Spur waiter increases tip on POS machine without me knowing

surface

Executive Member
Waiters/bar staff usually work for a minimal pay and supplement that with tips, which is usually much more than their actual salary.

I think it's close to about R20 per hour
This is my understanding as well. And apparently, if you swipe card for payment, tip gets equally distributed end of the day (not sure if it gets to Chefs though). This probably explains why some waiters ask for cash tip (in a very soft voice).

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Or they could just be paid fairly and tips really are for a decent job done.
The R20/ph is only the minimum required by law. Nobody is stopping the employer from paying more.

And lets be honest - R20/ph is going to be a big step up in an industry that often paid their staff nothing.

Lupus

Honorary Master
The R20/ph is only the minimum required by law. Nobody is stopping the employer from paying more.

And lets be honest - R20/ph is going to be a big step up in an industry that traditionally often paid their staff nothing.
That's if the restaurant pays them, they've found ways in the past to skirt around, I'm sure they will still. But sooner or later time will tell.

Craig

Honorary Master
So you are one of those who's kids run around, making a heck of a noise while i sit and try having a conversation with my girl. Nee nee... You need training in being a dad, also train your kids. :p
Depends on the restaurant, if it's spur or blasters, or any other restaurant with a kids area, I let let make noise as much as they want in the play area. If it's a quieter place like La Pinita they know they should play quiet.

You can't go to blasters or spur for a quiet dinner. I can't even think of a single sane reason any normal person without kids would go to a spur for outside of school hours.

HunterNW

Executive Member
Depends on the restaurant, if it's spur or blasters, or any other restaurant with a kids area, I let let make noise as much as they want in the play area. If it's a quieter place like La Pinita they know they should play quiet.

You can't go to blasters or spur for a quiet dinner. I can't even think of a single sane reason any normal person without kids would go to a spur for outside of school hours.
I go to Spur for their lovely food and sexy waitresses. Just joking with you..... When I had kids it's a blast taking them there and see how they enjoy themselves.

Snyper564

Expert Member
This is my understanding as well. And apparently, if you swipe card for payment, tip gets equally distributed end of the day (not sure if it gets to Chefs though). This probably explains why some waiters ask for cash tip (in a very soft voice).
I used to waiter back in 2006. Only got tips. Also the tip I got on a CC was mine not split.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
I go to Spur for their lovely food and sexy waitresses. Just joking with you..... When I had kids it's a blast taking them there and see how they enjoy themselves.
the thing i look forward to in old age is going deaf.
Can't stand the sound of those little ankle biters in restaurants like Spur and such.
Sure I get it that the place is a family restaurant.
Back in my day a family restaurant meant you can bring the kids in and they keep quiet. Not a word.
And if you are tired you go lie down on a blanket on the floor next to the table.
Nowadays it is a bloody zoo, actually more like a riot ! Just missing some burning tyres

Brawler

Executive Member
How big was the group of friends?
Most restaurants automatically put 10% tip on tables larger than 6.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Come on guys, lets take a moment on this thread. The guy who started it even left yet the thread lives on.

Soo funny.

Tops to the guy that said even MyBB is now on the guys list.

I`m not for or against the guy, draadsitter, but its funny.

There was that thread about the guy who "knew dialup profiles" and "sow" a lot of things and comments were just deleted.

spiff

Expert Member
IMO if they don't like the job or pay then they must fucoff and get another job!

I tip - but only cash and only if it's earned!

most restaurants I frequent they know me now and they know not to fuc around.

take Alberto's in Durbanville - those waitresses are on the ball!! barely finished my beer and she's there waiting to take my empty and bring me another one. they are very friendly and will chat whenever they can. I don't mind tipping them R50 - R100 cause they earned it.

But some waiters / waitresses are so unfriendly / so incompetent they deserve fucall!!

case in point:
I ordered breakfast (2 x eggs & bacon etc.) at the BOSA in burgundy estates - it arrived without the eggs?!!:oops: my waitress just slapped the plate down on the table and walked away. I tried to call her back but she disappeared inside - I had to called another waiter - he brought the eggs on a side plate and said they won't charge me for the breakfast - which was nice of them.

however my waitress got no tip.
she was unfriendly / slapped the plate down on the table and walked away. then disappeared
I had to call another waiter about the missing eggs.

a tip is earned - not a right!

RedViking

Nord of the South
This **** happened with me at a Wimpy drive through...

Cashier added a tip for herself...

Claimed it was a mistake when I took it up with management.
Wimpy what? I should probably get out under this rock...... I only know about a Wimpy drive past.

HunterNW

Executive Member
the thing i look forward to in old age is going deaf.
Can't stand the sound of those little ankle biters in restaurants like Spur and such.
Sure I get it that the place is a family restaurant.
Back in my day a family restaurant meant you can bring the kids in and they keep quiet. Not a word.
And if you are tired you go lie down on a blanket on the floor next to the table.
Nowadays it is a bloody zoo, actually more like a riot ! Just missing some burning tyres
Was like that when i grew up. Now days kids control the parents.

surface

Executive Member
I used to waiter back in 2006. Only got tips. Also the tip I got on a CC was mine not split.
Interesting; I wonder how did they manage to allocate it to individual waiter on a card swipe? At times, I have seen waiters asking for the slip that has the tip amount - I suppose it could be done like that unless POS terminal has that option?

Snyper564

Expert Member
Interesting; I wonder how did they manage to allocate it to individual waiter on a card swipe? At times, I have seen waiters asking for the slip that has the tip amount - I suppose it could be done like that unless POS terminal has that option?
If you have sold 100 but your slips are 120 your tip is 20 if that makes sense