State slated for declining Bennett asylum

BTTB

Executive Member
State slated for declining Bennett asylum

In a passionate plea the Democratic Alliance asked the government to offer asylum to former Zimbabwean opposition party MP, Roy Bennett.

"The declining by South Africa of his application for political asylum is shocking," said DA foreign affairs spokesperson Douglas Gibson during the Foreign Affairs Budget vote in the National Assembly on Tuesday.

He questioned the government's logic in providing former Haitian president Jean Bertrand Aristide asylum while Bennett's was refused.

"I want to appeal to you to find it in your hearts to support the case of Roy Bennett, his wife Heather and daughter Tracey.
The DA poses good arguments.
This fellow from Haiti was given the red carpet, despite the fact he swindled his own people.

Perhaps Mr Bennett should just have walked across the border like all the other millions of Zimbabweans have done already.

Political persecution is a known issue in Zimbabwe.

Hastur

It's a simple case of if you're not corrupt and cannot pay the required bribes then you're not welcome in SA

ajak

Expert Member
I bet if he was some terrorist raghead it would have been ok

Roy Bennett fears 'execution'
Johannesburg, South Africa
30 May 2006 10:15
Senior Zimbabwean opposition member Roy Bennett fears persecution from Zimbabwean state agents even while in South Africa waiting to appeal against his asylum rejection, he said in Johannesburg on Tuesday.

"Yes, I do fear from persecution from the Zimbabwean state agents in South Africa," he told a Foreign Correspondent Association meeting.

Last edited: