Standing Desk recommendation

Dylan_G

Expert Member
My frame arrived a week ago. Looks like my own hardwood top wlll arrive tomorrow. Can' wait to get it assembled. Also have a select few more goodies that will make it better, but another few still deciding on how to do them, so some later upgrades will be good too.
Details on the top and goodies?

Or will we get a post in time? ;)

animal531

Expert Member
Anyone else finding it slightly difficult to adjust to standing?

Not my feet or ankles but more my lower back and hips taking a hit.

I'm not standing at my desk anymore, but my issue is my feet.

Even with a proper standing mat + carpet + shoes my feet become very tired and sore after about 45m max. Eventually I was standing less and less and then I just stopped.

Maybe after this wave I'll go see a foot doctor and have them check out my foot shape and see if there's something I can do to help it.

Tinuva

The Magician
My top arrived very late on Saturday, which meant the assembling was left over for Sunday, as it was time to braai on Saturday.

I used a facebook guy to do it and in retrospect, I think I could have done a better job. It is no smooth on top and I think when the pieces were added together their direction was not swapped at each piece which means the bending might be worse than it should be. Lesson learned but I was in a hurry so my own fault.

None the less, it looks beautiful I think.

Assembling was rather quick on the TekDesk 2.0. Some of the instructions wasn't obvious but after looking over twice its all there. Assembling the desk was the quick part, less than 30minutes in the morning, even with a sore wrist+hand. What took much longer was transferring all the stuff from the old desk but neatening it up at the same time. Also I think the one work monitor may have a semi faulty hdmi port, or its coming loose from the pcboard inside which is annoying.

Then there were a few surprises. I couldn't open up the multiplug to add a longer cord to it. I don't want to cut and solder, I prefer a longer cable that is just neater, before screwing it into the bottom at the back.

The other item I really miss still, is a monitor stand for 2 reasons. Height of the monitors and also to add some more space for things below the monitors. Thats for phase 2.

Also learned, the wireless usb dongles can't be too far left, then my mouse don't work. Will position and hide it better in phase 2.

I love the 3 position memory buttons.
1. Sit position
2. Standing position
3. Highest at the top...keeping desk away from 2 year old :sneaky:

On to the photos.

The top:
IMG_20210710_154202.jpg

Assembled:
IMG_20210711_102522.jpg

Everything transferred and set up for phase 1, ready for Monday morning. You can see this photo was taken early evening on Sunday.
IMG_20210711_191949.jpg

_Dogbert

WFH for too long with a cheap chair left me with back pain, so I had to go on a similar journey recently to look for a standing desk. That's how I stumbled upon this thread.

After looking at a bunch of different options, I eventually narrowed it down to Deskstand's TekDesk 2.0 and a Clever desk from Cecil Nurse. I was keen on the TekDesk, but despite lots of good feedback on quality, I didn't have much luck in getting them to answer my questions (i.e. are there upcoming promotions, when can they deliver, and do they have brackets to attach my case to the stand).

Consequently, I went with the Clever Desk - it's slightly bigger and I could get a white top with a black frame that fits in nicely with the rest of my home office setup for a fair bit less than a white TekDesk. It does lack one nice-to-have - memory settings for the height. Nonetheless, I can spare 5 seconds to adjust the height of my desk when I need to. Cecil Nurse also included assembly in the purchase price (since I'm in their delivery radius), which was a huge help. Their service was really great, and I can recommend them to anyone who's looking.

I posted on social media about my purchase (since I asked for advice in the same place), and DeskStand responded by telling me that I was "not clever" to buy the Clever desk from Cecil Nurse (in a post that they have since deleted after being called out on it) and publicly badmouthing their competitor and ranting about how "unstable" and "hard to assemble" my desk is - and then they blocked me. Despite the fact that their products have really good reviews, their attitude was horrid. IMO, the best PR approach would have been to say "hey, we're sorry we couldn't help - will you let us know what happened?". Second best would've been to ignore it. Worst would be to go "hey, you're an idiot and our competitor sucks and we'll block you".

Last edited:

Tinuva

The Magician
WFH for too long with a cheap chair left me with back pain, so I had to go on a similar journey recently to look for a standing desk. That's how I stumbled upon this thread.

After looking at a bunch of different options, I eventually narrowed it down to Deskstand's TekDesk 2.0 and a Clever desk from Cecil Nurse. I was keen on the TekDesk, but despite lots of good feedback on quality, I didn't have much luck in getting them to answer my questions (i.e. are there upcoming promotions, when can they deliver, and do they have brackets to attach my case to the stand).

Consequently, I went with the Clever Desk - it's slightly bigger and I could get a white top with a black frame that fits in nicely with the rest of my home office setup for a fair bit less than a white TekDesk. It does lack one nice-to-have - memory settings for the height. Nonetheless, I can spare 5 seconds to adjust the height of my desk when I need to. Cecil Nurse also included assembly in the purchase price (since I'm in their delivery radius), which was a huge help. Their service was really great, and I can recommend them to anyone who's looking.

I posted on social media about my purchase (since I asked for advice in the same place), and DeskStand responded by calling me stupid (well, they said I was "not clever" to buy the Clever desk from Cecil Nurse) and publicly badmouthing their competitor and ranting about how "unstable" and "hard to assemble" my desk is - and then they blocked me. Despite the fact that their products have really good reviews, their attitude was horrid. IMO, the best PR approach would have been to say "hey, we're sorry we couldn't help - will you let us know what happened?". Second best would've been to ignore it. Worst would be to go "hey, you're an idiot and our competitor sucks and we'll block you".
Hectic. Link? Or was it a private message

Ghost02

Expert Member
Does anyone with a tekdesk stand know if it would be fine to put a 2m wide tabletop ontop? I don't think it should cause issues but I've never owned one so would rather be safe.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Does anyone with a tekdesk stand know if it would be fine to put a 2m wide tabletop ontop? I don't think it should cause issues but I've never owned one so would rather be safe.

As long as it is under max weight (120k I think?) it should be fine.

Tinuva

The Magician
Have anyone here tried something like this with their Tekdesk standing desk?

I like the idea. It is easy for me to stand for an hour, but I do forget to go back to standing most of the time. For now I stand up for meetings, but usually I only have standup once in the morning which is when I get most of my standing in now. Also nice o be standing for standup again.

maxxis

2.4m top on mine. No issues.

krycor

Honorary Master
Update: I’m still enjoying my deskstand wall unit.. I use the narrow shelf only (wonder if I can buy another narrow shelf) and sometimes sit as a normal desk, other times stand a bit.

Love the ability to move between the two modes of use and it being narrow enough to just have notebook (no clutter)

What does bug me is the location I put it in.. though I don’t really have another location I can use it tbh due to house nature (study has windows and glass door.. the one wall that I use for tv). So yah.. bedroom it is and only one spot I could use.. at least it has a view.