Sriwijaya Air flight SJ182 crash investigation

buka001

Honorary Master
Ja, one of the scariest landings ever was landing at the airport in Wellington New Zealand. The plane lands with all the passengers looking down the runway while the pilot does an extreme manoeuvre to straighten the plane just before the wheels meet the tarmac.
I was on a flight like that, that landed at Bristol Airport in the UK.

dabbler

Expert Member
I wonder why there aren't more accidents when I see the videos of planes landing in cross-winds.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I wonder why there aren't more accidents when I see the videos of planes landing in cross-winds.

Because pilots are trained, aircraft have crosswind limits, airports have weather stations, and wind speed and direction is reported before any takeoff and landing.

Brian_G

Expert Member
The main positive is the aircraft components, fantastic alloys and top quality products. That and decades of good experience and effort.
For instance, one can't believe how thin the "pipe" suspending a standard helicopter from its blades is, and how thin and strong aircraft body panels are.

(Not just ACI info, I know a few non-commercial pilots.)

krycor

Honorary Master
Only amongst the ignorant.

You sure about that..

Boeing’s 737-500 jet has been involved in eight hull-loss accidents, or incidents where the aircraft damage isn’t repairable, with a total of 220 fatalities, according to Aviation Safety Network. Airbus SE’s A319, a comparable jet, has been involved three.

What’s fascinating to me is that most of the incidents in this neck of the woods involve Boeing planes. So yah.. maybe this region is not the region to fly in.

Bad weather was reported on the day so might be a big factor.

Genisys

Honorary Master
The main positive is the aircraft components, fantastic alloys and top quality products. That and decades of good experience and effort.
For instance, one can't believe how thin the "pipe" suspending a standard helicopter from its blades is, and how thin and strong aircraft body panels are.

(Not just ACI info, I know a few non-commercial pilots.)
Then you will hate new planes being built with carbon fibre composites...

Genisys

Honorary Master
You sure about that..

What’s fascinating to me is that most of the incidents in this neck of the woods involve Boeing planes. So yah.. maybe this region is not the region to fly in.

Bad weather was reported on the day so might be a big factor.
Scale. The more of a specific product is used the more likely is is to see a failure in that product catalog

Brian_G

Expert Member
^^ Includes current news about the voice recorder;

Each data recorder has an underwater acoustic beacon that emits a signal in the event of a crash to help searchers recover the recorders.

But in this case, the acoustic beacon broke loose from the cockpit voice recorder, and it was found separately, said the commander of the Indonesian National Armed Forces, Hadi Tjahjanto. Divers are continuing to search for the recorder itself, he told reporters.

“We are certain the cockpit voice recorder will be found as well,” he said.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
^^ Includes current news about the voice recorder;
Anyone know if this breaking loose of the beacon is a common issue?
Every time we have a crash one wonders why the project to stream flight data real time is taking so long to implement.

Brian_G

Expert Member
We've never heard it mentioned in ACI episodes or anywhere else.
Seems strange, I would have thought the beacon part of the internal circuitry. Unless the box itself can have a Faraday cage signal blocking effect, but then why not just have the antenna mounted externally?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Good question about the design of black boxes. Not delved into this aspect myself so I don't know.

Incidentally, a follow up on the Lear Jet crash due to oxygen system failure showed that a key cause was that the checklists at the time made the crew do all sorts of things before they got to the step calling for "donning of oxygen masks" and descending to a safe altitude. The ACI episode stated that after that incident, the checklist were changed for all aircraft flying at altitude to ensure the crew would don their masks first, then descend to a safe altitude and then only start fault finding of pressurisation systems.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Some googling reveals it's likely to be a "ULB" - Underwater Location Beacon. Here's an article with a pic showing the external mounting.

That's water activated, but I thought these boxes all send out a beacon signal, so presumably there's a second beacon inside the box that's not underwater related??

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Some googling reveals it's likely to be a "ULB" - Underwater Location Beacon. Here's an article with a pic showing the external mounting.

That's water activated, but I thought these boxes all send out a beacon signal, so presumably there's a second beacon inside the box that's not underwater related??
Great find, B!
Interesting about the January 2019 and 2020 dates for extended life to 90 days. Wonder if a bad retrofit was responsible for it breaking loose?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Every time we have a crash one wonders why the project to stream flight data real time is taking so long to implement.
I see a use case for starlink

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I see a use case for starlink
Yes! Just about every single LEO satellite system proposal in the past has postulated that the most significant use case for such a system is not land-based communications but mobile for aircraft and ships at sea!