SSD speeds vs South African minimum wage

LaraC

Honorary Master
It's going to take a lot of restarts and loading to save ten hours by using a SSD vs a HDD. ;)

ps. Work computers are usually never turned off and office programs remains loaded.

Goosfrabba

Expert Member
I demand Parliament amend the Constitution and declare a SSD hardrive as a fundamental right. Then pass EWC legislation and give me one.

Unreal

• The hard drive will cost you R670
  • The SSD is a bit more: R3,600

This is why I don’t trust journalists. How is R3600 a “bit more” than R670? It’s 5 times more dammit!

P924

Expert Member
I for one appreciate the creativity that went into this one!

(seems like somebody is trying to justify a purchase order)

Swa

Honorary Master
Only if you have time sensitive applications that make your money for you. Can we stop with these crack selling articles? You can't quantify time like this as you're assuming people will work less or get more done which isn't the case. Most businesses will see an extra expensive switching to SSDs.

gamer16

Honorary Master
@Jamie McKane

Well done, its good article properly written.

Only contributing factor that can be added is the effect on the users health, as we all know waiting for things isn't fun and waiting when you need to do something urgently is even worse and as we know this is detrimental to our health, so buying spinning rust because it is cheaper is equivalent to building your house from asbestos because its cheaper than brick & mortar.;):ROFL:

Last edited:

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Actually, you don't need 1TB SSD. Why not do the same calc with a 256GB unit. Time savings are the same and you can always plug in a portable HDD if you need more space. Also take into account that you can get away with a slow CPU if you have an SSD. The laptop will feel massively faster.

rambo919

Honorary Master
Actually, you don't need 1TB SSD. Why not do the same calc with a 256GB unit. Time savings are the same and you can always plug in a portable HDD if you need more space. Also take into account that you can get away with a slow CPU if you have an SSD. The laptop will feel massively faster.
He made a geek joke, there would literally not be a 1bit difference.

Though yes the best buy is a 1TB SSD because the larger the SSD the longer it lasts due to how SSD's work. Paying more for a larger SSD actually saves you money in the long run, NVME's last even longer.