State-owned enterprises vs private South African companies - the winner is clear

R13...

Honorary Master
All the comparisons are misleading I think.

- Comair should be compared with a local only operating airline or regional one not the whole of SAA, as Comair only operate regionally.
- Broadband Infranco isn't comparable with MTN/Vodacom either, they offer different services and market segments. Maybe compare them with something like DFA

ForceFate

Honorary Master
In all fairness, can we compare SABC to Multichoice? SAA and Comair? Broadband Infraco and Vodacom?

Mista_Mobsta

Expert Member
Even though the comparison is clearly not fair, I am sure the general trend in SOE's governance and running concerns is pretty clear. Public - Private partnership seems to be a good start to fixing the entities.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
We must BEE and EE and AA the private space more to level the playing fields.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
All in the name of "empowerment" :sneaky:
It was all in the name of corruption. What else can it be? Look at what happens with private sector companies that have corrupt leaders. VBS, Steinhoff, etc.

McSack

Executive Member
All in the name of corruption.
Nobody in government or the SoE's was calling it that at time.
...and even today, paying a middleman who does nothing other than inflate the price of a product / service but does no work is celebrated as "empowerment"

McSack

Executive Member
It was all in the name of corruption. What else can it be? Look at what happens with private sector companies that have corrupt leaders. VBS, Steinhoff, etc.
So you'd view being forced to include a BEE partner in a deal for no good reason other than "empowerment policies" as corruption now? I couldn't agree more