Stage 4 Load-Shedding Monday and Tuesday [18/03/2019 & 19/03/2019]

cavedog

Honorary Master
They used Sunday to build up reserves... Diesel and pumped storage. Then they use those on Monday
Which means they would have run them the whole day and replenishing again tonight hence the stage 2 during the night BUT when will it run out? I'm sure they are hoping that units comes back online because the pumped storage will run out. Maybe the public holiday can help them Thursday.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Which means they would have run them the whole day and replenishing again tonight hence the stage 2 during the night BUT when will it run out? I'm sure they are hoping that units comes back online because the pumped storage will run out. Maybe the public holiday can help them Thursday.
It won't run out as long as they can replenish it

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I don't understand how Eskom stayed on stage 4 today. The electricity demand on a Sunday and a Monday during the day won't be the same so why stage 4 during the day on Sunday but still only stage 4 during the day on Monday?

Did they run diesel open gas turbines and water schemes today to keep it at Stage 4 as the worse because if they did then it means they balancing things on a knifes edge one small shift in capacity during the day would see us on Stage 5.

Would be interesting if they actually were more open and honest with the public. Also a stage 2 saving during the night will not be the same as stage 2 during the day. The municipalities will just stick to stage 2 so even if they switch those people off on stage 2 the electricity saving is not the same as stage 2 during the day when people are actually using stuff like geysers, kettles washing machines ect.
IMO there is a lot of 'perception management' with the load shedding stages. There probably is enough capacity to drop down at certain times of day, but most people prefer a relatively predictable schedule than one that changes at 15 minute intervals. This capacity gap certainly applies to periods when pumped storage reservoirs are being replenished.

Being entirely selfish and short termist would mean keeping the power on until there are no reserves. This would result in extreme flip flops in over a 24 hour period, which would be highly impractical.

They used Sunday to build up reserves... Diesel and pumped storage. Then they use those on Monday
Building up diesel reserves is an oxymoron. You either have fuel, or you get it delivered, you cannot build fuel.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
It won't run out as long as they can replenish it
It takes more than 8 hours to pump it back. Usually days. And if they keep running the water schemes daily to keep the stages from increasing it means they are running it at least 12 hours daily. and realistically only replenishing it between 23:00 and say 6am. So they are draining more than they pump back. It will get empty soon.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
It takes more than 8 hours to pump it back. Usually days. And if they keep running the water schemes daily to keep the stages from increasing it means they are running it at least 12 hours daily. and realistically only replenishing it between 23:00 and say 6am. So they are draining more than they pump back. It will get empty soon.
Actually a pumped storage scheme takes exactly the same time to charge and discharge (with about a 15 minute turnaround time). The main cost is a slight loss of efficiency (around 15%). Otherwise I agree.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Building up diesel reserves is an oxymoron. You either have fuel, or you get it delivered, you cannot build fuel.
If you use it faster than it can be delivered...? So you fill up a reservoir?

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
If you use it faster than it can be delivered...? So you fill up a reservoir?
If you are using diesel faster than it is delivered, then you can try to conserve it. You cannot replenish it, only wait for the next delivery. /pedant mode

It makes Eskom seem all mushy and blameless, instead of admitting that they f*****d up and didn't plan properly.

Düber

We are supposed to be off now, but I don't think the technician came to work today.

Where should I complain?

Captain Beer

Executive Member
eksdom.JPG

Stage 4 still going according to the Eskom. Waiting for a friend in an outlying area due to be shed in the next few minutes to confirm.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Stage 4 did not end at 4am because 01:00 I went off and that was only supposed to happen on stage 3 or higher. They only moved from stage 4 at about 3 or 4am....

Lupus

Honorary Master
Seems they cannot get anything right, people have been out most of the day, yet the "rotational" load shedding goes on and hits areas that were previously out for 9 hours before and and and. You'd think that perhaps maybe someone would have a clue and go wait these guys have been off 9 hours, we cannot hit them with load shedding. Oh what the hell bam, then it takes another 3 hours on top of "restoring" power for them, so in essence they had no power the entire day.
But remember stage 4 still allows 80% capacity, where exactly that is I don't know, as I've seen most of Johannesburg our for the entire day yesterday, I think the East Rand and Soweto were the only spared areas.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Honestly my solar setup (hugely expensive) with a 15kw battery, generating about 30kw a day... with a 13.5kva diesel generator for night time has been the best money I've spent. Next up is a gas stove with gas oven, plumbed gas heater for the lounge, gas geyser and a 2500l municipal water backup system. This is all going live in the next 3 months...
Zumas fire pool is bigger, 2500l backup water is not really that much when the zombie apocolypse comes. :)

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
Seems they cannot get anything right, people have been out most of the day, yet the "rotational" load shedding goes on and hits areas that were previously out for 9 hours before and and and. You'd think that perhaps maybe someone would have a clue and go wait these guys have been off 9 hours, we cannot hit them with load shedding. Oh what the hell bam, then it takes another 3 hours on top of "restoring" power for them, so in essence they had no power the entire day.
But remember stage 4 still allows 80% capacity, where exactly that is I don't know, as I've seen most of Johannesburg our for the entire day yesterday, I think the East Rand and Soweto were the only spared areas.
where the majority cANCer voters sleep there is no load shedding.
Just imagine if you cut off the free electricity to these voters?
Civil war comes to mind

Lupus

Honorary Master
where the majority cANCer voters sleep there is no load shedding.
Just imagine if you cut off the free electricity to these voters?
Civil war comes to mind
It might actually be needed to be fair, I mean they have brought Johannesburg to its knees, you could count the suburbs up on your hand. Still can, you just look at twitter and it's pretty much the entire Johannesburg down again for the count.
It would actually be safer if they didn't load shed as apparently all this is doing is blowing substations left right and center. Why because for the last 25 years nothing has been done on them, though they've had plenty of opportunity what with the load shedding.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
It might actually be needed to be fair, I mean they have brought Johannesburg to its knees, you could count the suburbs up on your hand. Still can, you just look at twitter and it's pretty much the entire Johannesburg down again for the count.
It would actually be safer if they didn't load shed as apparently all this is doing is blowing substations left right and center. Why because for the last 25 years nothing has been done on them, though they've had plenty of opportunity what with the load shedding.
very true on that.
fact is the ANC have spent very little money on maintenance on everything out there, not just on ESKOM but in general everything.
Their attitude is If it isnt broken dont fix it.
The term preventative maintenance does not go through their skulls, just flies straight over their head and they spend the money elsewhere (or pilfering, whichever comes first)

MirageF1

Executive Member
very true on that.
fact is the ANC have spent very little money on maintenance on everything out there, not just on ESKOM but in general everything.
Their attitude is If it isnt broken dont fix it.
The term preventative maintenance does not go through their skulls, just flies straight over their head and they spend the money elsewhere (or pilfering, whichever comes first)
Africans aren't known for their engineering prowess historically... :)

And this lot aren't likely to change that reality.