SSD purchase

phly

Expert Member
Hi, any ideas where one can get a 256gb SSD at a price that does not crater the wallet. Looking for something inexpensive but decent and fast to slot into a macbook as my current one gave up on me. Thanks for any leads that will direct me to something inexpensive to purchase. Not sure what is a good balance between price and speed.

ponder

Honorary Master
Hi, any ideas where one can get a 256gb SSD at a price that does not crater the wallet. Looking for something inexpensive but decent and fast to slot into a macbook as my current one gave up on me. Thanks for any leads that will direct me to something inexpensive to purchase. Not sure what is a good balance between price and speed.

2.5" sata, m.2 sata or m.2 nvme?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I bought this one last year for my old 4th gen i5 computer here at home
Installed Windows 10 on it
It is blazing fast
I cannot believe how quick this computer boots up and behaves
SSD's are awesome

901 reviews averaging 5 out of 5 :thumbsup:

1628089613278.png

Reactions: rh1

Crumbl0x

I'd recommend spending just a tad more (when on sale) and go for the WD Blue, it's true that the Green isn't slow by any respectable modern standards, but the Blue (manufactured on TLC 3D NAND as opposed to SLC) is more bang for buck given the large jump in sequential reads and writes (arguably far more important on an OS drive than purely data, where they both perform similarly), and it lasts longer in total write lifetime.

Of course, if the drive will be used for extremely basic needs and the price is right / money tight, you can absolutely go for it. I only wouldn't vouch from the likes of Adata, Kingmax, Patriot, Kingston etc. as they seem to spend less on quality control despite using standard chips.

I personally roll with Samsung Evo's these days for a while now, but the WD Drives have really come a long way since the SanDisk acquisition for their price.

phly

Expert Member
I'd recommend spending just a tad more (when on sale) and go for the WD Blue, it's true that the Green isn't slow by any respectable modern standards, but the Blue (manufactured on TLC 3D NAND as opposed to SLC) is more bang for buck given the large jump in sequential reads and writes (arguably far more important on an OS drive than purely data, where they both perform similarly), and it lasts longer in total write lifetime.

Of course, if the drive will be used for extremely basic needs and the price is right / money tight, you can absolutely go for it. I only wouldn't vouch from the likes of Adata, Kingmax, Patriot, Kingston etc. as they seem to spend less on quality control despite using standard chips.

I personally roll with Samsung Evo's these days for a while now, but the WD Drives have really come a long way since the SanDisk acquisition for their price.

So is the above as good as it gets in terms of getting something half decent?

Based on what I am reading above Avoid WD Green - Avoid all other brands i.e patriot and go for WD Blue (can't seem to find 250gb on takealot) and if monied then Samsung Evo's.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

So is the above as good as it gets in terms of getting something half decent?

Based on what I am reading above Avoid WD Green - Avoid all other brands i.e patriot and go for WD Blue (can't seem to find 250gb on takealot) and if monied then Samsung Evo's.
Buy any SSD, it will be fine, you will never notice the difference.
If its going into a MBP then its a much older MBP and a higher end SSD would make very little difference to real world performance.

I have used from the cheapest to some of the most expensive SSD's and no one can really tell the difference between them.

deesef

Expert Member
I have had this SSD disk for almost 10 years already. It was in my main PC that is on 24/7 for more than 8 years. About a year ago I upgraded my PC and this SSD went to the kids PC. It is a fantastic piece of hardware.

3265b155896a0a025feead33475a5e29.jpg

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Go to Takealot
Search SSD
Sort results by Price low to high
Grab the one you can afford ....

You'll be fine and happy for a long time ... dont overthink this :p

ubercal

Expert Member
samsung evo 870 sata SSD ftw !!!!!!!!!!!!