State capture inquiry begins

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

surface

Honorary Master
How many years can lawyers drag out an extradition request? They may 'relocate' in any case...
AFAIK, this has never been tested between UAE and SA. I am sure it will at least take 2 years depending on palm greasing options.

surface

Honorary Master

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Sometimes only Zapiro can make sense of the madness of our legal system:

DM-corruption-monopoly-2000px-768x968.jpg

Milano

Honorary Master

Ramaphosa revealed he's been overseeing the new Broederbond

One of the more revealing moments of President Cyril Ramaphosa's lacklustre performance before the Commission of Inquiry into State Capture was his defence of cadre deployment.

In a rare moment of real emotion, Ramaphosa pleaded with Acting Chief Justice Raymond Zondo not to find that the party's deployment committee be scrapped. He had good reason for his panicked response.

The records and minutes of the party's cadre deployment committee, obtained by subpoena, show that contrary to Ramaphosa's claims that the committee exercised only "soft power", the reality was different.

The committee, as outlined at length by the evidence leaders, "imposed its will" through "commands, prescriptions and instructions".

Outspoken ANC stalwart Mavuso Msimang has expressed abhorrence at the party's cadre deployment policy, saying it has proven to be a disaster and promotes incompetency and tender corruption.

He said the best option was a system in which skilled civil servants were accountable to the state instead of the party.

In an interview with Ann Bernstein, executive director of the Centre for Enterprise Development, Msimang, a former member of uMkhonto we Sizwe (MK) high command and the famous MK Luthuli Detachment, said cadre deployment created many problems, including promoting tenderpreneurship.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
An optimistic view of what the state capture commission should lead to:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
OT, but relevant,m

South African whistle-blower: I don't feel safe​

The recent murder of South African civil servant Babita Deokaran, who blew the whistle on government corruption, has highlighted the dangers for those who speak out against the mounting problem, writes the BBC's Pumza Fihlani.

"What happens when your boss is corrupt [and]... the president is implicated?"
Mosilo Mothepu's question hangs in the room, demanding an answer that has to balance morality, good citizenship and personal safety.

Six years ago she was faced with the dilemma of what to do, and decided to call out the corruption.
Everything changed.

"I don't feel safe, I don't follow a routine, I always feel like someone is following me so that peace of mind is not there. It's been hard, it's been very hard," she says.

No regrets​

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) denies that the government is failing whistle-blowers.

"The witness protection programme of the NPA is hugely successful and there has been no need identified to enhance it in any way," it said in an email to the BBC.

But joining the programme means leaving everything behind, which for some is too big a sacrifice to make.
So what does the government do about these people?

"We can't protect them… We do advise on steps they can take to protect themselves. The NPA can provide limited protection in suitable cases," the statement said.

It has been more than four years since Ms Mothepu first spoke out and the Guptas, who have yet to be questioned by the authorities, have moved to Dubai.

She wants to rebuild her life and she has written a book, Uncaptured, which she hopes will inspire more people to "speak out against evil".

"Imagine where this country would be if we all did nothing, if everyone chose to look the other way? We can't let it go to ruin.

"My life will be fine, I've done my part and have no regrets, this country is worth it for me".

surface

Honorary Master
OT, but relevant,m

Brave lady. This was interesting. Zuma is not a Christian then. Dammit - I thought I could pin it on Christians but it looks they have covered both sides. I suppose Vishnu from Guptas added some dark stuff to Yahweh/Trinity, hey?

But her Christian beliefs as well as her personal integrity drove her to speak out.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
zuma has set the precedent so everyone is going to go this way..

Not quite a precedent, more of a manifestation. Good, for the state to subpoena Agrizzi’s doctor, but the doctor needs to be summoned to the court, and if an act of perjury should be decisively dealt with in the fashion of a common cause.

If it wasn’t for Zuma’s special plea, we would have already been at the process of having his doctors testify in the court, but being military doctors… good luck.

All of these criminally tainted are scum, leeches of society.

To be on topic, even after Zondo's report, a large amount of cases, which should 'naturally' come to fruition, will be challenged by these mysterious illnesses, but we are still far away from this.