Stage 4 blackouts caused by 158 of 160 municipalities not load-shedding enough - Eskom

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Before this week my area wasn't getting loadshedded even though all the areas around me were.

So far we only seem to get loadshedding when it's stage 4.

BTW my area gets our power directly from Eskom so it's Eskom own incompetence at play here

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Our area in Tshwane is loadshed 9/10 times correctly according to the schedule.

You might find that municipalities simply don't have the people available to loadshed properly. I mean, besides the big metro's, I'm sure it is a very labour intensive process to manually switch off areas 24/7. It is not a municipalities core business to employ hundreds of electricians to trip power all over the place.

Drifter

Honorary Master
I call BS, we get load shedded every time. Sometimes even when there is no national load shedding. Emfuleni just owes too much.

plutobirds

This. People seem to think that because their neighbourhood went off according to schedule that every area followed suit at the appointed time(s).
Two people living in JHB in different areas have told me they have missed all Stage 3 and 4 slots so far..

The_MAC

Executive Member
I thought that's how that worked. Surely they know real-time load balances for substations?
So many other entities would also love this kind of data, can you imagine the benefit of a realtime status view of the access grid - Mobile Operators, factories, logistics etc.

Dashboard, API's.. would be an awesome project

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I call BS, we get load shedded every time. Sometimes even when there is no national load shedding. Emfuleni just owes too much.
Just because you get nailed every time doesn't mean the municipality is fulfilling their obligations.

There's also go to be some impact when an area comes back online and they're pulling an extra load on top of their normal load just catching up.

DearHeart

Expert Member
Krugersdorp (Mogale City) hasn't had any load shedding whatsoever since January. The rumor is that the local state hospital doesn't have standby generators, so the power has to stay on. Some will call us lucky but on the other hand...

willisau

ag KAK man, we in Pretoria get load shed like clock work - maybe not the areas where the officials live

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
How extraordinarily convenient, considering the lack of evidence and the dodging of the questions in this regard..

Although, I guess when you have already used all of the other excuses, this is the next "best" option..

Next up, stage 4 loading shed caused by John, Koos, Sarah and Peter who didn't switch off their geysers, pool pumps and other non essential appliances when we ran the power grid is constrained advert...
It's the same as when the cANCer blamed us citizens for the covid outbreaks.

Don't take responsibility and never, ever, be accountable to the citizens you serve. The real new normal.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You'd think all the City Power faults would be enough already to not even have to load shed. I mean last week Thursday I think it was, we only had 20 minutes of power and then when they finally fixed the problem we got load shed!
Yup, some areas were down for 4 days, some parts of my block get shed, then only get power 5 minutes before the next shed.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It's the same as when the cANCer blamed us citizens for the covid outbreaks.

Don't take responsibility and never, ever, be accountable to the citizens you serve. The real new normal.
The fact that consumers actually are a small portion of the total demand means they really love pointing the finger.

shearder

Expert Member
ESKOM is the cause. typical terrorist government. Blame everyone but themselves and the THEFT they had going for years!!

wbot

Executive Member
@wbot doesn't agree with that statement
No this was the first time in ages where we didn't get shedded according to schedule. Before elections we got hit 3 times a day like everyone. I'm in group 16, don't know where he is

Antono

Ok noted everybody needs to work to save electricity, water, and toilet paper BUT...

HTF do you Mr CEO expect people to save electricity (that means not using = not paying) and you still milk them to pay your inflated useless workforce? Seems like a bit of a contradiction? Oh wait, you will just increase the unit price by 250% to still pay for those who add no value while nobody is allowed to use electricity.