Starlink will take on fibre in South Africa

Jola

Honorary Master
Hmmm, I am in the middle of Joburg, and esentially no usable 4G, from anyone. Probably mostly due to congestion, but also position.

Fibre is available, but very expensive.

May be tempted by Starlink, especially if there is a way to easily take it with you on trips.

For example, off-road in Namibia, would that be possible ? Then I can dump the Satphone.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Hmmm, I am in the middle of Joburg, and esentially no usable 4G, from anyone. Probably mostly due to congestion, but also position.

May be tempted by Starlink, especially if there is a way to easily take it with you on trips.

For example, off-road in Namibia, would that be possible ? Then I can dump the Satphone.

At this time no. Currently you may only deploy it at the address you have registered. Starlink stated that this is NOT geolocking.

In their FAQ:

Can I travel with Starlink, or move it to a different address?
Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

They said that they will be moving past this restriction at some point in time, but didn't go into the technical details.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
At this time no. Currently you may only deploy it at the address you have registered. Starlink stated that this is NOT geolocking.

In their FAQ:

They said that they will be moving past this restriction at some point in time, but didn't go into the technical details.
I assume if you move locations you can have your cell moved? Like buy a new house or move to a new town?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I assume if you move locations you can have your cell moved? Like buy a new house or move to a new town?

It should sure be possible, but how they audit it in terms with abuse I don't know. I keep a watch on the Reddit thread and there are people taking it to their getaways where the product work without any hindrance.

Jola

Honorary Master
It should sure be possible, but how they audit it in terms with abuse I don't know. I keep a watch on the Reddit thread and there are people taking it to their getaways where the product work without any hindrance.

I suppose that it could be close enough to be in the same cell ?

How big are the cells ?

I may still be interested.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

In theory yes. Starlink would benefit from the rules that allow international mobile roaming. BUT, you would be very foolish to drop the satphone.
PS. Which satphone service are you currently using?

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I suppose that it could be close enough to be in the same cell ?

How big are the cells ?

I may still be interested.
Not really relevant, as there are many cells. It is just a mobile network in the sky.

Last edited:

Johand

Expert Member
A lot of people talk out of their behind when talking about Starlink being a fibre or LTE replacement. Don't take make word for it. Here is Elon himself :
Screenshot_20210226-000133_Twitter.jpg

_TrXtR_

Lotsa people pointing out its so pointless. And blah blah

There is not a single internet package like this in our country that provides the same latency to Europe and us or area coverage. Why you all looking at the cap? Its not the selling point at all.

They going to run into contention issues? Why? Is that like something that is only known about when it hits them?

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
I'm in that position.
LTE works fine without issues.
There's actually very few places left that don't have good LTE coverage by either of the top mobile networks.
LOL. Get out much? Or do you just believe the carp the network tell you?

Sinbad

Honorary Master

There is not a single internet package like this in our country that provides the same latency to Europe and us or area coverage. Why you all looking at the cap? Its not the selling point at all.

They going to run into contention issues? Why? Is that like something that is only known about when it hits them?
Are you one of those who believes that 20ms latency is from here to Europe?

LOM

Honorary Master
Don't need that at all. Can stream 4k fine on my 20mb line.
You did a direct comparison with a fixed line service. That wasn't bright.

Just say "I don't need a 300Mbps service that works almost anywhere on the planet"

Though why you would come here to say that is beyond me

LOM

Honorary Master
Not that much, no.
You can get a 1TB package at MTN or Telkom for roughly R999 per month.
Voda, not sure. Will have to check.
But if you want decent speeds and you don't live next to a tower or in an area where it is congested...

I paid R1200 pm for Telkom LTE-A and was getting 70 Mbps at most 90% of the time.
Similarly I was paying R1k at Supersonic for 50Mbps with 300 GB cap.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master

Because the. Marketing hype is BS.
Contention? Most definitely because there WILL NOT be enough capacity available to deliver the so called international latency benefits.

LOM

Honorary Master
Because the. Marketing hype is BS.
Contention? Most definitely because there WILL NOT be enough capacity available to deliver the so called international latency benefits.
Because you think their service will be saturated / oversubscribed? Tell us about their network model.