State withdraws one culpable homicide charge against Duduzane Zuma

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-07-12-duduzane-zuma-acquitted-of-culpable-homicide-after-porsche-crash/

Re - Was a civil claim instituted against him?
I doubt it considering that his dead victim was a woman who relied on a comrade taxi for her transport.

Re - Does he still live in the UAE?
Not important.

https://ewn.co.za/2014/12/11/Court-finds-Duduzane-Zumas-negligence-lead-to-accident
Although I live in Cape Town I am not aware that any part of Grayston Drive in Sandton is a 120km/h zone.
Usually, the law regards any driver who crashes into the back of another vehicle as being at fault.
Fault implies implies strict liability for damages to property, and opens the door for civil claims for financial compensation.

Culpable homicide is a criminal matter, and requires evidence of negligence. The burden of proof is much higher, since the sentence could involve jail time.

Emjay

Executive Member
The girls are just part of the countless victims who die at the hands of drunk and negligent drivers. Saw it all the time with RAF claims. School children are run over very often. This one just is high profile due to the person behind the wheel.

Does anyone have any idea what Porsche this guy was driving? It's not very easy to aquaplane a high performance car, unless being reckless or when not driving according to the conditions.

nightjar

Expert Member
Is the family even interested in pursuing a civil case against him?
A civil claim for financial compensation requires a lesser burden of proof than a criminal case but I would guess that the family do not know that and do not have the funds to initiate a claim. Without serious interest by caring people this is going to vanish and the cause of two needless deaths will not give it another thought.

thechamp

Honorary Master
A civil claim for financial compensation requires a lesser burden of proof than a criminal case but I would guess that the family do not know that and do not have the funds to initiate a claim. Without serious interest by caring people this is going to vanish and the cause of two needless deaths will not give it another thought.
You don't think Afriforum would have said something about it? I don't know but Afriforum was supporting them throughout this case.

nightjar

Expert Member
You don't think Afriforum would have said something about it? I don't know but Afriforum was supporting them throughout this case.
I think that the verdict stinks and would like to see Afriforum help with a civil case.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Right so the NPA initially decided not to prosecute.
The victims family got lawyer and wanted to prosecute.
Then all of the sudden the NPA go ahead.

Witness's were apparently poor but sorry I don't trust this because it's easy to fvck with a witnesses mind.

That is a busy road but only one vehicle aquaplanes yea right

R13...

Honorary Master
The girls are just part of the countless victims who die at the hands of drunk and negligent drivers. Saw it all the time with RAF claims. School children are run over very often. This one just is high profile due to the person behind the wheel.

Does anyone have any idea what Porsche this guy was driving? It's not very easy to aquaplane a high performance car, unless being reckless or when not driving according to the conditions.
He was driving a Porsche 911 and according to evidence given by Porsche themselves at the trial, the car is prone to aquaplaning even at low speeds. The one Porsche guy says testified that he's had his Porsche 911 aquaplane at 70km/h.

surface

Executive Member
I think that the verdict stinks and would like to see Afriforum help with a civil case.
Do we know if Afriforum can bring their own judges so that verdicts will be deemed fair?

Last edited:

TysonRoux

Executive Member
The POS spawn of Zupta won't get away with it in his new home country.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Wait, weren't Afriforum going to prosecute this, and the NPA stepped in to take it away from them after originally having no intention to prosecute?

I smell a tactic, given that the judge said the prosecution was pathetic...

Emjay

Executive Member
Right so the NPA initially decided not to prosecute.
The victims family got lawyer and wanted to prosecute.
Then all of the sudden the NPA go ahead.

Witness's were apparently poor but sorry I don't trust this because it's easy to fvck with a witnesses mind.

That is a busy road but only one vehicle aquaplanes yea right
I am very skeptical too. If it was raining so heavily, even 70km/ph on that road would be extremely reckless. I drive it every day, and the road drainage is pretty decent, and the roads are always busy. Even at ungodly hours.

The courts found the witness to be credible, so there is nothing else beyond that that can be done in the legal sense. Didn't Porsche confirm the claim as well though?

Jabulani22

Expert Member
She died a natural death .... by a porsche. I guess porsche accidents is now falling under acts of god.
Acts of God , do not by definition cover natural acts ,its a cover term used by those who chose to evade responsibility by blaming a god of unknown origin , for instance Thor may be blamed for storms while we are unsure of the origin of floods , is it neptune or posiedon maybe gaia ? who knows but its a god .
In this case maybe its the god of fast cars and reckless abandon .

schumi

Honorary Master
Heartbreak of Dube family endures, as Duduzane Zuma is found not guilty
"She's gone. There is nothing I can do about it," said Phumzile Dube's mother outside court on Friday after Duduzane Zuma was found not guilty of culpable homicide. "My daughter is dead and she is not coming back."
Adina Dube's daughter, a 30-year-old mother of one, was a passenger on the minibus taxi that was involved in a collision with Zuma's Porsche on the M1 near Grayston Drive in 2014.
The family had supported the bid by advocate Gerrie Nel to bring a private prosecution against Zuma, after the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) initially declined to press charges. The state last year decided to bring the case to trial.
The family told TimesLIVE in 2017 that they were raising Phumzile's daughter, despite financial constraints.
The Road Accident Fund has never paid them compensation for the accident‚ with only the taxi association‚ which owned the minibus taxi that Dube was travelling in at the time‚ paying them R5,000.
More at: https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-07-12-heartbreak-of-dube-family-endures-as-duduzane-zuma-is-found-not-guilty/