Stage one load shedding risk remains this winter: Eskom

Hephaestus

Forging
The parastatal says it's been using the lockdown to perform maintenance and was able to achieve 30 000 MW available capacity yesterday without the use of the open-cycle gas turbines.

It says by the second week of April maintenance had gone up to 63% to 9800 MW, thanks to the opportunity presented by reduced demand as a result of the lockdown.

Eskom CEO Andre de Ryter says the utility has also seen good progress in some of the elements of their turnaround strategy - including operational stability.

But he warns the risk of load shedding remains over the next 18 months because the system is unreliable and unpredictable

air

Expert Member
For the Cape Town peeps - does anyone know whether the Steenbras Hydo maintenanace has been completed - in the past that by put us at LS_StageNum-1

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I wish I could use excuses like this with no real consequences. Walk into my boss' office and be like "Hey Bucko, so I made some good progress on my work but there is still a risk of timesheet-shedding over the next 18 months because my mood is unpredictable"

Lupus

Honorary Master
I wish I could use excuses like this with no real consequences. Walk into my boss' office and be like "Hey Bucko, so I made some good progress on my work but there is still a risk of timesheet-shedding over the next 18 months because my mood is unpredictable"
I tried that with my boss, it was an interesting conversation...

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Nah the risk is minimal..

We won't leave Lockdown until summer starts rolling around again, so Eskom can breath easier....

borro

Expert Member
Perhaps we should commit suicide en masse, to lighten the load.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Don't worry, load shedding in winter is not as bad as in summer:
Wonderful logic:
Load shedding in winter doesn’t have the same economic impact as in summer, Eskom told Parliament. It is likely to turn off the lights only during the evening peak, between 17:00 and 20:00, which has less of an effect on businesses than doing so during working hours.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Don't worry, load shedding in winter is not as bad as in summer:
Wonderful logic:
Is the Steenbras dam back online? Then us Cape Townians won't have to experience any LS this winter (assuming level 1) :giggle: