Spotify’s new group session feature is great for playing music at parties

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator

Spotify has launched a new feature which allows multiple users to control music playback on the same device.

The new group session tool is now available as a beta feature for Premium subscribers on the Spotify app for smartphones and tablets.

Each participant in a group session is able to play, pause, skip, and queue songs playing on a single host device.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
A bunch of drunk people at a party with more than one person that has control of the music...what could possibly go wrong....
You need to go to different parties.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Meh just use bluetooth.

One of the best things about Spotify is that you seldom need to ever connect via Bluetooth or a cable. It has native apps almost everywhere that connect directly, and you can use your phone as a remote. So much better for audio quality and reliability. And it means you don't have to worry about drifting too far from the music player.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
One of the best things about Spotify is that you seldom need to ever connect via Bluetooth or a cable. It has native apps almost everywhere that connect directly, and you can use your phone as a remote. So much better for audio quality and reliability. And it means you don't have to worry about drifting too far from the music player.
You still have to connect to a speaker of some sort, no?

Preferably a proper BT speaker.

What do you use to play music via Spotify?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

Spotify has launched a new feature which allows multiple users to control music playback on the same device.

The new group session tool is now available as a beta feature for Premium subscribers on the Spotify app for smartphones and tablets.

Each participant in a group session is able to play, pause, skip, and queue songs playing on a single host device.
This will lead to total chaos...what a kak idea.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

BT speakers are usually crap if that's all they do. The Spotify apps on my Amazon Fire Stick, PS4 Pro and Xiaomi media box work independently of any other device, and they are part of decent audio setups. Newer vehicles with LTE connections can connect directly to Spotify, as pretty much all manufacturers have a Spotify app.

It's not the only platform with apps, but it has by far the best coverage and Spotify Connect is a critical part of it.

markings

Expert Member

Bluetooth is prone to dropouts in a totally random manner. Very annoying. Never use Bluetooth if it is a public performance unless you want to be seen as an incompetent person.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Bluetooth is prone to dropouts in a totally random manner. Very annoying. Never use Bluetooth if it is a public performance unless you want to be seen as an incompetent person.
Strange works fine for me even on my el cheapo Rpi 4. So much so that I canceled Spotify and moved to Youtube Premium Family.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
This will lead to total chaos...what a kak idea.

Not only will the other oke tune you about your braai and turn your grid when you turn your back, they will now also change the music and play their crap.... imagine Kurt Darren suddenly interrupting your lovely Led Zeppelin guitar solo... :sick:

LCBXX

Honorary Master

You play your music on anything that streams from Spotify. Spotify allows you to control another, Spotify-running/playing device, from your phone's Spotify, for instance. You can drive to the shops and control the music playing in your house. This new feature now allows you to permit others who have Spotify to do the same.

This feature, where you can remotely control another Spotify device, is literally all that's keeping me from jumping ship to YouTube Music. That, and Spotify's crossfading feature.

EDIT: Apparently Deezer can do this too? Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

6spdmanual

I'll be more impressed when they allow us to download music on our watches to listen to on runs.

SpaceIgniter

Master of Messengers
You play your music on anything that streams from Spotify. Spotify allows you to control another, Spotify-running/playing device, from your phone's Spotify, for instance. You can drive to the shops and control the music playing in your house. This new feature now allows you to permit others who have Spotify to do the same.

This feature, where you can remotely control another Spotify device, is literally all that's keeping me from jumping ship to YouTube Music. That, and Spotify's crossfading feature.

EDIT: Apparently Deezer can do this too? Can anyone confirm?
I love Spotify's Radio feature.
Works much better in terms of sticking to the genre than YTP and Deezer.