Standard Bank online and mobile banking outage - 27 October 2021

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Standard Bank pay-day outage strikes

Standard Bank online and mobile banking channels are down, with numerous customers complaining they cannot log into the mobile banking app or Internet banking.

Complaints on Twitter showed that users of both the Android and iOS banking apps were greeted with a "The app is offline" notification.

BCR

Expert Member

Irony is, when I managed to login about 15mins. ago, could get to the payments section via profile (internet banking).

Put the payments in, but couldn't get confirmation of them going through online - however, SMS's came through to the phone registered that they'd gone through ; but, one was paid twice - a small amount, TG.

So one can work around it part of the way until those characters at S/Bank get their act together, but you won't get a payment receipt (not yet).

EDIT : @ 10H20 managed to log back in & things working normally again.

Last edited:

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
PSA - how to deal and handle incidents and trigger a review process to mitigate repeats.

You're welcome Standard Bank.

JustSomeGuy21

I switched from Standard 3 years ago, i was on my way home from Holiday and they had an outage, could not pay for fuel, had to wait at the station till their systems came back online. Horrible experience.

RonSwanson

Executive Member

Irony is, when I managed to login about 15mins. ago, could get to the payments section via profile (internet banking).

Put the payments in, but couldn't get confirmation of them going through online - however, SMS's came through to the phone registered that they'd gone through ; but, one was paid twice - a small amount, TG.

So one can work around it part of the way until those characters at S/Bank get their act together, but you won't get a payment receipt (not yet).

EDIT : @ 10H20 managed to log back in & things working normally again.
Still down for me.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
The app probably has a dependency on a service running under someone's desk in Simmonds Street and they haven't figured it out yet as no-one there can read a wireshark. :ROFL: :popcorn: