Starting Salary for 1st Year Accounting Trainee

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Year 1: Nothing
Year 2: Next to nothing
Year 3: A little more than nothing.

My wife finished her articles a few years back, but Im sure it hasnt changed much. Also note you might not want to do your articles at KPMG with the whole Gupta scandal.

It also hit KPMG Cape Town the hardest as their clients left, and last I heard they were looking at "downsizing".

Last edited:

jman

Expert Member
Hi all, back to the topic . What do trainees earn in 2018 in Cape Town? Big four ? Would like to know for all 3 years how it changes . Thanks !
Round 15k in Joburg. So not much

Diego Tristan

First year articles in 2014 = R10k net
2nd year = R14k net
3rd year after 2nd board = R20k net.

Big Four. Gauteng.

Zoldyck

Its a bit more than that i think. Currently getting 11k-14.5k in durban gross depending on the firm
PKF is just under the Big 4 with starting salary
3 years are getting around 15k net

xcaliber

Expert Member
I would think it will come down a bit in Joburg after all the retrenchments in KMPG

FC2019

I have recently just been to a middle tier firm for an interview in JHB. Should be contacting me this week so I'm keen to find out what the range is today.

Badprop_za

Expert Member
That's low. I started in 2009 with R8800 in Durban.
That depends on the size of the firm.

In 2004 I started with R4 500 at KPMG. The R3 500 mentioned by emptybruwer could have been a smaller firm.
Customer base also plays a big role. Trainees in the same firm but different branches earn different salaries as well.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
hehe don't think salaries from that far back are of much use to anyone.

SA big 4 are on glassdoor - you can check salaries there

FC2019

Update. The contract they send does not include salary at this stage. So ones signs up now and finds out at the start of employment...next year

Ecko_1

Update. The contract they send does not include salary at this stage. So ones signs up now and finds out at the start of employment...next year
I signed for articles during my first year of campus. Found out my salary on work day one more than 3 years later

44xsake

JHB 2009 was 120k annual package at a big 4 for first year. Expect it would have gone up a lot since then.

emptybruwer

That depends on the size of the firm.

In 2004 I started with R4 500 at KPMG. The R3 500 mentioned by emptybruwer could have been a smaller firm.
Customer base also plays a big role. Trainees in the same firm but different branches earn different salaries as well.
Yes it was a small firm. I know of some firm's paying R12000 pm if you have honours. For a 1st year.

SaadiqC

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any idea what the TOPP programmes pay on average?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!