Sports associations want vaccinated fans at stadiums

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
PSL has made it clear they don't.

Can't help but wonder is DSTV is at least partially responsible for their reluctance.

R13...

Honorary Master
PSL has made it clear they don't.

Can't help but wonder is DSTV is at least partially responsible for their reluctance.
What don't they want? No fans no matter their vaccination status or rather prefer a free for all, vaccinated or not?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What don't they want? No fans no matter their vaccination status or rather prefer a free for all, vaccinated or not?
Their current stance
MEDIA STATEMENT

06 OCTOBER 2021

PSL STATEMENT ON COVID-19 MATCH DAY PROTOCOL

There have been suggestions, after the President’s address on Thursday 30 September 2021, that it might be possible to allow a limited number of spectators to attend upcoming PSL matches.

Unfortunately, the new Disaster Management Act regulations continue to prohibit spectators at matches.

Section 69(10) of the regulations requires “strict adherence” to the provisions which have limited those permitted at matches to persons strictly necessary for the match.

Sub-section 69 (10) (d) expressly confirms that “no spectators are allowed at the venue of the sports match” and subsections 12 and 13 make attendance (and permitting attendance) a criminal offence.

It is important that all PSL supporters and fans understand this.

The League Covid-19 protocol and the process which regulates the persons who are permitted to attend matches will remain in place until such time as there are new regulatory changes.

ENDS

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That is just the position of government which they have to abide by, it does not imply they are opposed to what is being said.
Does it give you any indication that, like SAFA and SARU (and afaik CSA), that they are for it? PSL won't even let media in to cover matches.

Reactions: Swa

neoprema

Executive Member
Good idea, but I do wonder if its an outdoor stadium is it really necessary? The risk must be higher for indoors - and I can understand for example someone like Ster Kinekor mandating a vaccine passport, hell I think i'll only go IF they do. But a stadium is generally open, the wind blows etc.?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Does it give you any indication that, like SAFA and SARU (and afaik CSA), that they are for it? PSL won't even let media in to cover matches.
I honestly cannot understand why they wouldn't support it.

What I also don't understand is if there has been an explicit statement from government about fans at soccer games or not, it is surely not up to the sports bodies? Unless of course they have been given permission to use their own discretion.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
I think that the people who would feel more comfortable outnumber the people that would be put off by the requirement.

I for one, would not go to a public event that does not require vaccinations.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am still curious how this process will work at public venues, and how the new digital vaccine certificates are scanned and authenticated by the venue owners, and whether there is an onus on the venue for curbing any spread of the virus?

If people only have to show their record of vaccination, SMS or certificate, then it will defeat the mechanism of public health and security.

garp

Executive Member
I honestly don't understand why everybody seems to be going in this direction all over the world when you consider:

1. We know that being vaccinated doesn't mean you're immune, especially from the dominant delta variant (e.g. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...accinated-people-have-similar-levels-of-virus).

2. If you had any faith in the vaccination, then why would you care about being exposed to unvaccinated people anyway?

3. Up to 80% of South Africans have had Covid and data shows that they have as good if not better immunity. https://www.news24.com/fin24/compan...ns-may-have-had-covid-discovery-says-20210818 https://www.science.org/content/art...er-immunity-vaccine-vaccination-remains-vital

JustAsk

Expert Member
I am still curious how this process will work at public venues, and how the new digital vaccine certificates are scanned and authenticated by the venue owners, and whether there is an onus on the venue for curbing any spread of the virus?

If people only have to show their record of vaccination, SMS or certificate, then it will defeat the mechanism of public health and security.
It will work same way as overseas like many other covid things.

Scanned at the gate/door, shows vaxxed with id pic. Still the silly rules in place, like distance, x% capacity.of stadium.

It was never about public health/safety, but everything to inconvience the unvaxxed to get them to vax.

Reactions: Swa

garp

Executive Member
I think that the people who would feel more comfortable outnumber the people that would be put off by the requirement.

I for one, would not go to a public event that does not require vaccinations.
Interesting opinion, considering over 80% of the country is not fully vaccinated and the vaccine doesn't seem to protect you from infection anyway. The main thing is that having had the vaccine you'll supposedly have milder symptoms, but since you can get infected anyway, I don't see why it makes any difference being around unvaccinated people. I'm "fully vaccinated" but I frankly couldn't care less whether anyone around me is or isn't.

BBSA

Honorary Master
They should allow fans at games as most people probably have immunity against current variants (via vaccinations or naturally).

Nicodeamus

Honorary Master
Vaccines do not stop transmission, it's just another way to "nudge" the public into obedience.

here is a good discussion on how these polls are manipulated,

The people who suppose mandates on the basis of a lie have to be ashamed of themselves.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It will work same way as overseas like many other covid things.

Scanned at the gate/door, shows vaxxed with id pic. Still the silly rules in place, like distance, x% capacity.of stadium.

It was never about public health/safety, but everything to inconvience the unvaxxed to get them to vax.

I know this, but maybe I should have said how private owned public venues will grant access, how they can confirm that the COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card or the Digital Certificate is authentic, and what kind of reporting needs to happen.

In the UK, for example, they use their NHS mobile app. I want to know what we are going to use, and how we are planning on globally standardising our system?

This is a question I have long sought, but I will await to see the solution in practice.

I have read that some populations are concerned of which information of their health records may now be publicly accessible.

I am vaccinated so from a personal health perspective I am not concerned, but I am curious in finding out whether this system can be gamed, and whether some public venues will be gaming the system themselves for getting their seats filled.

Roger Banana

I know this, but maybe I should have said how private owned public venues will grant access, how they can confirm that the COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card or the Digital Certificate is authentic, and what kind of reporting needs to happen.

In the UK, for example, they use their NHS mobile app. I want to know what we are going to use, and how we are planning on globally standardising our system?

This is a question I have long sought, but I will await to see the solution in practice.

I have read that some populations are concerned of which information of their health records may now be publicly accessible.

I am vaccinated so from a personal health perspective I am not concerned, but I am curious in finding out whether this system can be gamed, and whether some public venues will be gaming the system themselves for getting their seats filled.
In theory I assume it would work as follows:
1. Your QR code is scanned, which will output your ID number and proof that the certificate is valid.
2. The venue will then need to compare the ID number on the output vs. your proof ID (drivers or ID card / book).
3. Assuming it's all correct, they let you in.

In reality... who knows if this would work. I can see it maybe working at restaurants and cinemas, but at sporting events it's just too many people.