Springboks vs England 2012 - 3 Test tour

AFK

Come on, Aplon needs to eat a bit more man - seriously. All he's got is speed, and need about 10-15kg's more at least. When guys tackle him he looks like a toddler.

Here's one clip of Aplon brushing off a head on tackle from one of France's centres in a 2010 match when we thumped them properly. Try incoming at 1:05. This is not the only one. There's a few where he just bounces off opponents, a couple being big forwards. I suppose it's got to do with the speed he generates :) Also check Olivier's poor defence beginning of the clip, but this is 2012, so hopefully he has done some work in that area.

[video=youtube;4G3XKVTGnLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4G3XKVTGnLE[/video]

sand_man

Honorary Master
If Aplon were any bigger he would be banned from the game for being too dangerous.

I been waiting for him to break his neck in a tackle or have it broken being tackled... but nothing... It's freakish that such a small man could consistently dodge serious injury. Some of the tackles he makes are equally freakish. At 1.75m and 78kg the only position he should be playing is tv ref...

Such a pity the weather is poor in PE though. I hope it clears for the game. It will be like playing a home game for England in these conditions and Aplon is less likely to shine in the wet.

MickeyD

RIP
Sunshine right now and hopefully clear until mid-morning tomorrow. Some light showers forecast during the day.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Sunshine right now and hopefully clear until mid-morning tomorrow. Some light showers forecast during the day.

Holding thumbs, I trust you'll keep us updated!! My business partner is going to the game, lucky m other f ucker compliments Prokor Sports Promotions!!!

Prokor Sports Promotions (Pty) Ltd
Reg. No. 1991/000381/07
SA vs England – Port Elizabeth – 22/24 June 2012
We are delighted that you and your guests will be joining us for the 3rd test match and would advise as follows:
1. Departure on Friday, 22 June on 1Time flight T6 509 ex OR Tambo at 18h00. Latest check in time is 17h15. Please ensure that you have your ID or driver’s license with you. Whilst we have all been pre-seated, this was done alphabetically by 1Time and it means you may not be seated next to your spouse/guest. However, we are all seated in the first 6x rows and can therefore randomly seat ourselves. Regrettably I will not be on this flight – I fly to PLZ on the Thursday
2. Arrival at PLZ Airport is at 19h40. The undersigned will meet you with the coach transport which takes us to the Algoa Bay Bed & Breakfast in Humewood. A dinner, in the form of a braai, will be available from 20h00. Drinks are for own account. Please confirm that you/your guests will attend the braai. Evening at leisure.
3. On Saturday 22 June, after breakfast, the golfers will be taken to Humewood Golf Club to tee off at 08h25 and 08h32 respectively. Stadium tickets will be distributed at breakfast. Departure time to Nelson Mandela Stadium to be finalized; probably at 12h30. (Golfers need to make their own way to the grounds) Early departure is to allow us to visit the EP Power Boat Club, situated on the lake on the West side of the Stadium. Here a light lunch (R50/head) and cash bar will be available. (We have prepaid the lunch on everyone’s behalf). Braai packs will also be on sale. The test kicks off at 17h00 and our seats are located in Block 601 in the West Stand – adjacent to the Boat Club.
The coach will depart from this area at 19h30 to take us back to the Lodge. Rest of evening at leisure.
4. Sunday 24 June – Breakfast at the Lodge and rest of day at leisure. Transport to the airport will depart from the Lodge at 14h15 to connect with 1Time flight T6 518 at 15h45 – arriving at OR Tambo at 17h25.
We look forward to an enjoyable outing and in sharing it with you and your guests.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Interesting to see in that clip posted above Flip getting binned. Seems to happen rather often with him with little possibility of his discipline issues being resolved. Pity cause he is a good player but discipline is going to cost him his place in the rugby annals.

Devill

Damned
Interesting to see in that clip posted above Flip getting binned. Seems to happen rather often with him with little possibility of his discipline issues being resolved. Pity cause he is a good player but discipline is going to cost him his place in the rugby annals.

+1. Rated Flip when he started out... then he tried to become the "enforcer" and got carded too often.

