever, how else do you get evidence to put the big guy away?