StarSat to retrench staff

Utterly Confused

SarSat is dead, It’s like flogging a dead horse, there is no moving forward, especially when there are the likes of Kodi and all the streaming services that have emerged lately. The final nail in the coffin for StarSat is the lack of sport. If a service does not offer sport then VOD is the way to go.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
They took away the Current TV channel, they took away my reason to give them R99pm...

entrepr

Expert Member
Sad for the loss of jobs, but the regulator has to create a more competitive environment here. And I agree - iptv is really the way to go - but never under-estimate the 'long tail' opportunities

Lupus

Honorary Master
Sad for the loss of jobs, but the regulator has to create a more competitive environment here. And I agree - iptv is really the way to go - but never under-estimate the 'long tail' opportunities
Iptv is only an option to a few people, we have horrible broadband in this country, judging mybroadband as the average Joe isn't right. Especially driving past townships I don't see phone lines running into the shacks but I do see plenty of dishes.

Thor

Honorary Master
They need to break the monochoice monopoly, the moment another place offers sports will be the immediate end of multichoice

Milano

Honorary Master
And yet DStv/M-Net/Multichoice experienced no such problems. Still reaping the state-provided monopoly rewards of the 80's and 90's $$$.

No competitive framework = no competition = consumers robbed of the right to choose = inflated subscriptions.

Competition commission still sleeps.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
I think they should take Multichoice on about the sport! They should offer SA Rugby among others, more money!

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
Multichoice will start with this too some or other time!! It maths are simple! It gets too expensive!

kianm

Honorary Master
Sad for those losing their jobs, I'm sure the emerging VOD services are also not helping them here