Sri Lanka tour of South Africa, 2019

Volksieboi

Expert Member
This right here should be our World Cup squad as well.
Yeah

A colleague and I were trying to make sense of what the selectors are doing and tried picking a 15 man squad for the WC.

All the all rounders make no sense. And if anything the recent performances have shown that we need to go with 6 batsmen 1 Allrounder and 4 bowlers.

5 Batsmen just doesnt cut it and the reason for that is that the current allrounders are not good enough batsmen.

In addition, our bowling attack is so strong that it doesnt warrant having that many bowling options. ie - the 4 bowlers MUST give you 40 overs and the remaining 10 should come from an alrounder - or a combo of alrounder and part timer. This is why JP is vital to our WC cause.

That said. here's my squad. (starting 11 + squad players)

1. Amla
2. de Kock
3. Du Plessis
4. vd Dussen
5. Miller
6. Duminy
7. Pehlukwayo
8. Steyn
9. Rabada
10. Ngidi
11. Tahir

Reserves: Markram, Hendricks, Shamsi, Pretorius,

The bottom 4, QDK, Faf, vd Dussen, Miller, have done enough to secure selection. Some justifications for my selections.

Amla - Ave in England over 60 in ODIs. He is class (duuh :rolleyes: ) and he should be given the opportunity to show it. I have a feeling that he will come good. I think the selectors do too.

Aiden - The man is in form and simply must play in the remaining ODIs. Provides cover if any top order bat struggles. Should bat anywhere from 1 - 4. Not lower.
Struggling to fit him into the 1st 11 because of vd Dussen's form. If need be he can give you 3 or 4 overs of offspin but that shouldnt be relied on or a reason for selection. He should go on Form.

Reeza - May have actually done his chances some damage - his recent scores are not looking good. However, I cant think of a replacement with international experience. He is also a class act when he gets going. He plays proper cricket shots, which is what is needed in English conditions. That said, with the top order so stacked, we could always consider a lower order bat instead. Players that come to mind are: Morris, Behardien

Shamsi - cover for Tahir, if there is opportunity for 2 spinners we can drop a quick and select him. No other spinners with international experience. Keshav is not an ODI bowler.

Pretorius - Cover for Andile, but as I said, IMO we should never play 2 All rounders, because selecting JP gives Faf more than enough bowling options.

Duminy - Experience + form. Duminy is class in limited overs cricket and will solidify the batting line up. Bat him at 5 or 6 depending on the situation. He ads a bowling option with his offspin and simply MUST go to the WC.

Had to goto the loo halfway thru typing this so lost my train of thought.

In short, we should take players with sufficient experience and form. Therefore I havent taken any current franchise only players

stefan9

Executive Member
Markram ahead of amla in the starting 11 for me. Better record in knockout games Amla's is terrible at international and franchise level. Better fielder(not even close, we have all seen amount of catches has has dropped this year) and offers a part time bowling option.

I think they will select an extra pace bowler in nortjie instead of taking reeza.

3WA

Executive Member
Amla - Ave in England over 60 in ODIs. He is class (duuh :rolleyes: ) and he should be given the opportunity to show it. I have a feeling that he will come good. I think the selectors do too.
Markram ahead of amla in the starting 11 for me. Better record in knockout games Amla's is terrible at international and franchise level. Better fielder(not even close, we have all seen amount of catches has has dropped this year) and offers a part time bowling option.
I agree with picking Amla. Can't justify it with stats or reason but there's an off chance he overcomes what ails him and he comes right. This can always be revised mid-tournament if we lose to Afghanistan.

Anyways, like Steyn and Tahir, the man has paid his dues and deserves one more shot at glory.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
I understand the gripes with Amla, but his weight in runs as well as his experience, esp in england puts him ahead of Aiden for me. I think we will find out in the last 2 ODIs. That said, note that the competition in this case is not between amla and Aiden, its between Aiden and Reeza.

Nortjie, to me at least, hasnt clocked up sufficient international experience.
And honestly, I dont see the need for another out and out bowler in the squad. Would rather pick Morris because he will strengthen the batting.

