Standard Bank launches services status page

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Standard Bank launches services status page

Standard Bank has launched a service status website which aims to help its customers stay up to date on the status of its banking services and features.

The portal provides an overview of the real-time states of the bank's online and mobile banking channels.

Customers can also register to receive updates on issues via their email address or mobile number, as well as RSS or Atom feeds, with communication claimed to be "immediate".

WAslayer

Executive Member
So, instead of spending the same money, time, resources etc etc on fixing whatever nonsense keeps breaking your systems EVERY month, you waste it on a stupid status page to tell me what I would know in a second, when I actually need to use the app or online banking etc..

I am not, and I am sure neither are all your other customers, going to go to your status page to see if things are working every time before I need to swipe my card, use the app or internet banking..

Get your shyte in order and spend your resources wisely..

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So, instead of spending the same money, time, resources etc etc on fixing whatever nonsense keeps breaking your systems EVERY month, you waste it on a stupid status page to tell me what I would know in a second, when I actually need to use the app or online banking etc..

I am not, and I am sure neither are all your other customers, going to go to your status page to see if things are working every time before I need to swipe my card, use the app or internet banking..

Lol there's nothing wrong with a status page. Google, MS, Apple etc. all have one.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
The status page will probably not even work month end.

Joke of a bank, services always go down on month end.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Lol there's nothing wrong with a status page. Google, MS, Apple etc. all have one.
Sure, a status page is useful.. but you create a status page with resources that could have been put to better use fixing a monthly recurring issue first, then you can create a status page..

The_MAC

Executive Member
Sure, a status page is useful.. but you create a status page with resources that could have been put to better use fixing a monthly recurring issue first, then you can create a status page..
You are assuming it is the same effort required..

The status page will simple manage expectations and possibly reduce call-center volumes, which also free's up resources

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

It's the same system you use to make sure your app is up after deploy, if you notice the footer of the site it says powered by statuspage from Atlassian. The stuff for the task have probably been there for a very long time, it's just that they enabled a status page bit that's a plug and play solution from Atlassian which really isn't a lot of work.

WAslayer

Executive Member
You are assuming it is the same effort required..

The status page will simple manage expectations and possibly reduce call-center volumes, which also free's up resources
Whether it is the same effort or not, it's resources better spent there.. they are sticking their fingers in the holes of the dyke and will soon run out of fingers if they continue down this road..

Soon the status page goes offline, because all their customers are rushing there and the call center gets overwhelmed with calls about the status page not working..

Murmaider

A news article to tell us that standard bank took out an account with statuspage.io (we use them, its awesome).
Nice!

MagicMarq

Customers can also register to receive updates on issues via their email address or mobile number, as well as RSS or Atom feeds, with communication claimed to be "immediate".

Another opportunity for Standard Bank Banksters to charge additional fees.

Theres a fee against every transaction
A management fee - which per help desk is a fee to keep account active (Apparently a balance and transactions are not enough)
This year they added 'myupdate for business' fee for updating me. A special favour I was told as they did not charge me before for this.
A Service fee which does not agree to the transactional fees - so no idea how that works.

There is no contact page from the banking website
Their website contact requires name id numbers and personal info before talking to you.
Did try it though - a week later received an email to say they had a problem - not going to answer.
The help desk is just .....well ...not help.