Splitting international and local traffic on a Linksys WRT54G

Jonno2343

Yeah, thanks for all the work you put into this script GC.
You have saved us all lots of money over the past few years - you're up there with Afrihost and MWEB now in my books.
Thanks again ;)

CodeMaster

Expert Member
Yip, big *Thumbs-Up* this side too :)

While I am here though, since you all use DD-WRT... how many of you make use of QOS (Quality of Service)? Does it work, and is it reasonably reliable?
I remember trying it ages ago with the original Linksys F/W with not very good results.
Anyone mind posting a screen-shot of their QOS setup page as an example?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Funny you should ask, I have just tried it but I'm not convinced it works properly. I tried throttling torrents, edonkey et al while allowing http priority. Not convinced it worked...

qinglung

Expert Member
Funny you should ask, I have just tried it but I'm not convinced it works properly. I tried throttling torrents, edonkey et al while allowing http priority. Not convinced it worked...
I pretty much tried the same, putting torrents and NNTP on lowest priority, and HTTP and email on highest priority. So any HTTP or emails should've made NNTP and torrents crawl. Never happened. Everything kept downloading as if no QoS was present.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Well, the script lives on. Loving my MWeb uncapped account, but I found news server shaping a little too severe in daylight hours. I've still got my TI account, so I'm using it for additional news connections to the SAIX news server. Works a treat on cached content.

bokka1

Expert Member
I have been thinking the same thing, this ****ty uncapped is not my thing. The chances are good that I am going back to the splitting.

toxicehc

ok gents, 110 pages later and I do not have the time or the inclination to read all of this forum thread..

I have procured a router whch is running dd-wrt and I am both confused and amused.

What is my next step here ?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Pada is correct, its quite simple to do based on those steps. Just install the new firmware, then add the scripts and change the usernames/passwords and you are done.

toxicehc

ok gents. I modified the scripts and slapped it into my router and nothing.....

help? TP-Link TL-WR1043ND is my router with Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) std

Pada

Executive Member
I've posted the answer in another thread too :)
toxichc:
I hope that you've placed your ADSL router/modem in bridge mode and connected the broadband router's (which is running DD-WRT firmware) WAN port to the ADSL router.
Run ifconfig from the terminal and see if its WAN port is called nic-vlan1. If it's not that, then you need to change the startup script.

You can also try to dial the PPPoE connection manually from the terminal with the following command:
pppd plugin /usr/lib/rp-pppoe.so $nic noipdefault noauth nodefaultroute noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp nomppe nomppc usepeerdns user $1 password $2 default-asyncmap mtu 1492 mru 1492 persist lcp-echo-interval $tmo lcp-echo-failure 10 maxfail 0 holdoff 30 unit $ppn

Replace $nic with the name of the WAN interface (ie. nic-vlan1), $1 with the username (ie. guest@telkomsa.net), $2 with password and $ppn with the number of the PPPoE connection that you're dialing, starting at 0

toxicehc

no luck there, naturally my setup is working without the script ( router in bridge mode, connected to wan, username in the setup on the gui...) that is how I am accessing this forum currently :)

Here is the command as I used it:

pppd plugin /usr/lib/rp-pppoe.so vlan1 noipdefault noauth nodefaultroute noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp nomppe nomppc usepeerdns user [username] password [pwd] default-asyncmap mtu 1492 mru 1492 persist lcp-echo-interval $tmo lcp-echo-failure 10 maxfail 0 holdoff 30 unit 0

My interfaces:

ath0
br0
br0:0
eth0
lo
ppp0
vlan1
vlan2
wifi0

Pada

Executive Member
toxichc: sorry, I missed the $tmo variable in that line, which is set to 60.

You'll have to look at the VLAN & bridge configurations, because I really can't tell which interface is the WAN port :(

toxicehc

From the interface I pickup that the WAN interface is mapped to VLAN2.

My router is a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND as recommended by people on mybroadband...

Pada

Executive Member
ok, so what happens if you run:
pppd plugin /usr/lib/rp-pppoe.so vlan2 noipdefault noauth nodefaultroute noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp nomppe nomppc usepeerdns user [username] password [pwd] default-asyncmap mtu 1492 mru 1492 persist lcp-echo-interval 60 lcp-echo-failure 10 maxfail 0 holdoff 30 unit 0

After you ran that, run ifconfig and look for ppp0.
If ppp0 has an IP address, then you can try that script again. Or run route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 ppp0 and see if you can then ping like www.take2.co.za on its IP address: 196.33.12.47

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
I don't know anything about that router, but if it is loading dd-wrt std firmware then it will work, provided it is using the correct $nic variable and the lights are configured properly - some routers will reset if the auxl, intl and locl light variables are not right. Reading above, though, it looks like you will need to change from vlan1 to vlan2 for the nic variable. I'm not sure at all about the lights. But if there is a problem, you could try out the same light configuration of the ASUS or WRT310N which can be found in the script:

You can change

Code:
#Linksys WRT54G/GS/GL
nic=nic-vlan1
auxl=2
intl=3
locl=7

#Exceptions
case $(nvram get DD_BOARD) in
 "Asus WL-520GU/GC" )
  auxl=4; intl=0; locl=1
 ;;
 "Linksys WRT310N" )
  auxl=1; intl=1; locl=3
  nic=nic-vlan1
 ;;
esac
to something like

Code:
#TP-Link
nic=nic-vlan2
auxl=1
intl=1
locl=3
but you may need to experiment with the lights to get exactly what you want.

toxicehc

ok, so what happens if you run:
pppd plugin /usr/lib/rp-pppoe.so vlan2 noipdefault noauth nodefaultroute noaccomp noccp nobsdcomp nodeflate nopcomp novj novjccomp nomppe nomppc usepeerdns user [username] password [pwd] default-asyncmap mtu 1492 mru 1492 persist lcp-echo-interval 60 lcp-echo-failure 10 maxfail 0 holdoff 30 unit 0

After you ran that, run ifconfig and look for ppp0.
If ppp0 has an IP address, then you can try that script again. Or run route add -net 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0 ppp0 and see if you can then ping like www.take2.co.za on its IP address: 196.33.12.47
Joy! That appears to work.... going to try the script agani!

toxicehc

ok so put in the startup scripts and all is well!

I got 2 ppoe connections and it is looking very lekker.

Interesting side note: all my videos on xbox live is streaming in superfast 3.5mbps now as apposed to the usual 1mbps that I got from some ISP's.....

Gatecrasher: despite the 110 pages singing your praises I just wanna add and say bloody brilliant!

Ok. so I am loving the splitting so far and I think it is better than the invention of sliced cheese... :)

Pada

Executive Member
toxichc: could you post your nic, light variables and the value of "$(nvram get DD_BOARD)" so that Gatecrasher can add it to his script for other users with that same router :)
You might have to use echo to get the DD_BOARD value.