Sriwijaya Air flight SJ182 crash investigation

daveza

Honorary Master
I fly a lot but generally have two fears:
1. The plane will crash while I’m asleep and I’ll never know - which makes it hard for me to sleep on planes

You'd rather be awake and experience it ?

30 years ago I had a turn around and dump fuel incident in the US - since then never have and never will fly again.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
No acceleration data in your post.
It is if you're not lazy
Speed decreased dramatically then increased dramatically. The final stretch which likely lasted seconds went from 3xx to 8xx kph

How does that compare to a zero g parabolic flight?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
It is if you're not lazy
Speed decreased dramatically then increased dramatically. The final stretch which likely lasted seconds went from 3xx to 8xx kph

How does that compare to a zero g parabolic flight?
"likely"

daveza

Honorary Master
So you're in the US now?

Yeah yeah.

I eventually flew back to Heathrow ( on the same plane ) and back home.

Don't remember those flights, was drugged to the gills, never found out what happened to all my hand luggage I mislaid at Heathrow.

Good thing I enjoy driving to Jo'burg and back when I need to. Happy days.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
I asked for facts, you gave an opinion, as evidenced by your use of the word "likely".

Anyway, this is derailing a thread about a tragedy, so I'm done.
Don't be like that @Sinbad .
Here, https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/sj182#26860e0e

1610272080387.png 1610272063117.png 1610272103203.png 1610272145017.png 1610272127825.png

TimeSeconds elapsed since previous measurementAltitudeMeters descended since previous measurementVertical airspeed in meters per secondAcceleration in m/s^2Acceleration in g
7:40:08 AM​
3269​
7:40:14 AM​
2728​
541​
90.17​
7:40:16 AM​
2477​
251​
125.50​
17.67​
1.802721088​
7:40:20 AM​
1646​
831​
207.75​
20.56​
2.098214286​
7:40:27 AM​
76​
1570​
224.29​
2.36​
0.241045398​

Last edited:

Brian_G

Expert Member
I was wondering the same thing! I would rather fly back than go by sea, would definitely prefer a quick crash to bobbing about in the ocean waiting for something to pop up and eat me.
Nah, firstly if you fly you could end up being eaten in the water anyways, and ships are more likely to get you drowned if they go down ;)

neoprema

Expert Member
Yeah yeah.

I eventually flew back to Heathrow ( on the same plane ) and back home.

Don't remember those flights, was drugged to the gills, never found out what happened to all my hand luggage I mislaid at Heathrow.

Good thing I enjoy driving to Jo'burg and back when I need to. Happy days.
I've been in 1 incident where an engine caught fire on take-off, about 25 years ago. Been in about 3 incidents of something breaking before push-back so being temporarily offloaded off a flight and put back on once repairs were done. Minor stuff like cockpit lights that wouldn't come on, and one had battery problems and they needed to replace 2 of them in a 737.
And then been in one flight trying to land (A320) in torrential downpours at an African airport with no instrumentation. We had 5 aborted landing attempts before the pilot said we have to move to another airport as we don't have enough fuel. Then while climbing out again he came back on and said ok visibility is a bit better lets try one more time we can squeeze a bit more out of it before heading to the other airport - and he put her down in what was basically zero visibility lol (i imagine things were clearer up front).

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Yes. But the reason for that was discussed in a book, I can't remember the name now - I think it was Ask The Pilot or something or it was BA's Flying with Confidence.
People feel (perceive) they are safer in a car because they feel more in control, either by the fact they're driving it or that they can see and interact with the "controller" of the vehicle. Subconsciously, a lot of people fear what happens in flight because they can't see how its being handled, or actually be in control. I think i fall squarely into that category.
Look at the annual fatal car accidents (yes a chunk of that may be pedestrians). Look at airplanes.

Brian_G

Expert Member
Look at the annual fatal car accidents (yes a chunk of that may be pedestrians). Look at airplanes.
It's not about logic. More than the control factor, I think it's the primitive brain and its instincts such as apeman falling off a cliff, apeman getting eaten.
And once it bites you it's veeery hard to overcome.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Yes. But the reason for that was discussed in a book, I can't remember the name now - I think it was Ask The Pilot or something or it was BA's Flying with Confidence.
People feel (perceive) they are safer in a car because they feel more in control, either by the fact they're driving it or that they can see and interact with the "controller" of the vehicle. Subconsciously, a lot of people fear what happens in flight because they can't see how its being handled, or actually be in control. I think i fall squarely into that category.
Also, sense of security of being on solid ground.