Star Trek: Discovery [SPOILERS]

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Pss off, I got bored after about 10 minutes of last weeks episode and decided to watch The Grand Tour instead, need to see if it’s worth doing a catch up on this.
So I look like your TV series muse? Watch it if you're interested, otherwise don't

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Wait....we talking about something different? I’m talking about the captain, you talking about the security dude?

I am talking about the Captain - The flashbacks just before the last scene

The security dude was obvious and leaked - I think they probably planned it to throw off our scent

xcaliber

Expert Member
Really enjoying the series so far.

In episode 10, when the Vulcan cruiser comes up. I though the vulcans stopped making cruisers when they joined the Federation, so why is Discovery so relaxed to see one?

isie

Honorary Master
I dont get one thing why is the Mirror universe technological level on par with the regular universe ?
THey should in theory by 100 years ahead
The have had the Defiant for 100 years so they should be Next generation tech level by now?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
The whole show is an obvious SJW utopia.

I don't usually pick up on things like that when I watch series but with this show it is very difficult not to notice it.

Women (usually of colour) or men "of colour" in the major positions of authority who are driven motivated and damn near perfect in every aspect with white characters constantly portrayed as deeply flawed or inept.

Whenever a US minority character has a flaw there is always a backstory element showing that it isn't their fault (the Klingon's experimented on him, or she excelled but was rejected because racism (read, not Vulcan) etc. etc.), they are always victims. Conversely the white characters are flawed/inept because they're just inherently flawed/inept.

Women purposefully portrayed over and over again doing the work that in our society is usually performed by men and vice versa (look in the background, women doing the welding, shooting etc. with men doing the medical stuff etc.)

The PC stuff is laughably in your face but it's still a good story so I enjoy it and continue to watch it.

I don't think the gay relationship between the doc and Stamets was forced though. I quite liked both characters (I mean, once the inherent whitey character flaws of Stamets were removed by literally altering his DNA of course) and found their relationship quite genuine and refreshing.

It is no coincidence that the only true villain of the series is a heterosexual white male - Lorca. EDI:T: Wait sorry. I should have said, heterosexual cis gendered white male, possibly Christian too. Truly his crimes are heinous.

Tyler/Voq is a Klingon suffering from PTSD. And when he was Voq, he was a freedom fighter. He was fighting for the good of his race. Can't criticize a man for standing up for his race as long as that race is not white.

porchrat

Honorary Master
They eat Kelpien in this universe.....???? :wtf: Ok...

Makes sense. It was mentioned previously that Kelpiens were a prey species. Why would the Empire change that? They're violent xenophobes.