Spotify vs Google Music

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Follow-up question, how do I switch from GPM family plan to YT Premium family plan- or do I have to cancel the one and subscribe to the other (no upgrade feature)?
I can't remember how I did it, Far as I remember I got YTP then gpm cancelled itself as it is a part of YTP but you can just check and cancel if it is still there.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Also enables background play on mobile devices.
yea, youtube is an always on top little window.
It does pause if you open say a video in a different app but plays as soon as that video ends.

Nirv

Spotify is great, I love being able to find almost any song and discover new stuff easily. Also very useful to control music on my PC from my phone and vice-versa.

Only issue I've had is that when my debit card expired which had worked perfectly, the new one simply will not work despite no changes to my account, and the card is fully authorized for online payments etc. I had to resort to paying through Vodacom airtime after trying everything.

XFlorenceX

Definitely Spotify by miles. Play music kept deleting songs from my library and playlists and it turned out to be a common problem with the app. I switched to Spotify and never had that problem again. Plus looks way better in my opinion!

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I hear what you are saying and I'm going to let you finish, but the iPhones, MacBooks and Apple TV in my life promises a different experience than Android (read: Apple works great with other Apples).

And my wife is pretty happy with it.

And as far as features go: I'm old. I addmudic to a "favourite" playlist and listen the same songs over and over again.
I'm not that old and listen to some of the same music as well :D
You are correct that Apple works well with Apple.
I'll have to find out from your wife though if she is happy. Maybe she feels sad about only having Apple. We have to confirm this :) ;) :p

Last edited:

Budza

Executive Member
Spotify is best, as many have said.

I'm using GPM due to the 5GB free streaming I get on Telkom Mobile's Freeme 2GB plan (R150/m).

If they rolled that out to Spotify, I'd switch.

Family plan is nice too, if you've got people to share with...

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I know it's not mentioned in the OP, but I'm currently more than happy with Deezer. I almost switched to Spotify a while back because of Deezer advertising Waze even to premium subscibers, but I heard it's an issue on Spotify as well.
Tried Google Music once, hated the interface. Not sure if it has improved.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I know it's not mentioned in the OP, but I'm currently more than happy with Deezer. I almost switched to Spotify a while back because of Deezer advertising Waze even to premium subscibers, but I heard it's an issue on Spotify as well.
Tried Google Music once, hated the interface. Not sure if it has improved.
I use Spotify almost daily on premium and I've never experienced 1 advert.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I use Spotify almost daily on premium and I've never experienced 1 advert.
Deezer didn't consider it an advert, it was a pop-up that said it's now totally compatible with Waze. You should be able to dismiss it only once, and it would never come up again, yet it popped up every time I connected to a Bluetooth device. Spotify did the same, but you only had to dismiss it once.

So then Deezer gave me three free months, and coincidentally, the issue was also resolved.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Deezer didn't consider it an advert, it was a pop-up that said it's now totally compatible with Waze. You should be able to dismiss it only once, and it would never come up again, yet it popped up every time I connected to a Bluetooth device. Spotify did the same, but you only had to dismiss it once.

So then Deezer gave me three free months, and coincidentally, the issue was also resolved.
Ok. I can't remember seeing anything on Spotify in the last 2 months, but it might have been earlier. I switched from YT Music about 2 months ago.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Yes, about 4 months ago.
It's actually weird that these music streaming products have such a loyal following.
I used Deezer for a long time, switched to Spotify, switched to YT Music for a while (strongly supported it). Now I'm back on Spotify. Really strange how personal perception and loyalty play such a large role in these apps/services.

adielk

Expert Member
Happy with GPM on family plan (5 users) plus YTM Premium for free.

Never used Spotify. Deezer was fine but prefered GPM ito family plan.

Only irritation is that some music wint cast.

If Spotify same cost for Family Plan I might consider it. But must say YTM premium nice perk.

Speedster

Executive Member

I use the Waze / Spotify almost daily. I find it pretty handy that the two apps integrate so nicely.

Colin62

Executive Member
I’m battling to understand this whole Waze/Spotify integration thing. Maybe it’s one of those things that you didn’t know you needed and couldn’t see the sense of until you’ve got it, or maybe I just use navigation differently to other people.

felixbf

YouTube Premium includes Google play music, Youtube Music and Youtube NO ADS. Google Music has a desktop app for Windows too. Use Ebucks to buy Google Card that covers a year subscription and i'm good :). So basically FREE.