Standard Bank moving towards fingerprint banking

Xzib1t

Expert Member
Would love to see Capitiec's iOS app catch up, since fingerprint technology have been part of their system for years..

whatwhat

Executive Member
Great move for them.

FNB are seriously slacking these days with app updates and supporting newer device features.

ghostR

Executive Member
Great move for them.

FNB are seriously slacking these days with app updates and supporting newer device features.
Yes, nice feature. Although STD should rather focus on more critical aspects, such as actual banking needs, good service, efficient branch service. Efficient online banking site where you can control more aspects of your accounts other than transacting only and making a few changes to contact details.

Ivanr

Expert Member
Problem with this bank is that they do not cater for the Windows Phone OS as their "Moving Forward" actually means "Moving Backwards". Mr Taljaard please smell the coffee and wake up. We will not be forced to use Android or iOs devices.:(

whatwhat

Executive Member
Problem with this bank is that they do not cater for the Windows Phone OS as their "Moving Forward" actually means "Moving Backwards". Mr Taljaard please smell the coffee and wake up. We will not be forced to use Android or iOs devices.:(

That will change with Windows 10 when you can just cross compile your Android/iOS project to Windows store.

krycor

Honorary Master
No sure i like this.. if they using the iOS fingerprint match they need to realise that the account holder != phone fingerprint authoriser

whatwhat

Executive Member
No sure i like this.. if they using the iOS fingerprint match they need to realise that the account holder != phone fingerprint authoriser

You don't have to turn on TouchID for authentication.

R13...

Honorary Master

Wouldn't that be the same as handing your bank PIN to someone else. Then it is your problem. I'm sure/hope they'd not use the default touch ID finger print, they'd have the app conduct additional touch ID which would require normal password login first.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Wouldn't that be the same as handing your bank PIN to someone else. Then it is your problem. I'm sure/hope they'd not use the default touch ID finger print, they'd have the app conduct additional touch ID which would require normal password login first.

What do you mean, do you even own an iPhone? TouchID stores finger prints, and whatever is stored is used to unlock the phone and can be used to unlock supported apps. You can't select a different finger print or specific finger print for an app unless you have a jailbroken device.

Praemon

Expert Member
Yes, nice feature. Although STD should rather focus on more critical aspects, such as actual banking needs, good service, efficient branch service. Efficient online banking site where you can control more aspects of your accounts other than transacting only and making a few changes to contact details.

Yeah. Like they still don't have a read-only user account option for internet banking. So for businesses that need to give multiple employees access to check statements, they have to give them the primary login with full transaction permissions. Really silly and is a security risk.

R13...

Honorary Master
What do you mean, do you even own an iPhone? TouchID stores finger prints, and whatever is stored is used to unlock the phone and can be used to unlock supported apps. You can't select a different finger print or specific finger print for an app unless you have a jailbroken device.

No I do not own an iPhone. In that case it's a bit odd but still I would expect that people would be smart enough not to install a banking app on other people's phones or rather more likely when selling the device be sure it is reset first.