Spotify reaches 100 million paid users

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Spotify reaches 100 million paid users

Spotify has reached 100 million paid subscribers, a first for any music service, adding more customers in the latest quarter than analysts expected and boosting confidence the company has lots of room to grow.

Spotify Technology SA took on 4 million customers in the quarter, compared with the 3.3 million forecast by analysts. [Bloomberg]

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That's pretty good though, and hitting nearly a hundred million paying customers is still great.
Losses are mostly acquisition costs ($340m for Gimlet Media Inc. and Anchor, $100m for Parcast), so should be fine.
Last quarter they had a $107m profit (first time ever), this quarter expected a $200-400m loss, so basically the acquisitions.

Plus, hitting 100m paying customers is twice Apple's base, the next highest competitor.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I canceled and moved over to Youtube Music. Ad free youtube is a no brainer not to mention having all songs in youtube aswell.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I hope Spotify's growth continues healthily. Their playlists are so damn good - there's just no other music service like Spotify atm. I've used them all and the rest of the pack is like comparing Bixby and Google Assistant with regards to the quality of personalised, curated and generated playlists.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Am loving Spotify so far, the suggestion system is awesome it really is, my only real gripe is the volume on the app is schite, very muted, this is only a issue when listening with earphones though as elsewhere I have the power to overcome it.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Am loving Spotify so far, the suggestion system is awesome it really is, my only real gripe is the volume on the app is schite, very muted, this is only a issue when listening with earphones though as elsewhere I have the power to overcome it.
If your phone itself has an equalizer, it can boost it, is under settings.
To access settings, go to your library > cog top right. Equalizer will be in the list if your phone has one built-in.

gamer16

Honorary Master
If your phone itself has an equalizer, it can boost it, is under settings.
To access settings, go to your library > cog top right. Equalizer will be in the list if your phone has one built-in.
Its got one but doesn't help, just limits the output to prevent distortion but all other apps are nice and loud.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Very happy with the service, playlists are awesome!

Only have to go online once a month with offline mode which is handy, as me and wife shares an account.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Its got one but doesn't help, just limits the output to prevent distortion but all other apps are nice and loud.
Strange, doubles the volume for my sennheisers by upping the frequencies by ~5dB on the slider.
Note no effect on my BT headphones though, but does affect my car's speakers.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Strange, doubles the volume for my sennheisers by upping the frequencies by ~5dB on the slider.
Note no effect on my BT headphones though, but does affect my car's speakers.
Yeah I can boost other apps with aftermarket eq's but seems Spotify is on its own, I have the same issue with YouTube on PC but at least there I can just gooi the amp volume a bit.

One thing I must add though is all the songs I've come across on spotify are of great quality.

fruitbat

Expert Member
Very happy with the service, playlists are awesome!

Only have to go online once a month with offline mode which is handy, as me and wife shares an account.
I cancelled as no family account. Until then... too painful to only have 1 stream for google home. And I’m not having multiple subs

jdido87

I had Spotify Premium until they launched the substandard SA version. A very huge chunk of my music disappeared. I used to be able to music and playlists that was not available locally by legal means obviously. I just felt shafted after creating all my playlist just for it to be taken away. We have way less content on the local version. I am trying out Youtube Music Premium at the moment to see if that is any better in terms of the amount of content.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I had Spotify Premium until they launched the substandard SA version. A very huge chunk of my music disappeared. I used to be able to music and playlists that was not available locally by legal means obviously. I just felt shafted after creating all my playlist just for it to be taken away. We have way less content on the local version. I am trying out Youtube Music Premium at the moment to see if that is any better in terms of the amount of content.
A chunk ?

You must listen to some far out stuff !