Mulder also hasnt done enough for me, and also doesnt have sufficient experience.

stefan9

Executive Member
There is only 1 spot for opening next to qdk. Aiden's best spot is opener so the competition for a starting spot is definitely between them. One will play and the other will have to carry drinks.

modern10

Expert Member
Yeah

A colleague and I were trying to make sense of what the selectors are doing and tried picking a 15 man squad for the WC.

All the all rounders make no sense. And if anything the recent performances have shown that we need to go with 6 batsmen 1 Allrounder and 4 bowlers.

5 Batsmen just doesnt cut it and the reason for that is that the current allrounders are not good enough batsmen.

In addition, our bowling attack is so strong that it doesnt warrant having that many bowling options. ie - the 4 bowlers MUST give you 40 overs and the remaining 10 should come from an alrounder - or a combo of alrounder and part timer. This is why JP is vital to our WC cause.

That said. here's my squad. (starting 11 + squad players)

1. Amla
2. de Kock
3. Du Plessis
4. vd Dussen
5. Miller
6. Duminy
7. Pehlukwayo
8. Steyn
9. Rabada
10. Ngidi
11. Tahir

Reserves: Markram, Hendricks, Shamsi, Pretorius,

The bottom 4, QDK, Faf, vd Dussen, Miller, have done enough to secure selection. Some justifications for my selections.

Aiden - The man is in form and simply must play in the remaining ODIs. Provides cover if any top order bat struggles. Should bat anywhere from 1 - 4. Not lower.
Struggling to fit him into the 1st 11 because of vd Dussen's form. If need be he can give you 3 or 4 overs of offspin but that shouldnt be relied on or a reason for selection. He should go on Form.

Reeza - May have actually done his chances some damage - his recent scores are not looking good. However, I cant think of a replacement with international experience. He is also a class act when he gets going. He plays proper cricket shots, which is what is needed in English conditions. That said, with the top order so stacked, we could always consider a lower order bat instead. Players that come to mind are: Morris, Behardien

Shamsi - cover for Tahir, if there is opportunity for 2 spinners we can drop a quick and select him. No other spinners with international experience. Keshav is not an ODI bowler.

Pretorius - Cover for Andile, but as I said, IMO we should never play 2 All rounders, because selecting JP gives Faf more than enough bowling options.

Duminy - Experience + form. Duminy is class in limited overs cricket and will solidify the batting line up. Bat him at 5 or 6 depending on the situation. He ads a bowling option with his offspin and simply MUST go to the WC.

Had to goto the loo halfway thru typing this so lost my train of thought.

In short, we should take players with sufficient experience and form. Therefore I havent taken any current franchise only players
Yes and more yes

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Duminy is way past his sell by date.

I'd prefer Markram over him going forward.
Its possible that it may be the case in the long term.

But as it currently stands, i would say that there isnt a player in the country that can replace Duminy as a package. Quality ODI batsman, realistic ODI bowling option and great fielder.

Volksieboi

Expert Member
What about Chuck Morris?...Duminy,Amla,Reeza or Markram one of them must just fall on the sword.
Looking at the squad for the final 2 ODIs, I'm thinking that this is the squad for the WC.

That means that Reeza will make way for Nortje.

This makes sense to leave Reeza out, with the top order already as stacked as it is. (recent performances also haven't done his chances any good)

But when you look at all the bowling options in the squad already (its a dangerous attack), I would consider taking Morris instead of Nortje.
Morris has more international experience, is just as quick, and also offers something with the bat. Although he's been injured and can be temperamental, we know what he has to offer. And he has some experience in English conditions.

Then again, Ottis might be thinking that Nortje is an unknown and can add some mystery to the line up. But that doesnt make sense when you consider that he shouldnt get selected ahead of Steyn, Rabada, Ngidi :unsure:

Morris's Recent stats:

1552380091443.png

Last edited:

Volksieboi

Expert Member
Ok forget what i just said, convenor of selectors has just made it clear that morris is not going to the world cup

https://www.sacricketmag.com/proteas-dont-view-morris-number-seven-batsman/

According to him they need an All rounder that can bat at 7, and morris doesnt fit the bill for ODIs
He also says that while andile is not a proper batting all rounder, they are banking on him to come good in that role.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Amla out of the remainder of the SL series due to the illness of his father. Reeza Hendricks has been recalled in his place.