State of SA Rugby

Drifter

Honorary Master
I think our RUgby is quite healthy at the moment, with quite a bit of depth in key positions.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
hello? any1 here?

here I go. what's wrong with the Lions?

hello? any1 here?

here I go. what's wrong with the Lions?

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/lions-guilty-of-taking-wrong-options-1.1675730#.VDPTf1WSzOg

Lions guilty of taking wrong options

Poor decision-making at crucial times cost the Lions a chance of knocking over the Sharks at Ellis Park on Saturday, leaving coach Johan Ackermann and Co again wondering, “What might have been?”

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/no-roar-in-the-lions-game-1.1747180#.VDPTgVWSzOg

‘No roar’ in the Lions’ game

Pretoria – Golden Lions’ coach Johan Ackermann described his team’s 36-26 defeat to the Blue Bulls in Saturday’s Currie Cup match at Loftus Versfeld as “the most boring game of rugby” he has seen for a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lions_(Super_Rugby)

They have not achieved great success in the competition, finishing at the bottom of the table six times (in 1998, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010 and 2012). However, they have managed to reach the semifinal stage twice (in 2000 and 2001). The Lions play in a red and white strip.

I think the Lions can integrate with the Cheetahs :p

/runs

MickeyD

RIP
I think our RUgby is quite healthy at the moment, with quite a bit of depth in key positions.
Looking at the bigger picture I disagree.

At school level, the top schools are brilliant and are producing some brilliant young players. However... there is a HUGE talent pool that is disappearing at grassroots level.

We have a massive problem at club level. There are not enough youngsters filtering into the clubs from the schools. The top school players are being contracted directly into the franchise companies or universities and almost never play club rugby.

Rugby on the platteland is dead but for the schools.

So to say all is sunshine and roses while the Boks are winning is to live in a fool's paradise.

^Yeh I agree with this. It seems that if you don't go and play rugby in university there is no way for you to get into any of the provincial teams.

Am I right with that assumption? (anyone in the know can help me out if i'm wrong)

MickeyD

RIP
^Yeh I agree with this. It seems that if you don't go and play rugby in university there is no way for you to get into any of the provincial teams.

Am I right with that assumption? (anyone in the know can help me out if i'm wrong)
Either that, a rugby academy or getting contracted at school level straight to a franchise U19 or U20 squad...

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
Looking at the bigger picture I disagree.

At school level, the top schools are brilliant and are producing some brilliant young players. However... there is a HUGE talent pool that is disappearing at grassroots level.

We have a massive problem at club level. There are not enough youngsters filtering into the clubs from the schools. The top school players are being contracted directly into the franchise companies or universities and almost never play club rugby.

So to say all is sunshine and roses while the Boks are winning is to live in a fool's paradise.

You beat me to it ... I think we miss proper club rugby. A lot of the old school players went through a hard learning school at club level. These days, players are selected from school level and brought directly into the big leagues. Those that still love their rugby and can't make it, plays club. Pity...

I also miss "proewe". Before a Springbok side was selected, there were a couple of games where the best played on another. I think that died down because of the amount of rugby being played and the possibility of injuries.

Then there is the matter of the Wednesday rugby team ... why has this died? It was a perfect ground to school new players in the Bok side to get ready for tests!

ZCFOutkast

Expert Member

You beat me to it ... I think we miss proper club rugby. A lot of the old school players went through a hard learning school at club level. These days, players are selected from school level and brought directly into the big leagues. Those that still love their rugby and can't make it, plays club. Pity...

Rare synergy of nous from this tyrannous double-act.

I agree. I think laws should be put in place to prevent Provinces form signing players from schools/tertiary but strictly from clubs. Besides, how will transfromation targets be achieved if the school setup is treated as the primary pool for professional rugby. I've always wondered how it would work successfully under the curent path structures.

thestaggy

Honorary Master

From the Lions website, these are their partner clubs;

Alberton Rugby Club

Roodepoort Rugby Club

Randfontein Rugby Club

Raiders Rugby Club

Union Rugby Club

Pirates Rugby Club

Wits University Rugby Club

UJ Rugby Club

Wanderers Rugby Club

Diggers Rugby Club

Eldoronians Rugby Club

Germiston Simmer Rugby Club

Harlequins Rugby Club

Khosa Rugby Club

JHB Police Rugby Club

Soweto Rugby Club

Wes Wits Rugby Club

Jabulani Rugby Club

Alexandra Rugby Club

Titans Rugby Club

http://www.lionsrugby.co.za/content/4098/4071/other-lions-teams

Pretty sure they'd pick you up from any of these clubs if you showed enough ability. In fact, I am certain that I have read on multiple occasions that players from Alberton and Union have been called up to the Vodacom Cup squad in the past. I say those two as I get to read the local papers that report on the respective clubs.

Pretty sure they'd pick you up from any of these clubs if you showed enough ability. In fact, I am certain that I have read on multiple occasions that players from Alberton and Union have been called up to the Vodacom Cup squad in the past. I say those two as I get to read the local papers that report on the respective clubs.

o ok. cool. thanks for the info.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
From the Lions website, these are their partner clubs;

Alberton Rugby Club

Roodepoort Rugby Club

Randfontein Rugby Club

Raiders Rugby Club

Union Rugby Club

Pirates Rugby Club

Wits University Rugby Club

UJ Rugby Club

Wanderers Rugby Club

Diggers Rugby Club

Eldoronians Rugby Club

Germiston Simmer Rugby Club

Harlequins Rugby Club

Khosa Rugby Club

JHB Police Rugby Club

Soweto Rugby Club

Wes Wits Rugby Club

Jabulani Rugby Club

Alexandra Rugby Club

Titans Rugby Club

http://www.lionsrugby.co.za/content/4098/4071/other-lions-teams

When you post the WP clubs here, this thread will have to be resumed by part 2.