Starting Salary for 1st Year Accounting Trainee

ZiGGi3

Hi, just wanting to find out what each city's average salary is for an Bcom Honours graduate wanting to complete his first year of articles.

Thanks.

mjwitter

8-10k?? What are you smoking? R5k to R6k in Cape Town for first year articles.
I probably should have added that, firstly, I am a first year accountant trainee (articles clerk )in Cape Town, and, secondly, I know many others at audit firms in their first, second and final years who started on those salaries...

IceDreama

8-10k?? What are you smoking? R5k to R6k in Cape Town for first year articles.
lol. I think that question should be turned around. People without honours earn more than R6k. I had my honours in 1st year and started on R10k.

Sensorei

Expert Member
For a first year articles clerk in Cape Town with no work experience the average is R5k to R6k. R10k is unheard of. Cape Town salaries are lower than Joburg/Pretoria.

mjwitter

For a first year articles clerk in Cape Town with no work experience the average is R5k to R6k. R10k is unheard of. Cape Town salaries are lower than Joburg/Pretoria.
Where are these salaries being paid? I have yet to meet anyone with a bcom and honours who is being paid R5-R6k for articles. As IceDreama says, even those without honours, ie just a bcom, earn more than that.

Just_Ice

Executive Member
Busy with my 3rd year of accounting so going to follow this thread!
And so will I as a second year student.

I get paid R1250 a week for vac work, which is +-R6000/month. That was last year as a first year student.
What I once heard (and is by no means necessarily fact) though, is your first paycheck will be +-R9000 to R10000. Thats after tax and their other deductions (medical aid contributions etc)

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Depends. I know people getting 6k and people getting 14k. The 14k is an exception though.

10k is par for the course in Pta/Jhb. Cpt should be a grand or two lower.

first paycheck will be +-R9000 to R10000. Thats after tax and their other deductions (medical aid contributions etc)
Definitely not. The 10k is gross i.e. before all the deductions. Sucks compared to say engineers starting salary...but improves rapidly.

There is a bit of a problem though...historically the travel allowances favoured the clerks & subsidized things a bit (even if all claims are legit...which they should be since its checked)....now SARS is ruining that.:(

Last edited:

GrootBaas

I have also tried to compare these salaries in the past and in the end it differs from firm to firm.

Currently in my fourth and final year of articles (without honours urgh) and only got a decent salary jump to 8200 gross this year. Should mention though that I'm at a small firm where the salaries are usually bit less.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Currently in my fourth and final year of articles (without honours urgh) and only got a decent salary jump to 8200 gross this year. Should mention though that I'm at a small firm where the salaries are usually bit less.
How does that work? Honours is required for CTA/articles/PPE/QE.

Unless you're talking about a law firm?

Just_Ice

Executive Member
How does that work? Honours is required for CTA/articles/PPE/QE.

Unless you're talking about a law firm?
As far as I know, Saica rules are that you can do your articles while doing your honours part time, on condition that you do 5 years of articles (as opposed to 3) and that you complete your honours within that time. But now I'm actually wondering where in that process you would write your board exams...

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
As far as I know, Saica rules are that you can do your articles while doing your honours part time, on condition that you do 5 years of articles (as opposed to 3) and that you complete your honours within that time. But now I'm actually wondering where in that process you would write your board exams...
Still doesn't jive with what was said above.

The part time students do Hons over 2 years. So first 2 years Hons/Work, then QE at the first opportunity (which is now in January). Wait for QE results then PPE at next opportunity.

RandomGRK

Expert Member
I work for one of the big 4 audit firms in Joburg and i can confirm that starting salary for an audit clerk is between R120k - R140k per annum dependant on which firm you go to. Increases can be large though but expect to struggle for the first 2 years if you live on your own and pay for a car.

KalMaverick

Expert Member
@Just_Ice & HavocXphere

Not exactly. The 5 year is if you are studying part-time with no BCom Accounting degree.

If you have the degree but no Honours then you enter a 4 year learnership and do your CTA part time

To pursue a career as a Chartered Accountant on a part time basis you will be able to immediately enter into a five-year training contract with a Registered Training Office (RTO) upon which you must complete a B Com Accounting degree or equivalent CA (SA) undergraduate qualification as then complete the CTA or equivalent.

The same pre-requisites apply for as for entering into full-time study.

Another option is to complete your undergraduate qualification full time and then enter into a 4-year learnership at an RTO or ATO and complete your CTA or equivalent part-time.
Still not sure how exactly the guy's scenario fits into this.

Honours is required for CTA/articles/PPE/QE.
Not exactly no it isn't.

Last edited: