Stay in SA - Ramaphosa urges young white people

JayM

Expert Member
Should be enough to move a family. A lot more if you want to move to the UK. For that you'll need to add approximately R40,000 per person to pay towards NHS. That's upfront. It doesn't exempt you from the monthly contribution to the NHS that is based on and gets subtracted from your monthly salary.
Is that for the ancestral/work visa only? Or do UK passport holders also have to pay it too?

noxibox

Honorary Master
Is that for the ancestral/work visa only? Or do UK passport holders also have to pay it too?
It is based on the visa length, so if you don't need a visa to get into and work in the UK, then you shouldn't have to pay.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Is the R80-150k you are referring to the amount needed to fund the moving portion of emigrating, the paperwork/flights/shipping to get you and your belongings legally into a foreign country?
For one person I would say you need around R200k to emigrate to the UK. It does depend a lot on how long you will be out of work when landing, and whether you have a place to stay when you land (in other words, that won't cost you anything).

I started working one month after arriving, and stayed with family friends for 3 months, and I still needed around R200k. Granted, I did spend a lot of money on furnishing a house. So if you rent a furnished house, you could probably get away with R150k.

The visa itself is around R8k, national insurance will cost you R40k (once off), you need a TB test (R1800), the flight, and money to last you until you get your first paycheck (often 2 months). Then it is helpful to have enough money for a deposit on a place to stay, which is around 6 weeks rent. Note that it is 6 weeks rent assuming you have found a job already. If you haven't found a job, it would be much more - if they would even rent to you at all.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
How will BEE and AA work if there are no whites?
If you think about it, it gets less effective every year as more whites leave. It won't help your average Checkers employee, never has and never will. But then it wasn't designed to help people, it was designed to get votes.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Should be enough to move a family. A lot more if you want to move to the UK. For that you'll need to add approximately R40,000 per person to pay towards NHS. That's upfront. It doesn't exempt you from the monthly contribution to the NHS that is based on and gets subtracted from your monthly salary.
It's 400 pounds per person per year.

Urist

Expert Member
Sorry Cyril, Most of us don't fall for your empty pandering and identity politics the way your supporters do.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Is the R80-150k you are referring to the amount needed to fund the moving portion of emigrating, the paperwork/flights/shipping to get you and your belongings legally into a foreign country?
It really depends on your current situation. It's R80k if you get rid of everything and start 100% fresh.

Your basic UK cost is about R30k for flights.
400 pounds per person, per year for NHS
Visa's are about R11k per person
Then you need to have something like 900 pounds when you arrive and 600 pounds per dependent which you can use to support yourself for the first month.
You need to write your UKVI IELTS which is R3700 per adult
You also need to get rid of all your SA Debt, like cars, credit cards, bonds etc...

flippakitten

Expert Member
From what we've seen so far, the Ancestral is 1000 pounds for the application and then 49 pounds for the passport.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Sorry Cyril, Most of us don't fall for your empty pandering and identity politics the way your supporters do.
Yes, bring in the Cat, free of any corruption, a man you can trust.

air

Expert Member
Spot on, my family paid approx. ZAR160K upfront for a family of four for the 5 year period. You still then contribute monthly for NHS. If you leave before the 5 years, you do get a refund for the remainder if I remember correctly.

phaktza

Executive Member
Spot on, my family paid approx. ZAR160K upfront for a family of four for the 5 year period. You still then contribute monthly for NHS. If you leave before the 5 years, you do get a refund for the remainder if I remember correctly.
Considering, right now, medical aid would cost us R1-million for 5 years in SA, this is a bargain.

noxibox

Honorary Master
If you leave before the 5 years, you do get a refund for the remainder if I remember correctly.
There's no refund for leaving early. They'll give you a refund if they granted you a shorter visa than you paid for or your visa was refused.

Considering, right now, medical aid would cost us R1-million for 5 years in SA, this is a bargain.
For people on a top tier medical plan in South Africa it is a pretty good deal. It isn't for anyone else. Some people are going to be paying that £2000 upfront, then paying as much or more than they paid for medical aid in South Africa every month. You'd need to use a tax calculator to find out exactly how much you'd pay. Probably something around £400 per month. It's just something people need to take into account when deciding whether and where to move.

In other words in the region of R40,000 each upfront.

phaktza

Executive Member
There's no refund for leaving early. They'll give you a refund if they granted you a shorter visa than you paid for or your visa was refused.

For people on a top tier medical plan in South Africa it is a pretty good deal. It isn't for anyone else. Some people are going to be paying that £2000 upfront, then paying as much or more than they paid for medical aid in South Africa every month. You'd need to use a tax calculator to find out exactly how much you'd pay. Probably something around £400 per month. It's just something people need to take into account when deciding whether and where to move.

In other words in the region of R40,000 each upfront.
A bottom of the pile hospital plan with small savings is R2 000 a month. Over 5 years you're looking at approximately R140 000.

So NHS is still not looking that bad!

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
A bottom of the pile hospital plan with small savings is R2 000 a month. Over 5 years you're looking at approximately R140 000.

So NHS is still not looking that bad!
Is it safe to assume you are ANC?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I have NHS cover and private medical aid provided by my UK employer free of charge to me. Best of both worlds. I even have some dental cover.

Unfortunately you can see the effects of the Tory cuts on the NHS. I had to wait like 9 days to see a GP once. Other times I was able to see a GP the next day. That being said, you don't need a GP as often because companies won't require a doctor's note unless you are off work for more than a few days. Like 5 days in a row I think, not counting weekends.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I have NHS cover and private medical aid provided by my UK employer free of charge to me. Best of both worlds. I even have some dental cover.

Unfortunately you can see the effects of the Tory cuts on the NHS. I had to wait like 9 days to see a GP once. Other times I was able to see a GP the next day. That being said, you don't need a GP as often because companies won't require a doctor's note unless you are off work for more than a few days. Like 5 days in a row I think, not counting weekends.
That relates to a basic trust that your employees will actually only take time off when they are genuinely sick....

If you had that sort of leeway in this country there would be certain sectors that would have to double up workforce to cater for the people who are constantly taking 4/5 days off for the sniffles whilst they are on the piss.