I love that Etzebeth has now stepped up so that he will need to up his game to just stay in the match 22 :)

AFK

Another interesting thing to note on that clip (again) is Pierre Spies that almost looked like he was "jogging" right behind Aplon when he was in full flight and scored that long distance try.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Another interesting thing to note on that clip (again) is Pierre Spies that almost looked like he was "jogging" right behind Aplon when he was in full flight and scored that long distance try.

Ja, saw that. For a second I thought that was Pierre pre life threatening illness. He looked sharp!! These days he plays like a man trying to avoid a bleeding injury. Either that or he is pacing himself for a 100 test plus career. Could be the latter. A lot more lucrative than burning out after 60 playing at 150%.

sand_man

Honorary Master
+1. Rated Flip when he started out... then he tried to become the "enforcer" and got carded too often.

I love that Etzebeth has now stepped up so that he will need to up his game to just stay in the match 22 :)

The 2 of them starting could be a handful for most opposition. Gees, they could do some damage!!!

Devill

Damned
Ja, saw that. For a second I thought that was Pierre pre life threatening illness. He looked sharp!! These days he plays like a man trying to avoid a bleeding injury. Either that or he is pacing himself for a 100 test plus career. Could be the latter. A lot more lucrative than burning out after 60 playing at 150%.

I think HM has other plan than letting players "take it easy".

The way that the Boks played in the second half of the first test and the first half of the second test looked like they were literally playing for their lives, wives and homes :D

The 2 of them starting could be a handful for most opposition. Gees, they could do some damage!!!

Whahaha, yes but flip would be sent off after 15 mins :p

Cicero

Expert Member
Here's one clip of Aplon brushing off a head on tackle from one of France's centres in a 2010 match when we thumped them properly. Try incoming at 1:05. This is not the only one. There's a few where he just bounces off opponents, a couple being big forwards. I suppose it's got to do with the speed he generates :) Also check Olivier's poor defence beginning of the clip, but this is 2012, so hopefully he has done some work in that area.
Fair enough. I remember that game, what an unbelievable sidestep, and he really does have some legs on him. Jeepers!

But we've also seen him be useless. I'll admit, give him some space and he's electric. He was great when he came on (a little too late though imo) as a sub against the Sharks the other day. Lets see how he does, I may have to eat my words :p

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
.....Lets see how he does, I may have to eat my words :p

Noooo - that would set a terrible precedent - I'd hate to ever admit I was wrong in a rugby thread. I'd rather be accused of it and DENY DENY DENY. But I do agree - can't say I am too impressed by him

sand_man

Honorary Master
Watching the clip above I don't know how anyone could be anything but impressed with him.

Some of the tries he has scored in his first class career, I don't see too many players being able to score tries like that.

Maybe you want to have a go at his defensive game but there too he has more than held his own.

Anyway, hopefully the PE weather will behave and Aplon can vindicate his selection as 3rd choice fullback :rolleyes:

Sl8er

Executive Member
Watching the clip above I don't know how anyone could be anything but impressed with him.

Some of the tries he has scored in his first class career, I don't see too many players being able to score tries like that.

Maybe you want to have a go at his defensive game but there too he has more than held his own.

Anyway, hopefully the PE weather will behave and Aplon can vindicate his selection as 3rd choice fullback :rolleyes:

I'd have to agree with this. The first time I saw him on the field, I thought to myself, "Self. This guy is going to get killed very quickly." Then he started playing.
People can say what they want about his size, as far as I'm concerned his size is just another stat on paper. If you watch the man play, whether gunning it for the try line or defending, he can hang with the best of them -men twice his size.
So here's to Aplon having an amazing game tomorrow...and shutting his critics up, for good. (touch wood :D )

empirex

Banned
I'd have to agree with this. The first time I saw him on the field, I thought to myself, "Self. This guy is going to get killed very quickly." Then he started playing.
People can say what they want about his size, as far as I'm concerned his size is just another stat on paper. If you watch the man play, whether gunning it for the try line or defending, he can hang with the best of them -men twice his size.
So here's to Aplon having an amazing game tomorrow...and shutting his critics up, for good. (touch wood :D )

Yeah I was Aplon's biggest critic when he was selected a while back based on his size. But then he actually started playing (which is what counts right...) and I had to eat my words..