Special tribunal to claw back state's 'stolen' billions to start next week

access

Honorary Master
I am very intrigued as to how does that make sense to you, this going after the small guys to get to the big guy is a tried and tested technique that has been used since forever, how else do you get evidence to put the big guy away?

oh yeah, because its been working so far... right... lol even some of the small fry that blew the whistle are in jail. its a farce.

going after the head of an operation is also an age old tried and tested technique, or do you think i just made it up.

do you really believe there is not a shred of evidence against any of the top guys.

this small fry thing is just starting to sound like more smoke and mirrors while the big guys carry on.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
oh yeah, because its been working so far... right... lol even some of the small fry that blew the whistle are in jail. its a farce.

going after the head of an operation is also an age old tried and tested technique, or do you think i just made it up.

do you really believe there is not a shred of evidence against any of the top guys.

this small fry thing is just starting to sound like more smoke and mirrors while the big guys carry on.
It's all simple when you have evidence or when the head was stupid enough to get their hands dirty other than that there is no other way of doing it, getting angry about it is not going to change anything.

access

Honorary Master
It's all simple when you have evidence or when the head was stupid enough to get their hands dirty other than that there is no other way of doing it, getting angry about it is not going to change anything.

i dont think there is any will to go after the big guys, their entire world will implode as someone mentioned earlier.

so instead you keep the mob busy with drama and antics, seen every friggin day.

also, isnt it strange that when the scorpions were in operation they managed to gain mountains of evidence against top guys and were quickly stopped, but these new mossies cant seem to find any evidence... i wonder why that is...

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Judging by the amount of nouveau riche I see in their Golf Estate houses and Range Rovers, I think there are still plenty of assets to seize.

yebocan

Honorary Master
Judging by the amount of nouveau riche I see in their Golf Estate houses and Range Rovers, I think there are still plenty of assets to seize.
..thought the party would not end and consequence would not come knocking... ask old Zandile Gumede, multiple properties, vehicles ... living the life, living the life life...

Milano

Honorary Master
also, isnt it strange that when the scorpions were in operation they managed to gain mountains of evidence against top guys and were quickly stopped, but these new mossies cant seem to find any evidence... i wonder why that is...
Amen.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
another circus. is this their new cash cow, tribunals and commissions, with a dash of business rescue.

this going after smaller guys to get the bigger guys is a load of kak in my opinion.

you go after the head and the body dies, then you clean up the rest of the despondent mess.

currently this makes me think of hydra, all the smaller guys are tentacles that are just morphing and multiplying into something else each time one is cut out.
Have you changed your mind or are you still standing firm that this special tribunal is one massive circus?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I hope someone is keeping tabs on how much these tribunals, inquiries and commissions are costing so that we can actually see the real financial benefit of this? I guess it is good in the sense of it sens a message that corruption will no longer be toleratated and the chickens will come home to roost ... even if it is 10 years later.

I just worry that lets say we manage to claw back 10 billion realistically .... but all these tribunals and commissions ends up costing us 9 billion ... then what was the point really.

Urg .... guess I am just being a negative mary. :confused:
From an economic perspective: nothing, as you have pointed out.
From a justice perspective, and consistent reinforcing of consequences for actions (and inactions): Priceless.

chrisc

Executive Member
Who is smart enough to steal billions of rands, but not smart enough to stash it beyond recovery in a three-year timespan?
The usual scenario is to spend it as soon as possible, buying bling toys and ostentatious houses

access

Honorary Master
Oh? I see what's the problem now, you don't understand it works.

the problem is, i dont believe anything that comes from our national government, not a thing. in actual fact. i will believe the exact opposite of what they say they are doing.

they just put up a show like a circus and in the background recycle the same clowns.

sad and funny thing is, this money clawed back, if it even is clawed back. will just go towards another corrupt activity.

round and round we go.

if in the end, you can say look, its all done. i will say yes, you were right. until then. ...lol :sleep:

edit:

its strange that they can find so much fault/wrongdoing to forfeit funds to the state, but this does not implicate someone to the extent of arrest. so theyre guilty, but not really guilty, at least not for now.

Last edited:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
the problem is, i dont believe anything that comes from our national government, not a thing. in actual fact. i will believe the exact opposite of what they say they are doing.

they just put up a show like a circus and in the background recycle the same clowns.

sad and funny thing is, this money clawed back, if it even is clawed back. will just go towards another corrupt activity.

round and round we go.

if in the end, you can say look, its all done. i will say yes, you were right. until then. ...lol :sleep:

edit:

its strange that they can find so much fault/wrongdoing to forfeit funds to the state, but this does not implicate someone to the extent of arrest. so theyre guilty, but not really guilty, at least not for now.
There's actually nothing strange about it, you need to do some reading on the differences between criminal prosecution and civil litigation and you'll see why it easier and much faster to recover money and seize assets that it is to to complete a criminal prosecution.

After a case has been referred to the AFU, the matter is referred to the investigators for investigation. The main functions of the investigators are the following:
• Investigating cases with forfeiture potential;
• Identifying cases with forfeiture potential;
• Compiling financial profiles on suspects
linked to cases with forfeiture potential;

Asset forfeiture proceedings are civil proceedings.The standard of proof is therefore proof on a balance of probabilities and not beyond a
reasonable doubt. This makes it easier to obtain such orders.
You can also read up on the SIU, they operate in pretty much the same way.

Attachments

• FAQs on AFU.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 0