Star Trek: Discovery [SPOILERS]

theratman

Honorary Master
Nah they are going to do some kind of time warp thing as Stamets is in touch with the universe now.
Wonder if he'll become literally part of the ship? I'm getting the feeling his days are numbered

theratman

Honorary Master
Might be why the spore drive is not seen in the 24th Century and beyond :)
Yeah :)

There better be a Borg episode at some point too. Irrc the only series without one was TOS, and for obvious reasons.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Yeah :)

There better be a Borg episode at some point too. Irrc the only series without one was TOS, and for obvious reasons.
Assimilating a ship built out of cardboard cut outs and people with fugly and ill fitting uniforms not worth the trouble? :crylaugh::crylaugh:

porchrat

Honorary Master
Wat? How forced?
The whole show is an obvious SJW utopia.

I don't usually pick up on things like that when I watch series but with this show it is very difficult not to notice it.

Women (usually of colour) or men "of colour" in the major positions of authority who are driven motivated and damn near perfect in every aspect with white characters constantly portrayed as deeply flawed or inept.

Whenever a US minority character has a flaw there is always a backstory element showing that it isn't their fault (the Klingon's experimented on him, or she excelled but was rejected because racism (read, not Vulcan) etc. etc.), they are always victims. Conversely the white characters are flawed/inept because they're just inherently flawed/inept.

Women purposefully portrayed over and over again doing the work that in our society is usually performed by men and vice versa (look in the background, women doing the welding, shooting etc. with men doing the medical stuff etc.)

The PC stuff is laughably in your face but it's still a good story so I enjoy it and continue to watch it.

I don't think the gay relationship between the doc and Stamets was forced though. I quite liked both characters (I mean, once the inherent whitey character flaws of Stamets were removed by literally altering his DNA of course) and found their relationship quite genuine and refreshing.

Last edited:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
The whole show is an obvious SJW utopia.

I don't usually pick up on things like that when I watch series but with this show it is very difficult not to notice it.

Women (usually of colour) or men "of colour" in the major positions of authority who are driven motivated and damn near perfect in every aspect with white characters constantly portrayed as deeply flawed or inept.

Whenever a US minority character has a flaw there is always a backstory element showing that it isn't their fault (the Klingon's experimented on him, or she excelled but was rejected because racism (read, not Vulcan) etc. etc.), they are always victims. Conversely the white characters are flawed/inept because they're just inherently flawed/inept.

Women purposefully portrayed over and over again doing the work that in our society is usually performed by men and vice versa (look in the background, women doing the welding, shooting etc. with men doing the medical stuff etc.)

The PC stuff is laughably in your face but it's still a good story so I enjoy it and continue to watch it.

I don't think the gay relationship between the doc and Stamets was forced though. I quite liked both characters (I mean, once the inherent whitey character flaws of Stamets were removed by literally altering his DNA of course) and found their relationship quite genuine and refreshing.
Cant say I have really noticed it. But now that you have mentioned it, now that is all I will notice most propably. Thank you for ruining Discovery for me porchrat! :mad:

:p

Seriously though, I have been enjoying each character so far. Guess I was just a bit upset when the normal gay character sacrifice had to occur. /sigh

porchrat

Honorary Master
Cant say I have really noticed it. But now that you have mentioned it, now that is all I will notice most propably. Thank you for ruining Discovery for me porchrat! :mad:

:p

Seriously though, I have been enjoying each character so far. Guess I was just a bit upset when the normal gay character sacrifice had to occur. /sigh
LOL sorry Ockie. Hopefully like me you will look past the obvious social engineering idiocy and just enjoy the engaging story.

I must say I didn't think that doctor got enough screentime. I saw him so little that despite him potentially being a cool character I never really got emotionally invested in him. I don't even remember his name. Stamets on the other hand I really like. He is my favourite character of the entire show. His journey from arrogant, rude and dismissive a-hole to compassionate selfless and dedicated human being has been great.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

He has inserted his own insecurities into the whole thing, I would largely ignore it.

There is no character who is not flawed, and it can be argued that that the main character has displayed the largest flaws

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
But if it was a hetero character, it would be fine?!!!.

Just winding you up....I was equally disappointed when the security chick got killed by the monster....I like her in a dodgy way. It is human nature to judge things the way we Live them

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
But if it was a hetero character, it would be fine?!!!.

Just winding you up....I was equally disappointed when the security chick got killed by the monster....I like her in a dodgy way. It is human nature to judge things the way we Live them
First ... she was a chick. So I dont care.
Secondly....she was fcking stupid and got what she deserved. So I care even less.

Perhaps if she was a lesbian and had some actual skill like welding a hole in the left nacelle shut then I might have felt something. :p

porchrat

Honorary Master
He has inserted his own insecurities into the whole thing, I would largely ignore it.

There is no character who is not flawed, and it can be argued that that the main character has displayed the largest flaws
The mentor captain from the beginning of the series was portrayed as largely without flaws. She was dedicated, compassionate, a good leader that kept her calm.

Similar with the doctor. no major character flaws that I could see.

Besides I never said they didn't have flaws. I said pretty much all the flaws we see in the minority characters are caused by something external with the minority character being the victim. The examples I provided were Michael's being raised by Vulcans after the tragic loss of her family leading to her battling with human emotions. Then her failing to enter the Science Academy, not because she didn't qualify, she was awesome and never truly failed at anything obviously (because she is an SJW character), but instead she was rejected because she was human and the seemingly xenophobic Vulcans were not prepared to let both her and Spock enter. These are external things with Michael as the victim.

With Tyler he is seen to be suffering from PTSD and a myriad of other psychological issues. These are caused not by some inherent character flaw within him but by the Klingons. Again, this is external with Tyler as the victim.

On the other hand with white characters like Tully, well she is just inherently a doormat and Captain Lorca is simply lacking in compassion, being prepared to sacrifice crew for the sake of his mission. These flaws are just part of their character, there is no external cause.

If I'm off the mark point out where.

Last edited:

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Was it an ooopsie? Whenever Lorca is going to get in trouble, something happens to save him. He sent the admiral to be captured. He knew he would be retired when he got back to base.

He trolled the driver into volunteering....for a reason. I mean, you're risking your prime asset to save a 4-5hr trip?