Staysafe SMSs

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I don't need to be reminded 2-3 times a day of things I already know.
The networks are requited to send them by the government - elect a new one.

EDIT - funny enough I haven't received one on my iPhone since 30 April

vaakseun

I don't need to be reminded 2-3 times a day of things I already know.
What if they provided you with more useful information then? Eg. Send you an sms alert if you're nearing your 5km exercise radius limit or warn you that you only have 15 minutes to get home? Or perhaps send you an sms to assist when buying shoes or shirts so that you can be confident that you're not breaking the law?

I mean it's kinda hard keeping track of all these new laws they just keep on rollin' out. :unsure:

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I've stopped getting these messages on both my FNB and Telkom Sims recently

cpu.

Expert Member
Luckily on Huawei phones you can block keywords and numbers (prefixes etc). And various other blocking options.

genetic

Honorary Master
The networks are requited to send them by the government - elect a new one.

EDIT - funny enough I haven't received one on my iPhone since 30 April
My last message from government was April 30 too.

Screenshot_20200516-164232.jpg

R13...

Honorary Master
Just mute your SMS app. I mean who still receives useful information via SMS. I consider all SMS spam and have as such kept the things muted.

Pixual

Expert Member
Just mute your SMS app. I mean who still receives useful information via SMS. I consider all SMS spam and have as such kept the things muted.
I access a lot of stuff that requires 2-step authentication, which is done by SMS.

Oldfut

I think you are looking at it wrongly. I'm guessing that some needy ANC connected cadre is getting paid a few ZAR of taxpayers' money to provide this invaluable service and helping you keep safe. Tis the way of ZA. ANC style.

genetic

Honorary Master
I think you are looking at it wrongly. I'm guessing that some needy ANC connected cadre is getting paid a few ZAR of taxpayers' money to provide this invaluable service and helping you keep safe. Tis the way of ZA. ANC style.
Rubbish.

It's your cellular provider that sends these messages free of charge - a requirement by ICASA.

noxibox

Honorary Master
What if they provided you with more useful information then? Eg. Send you an sms alert if you're nearing your 5km exercise radius limit or warn you that you only have 15 minutes to get home? Or perhaps send you an sms to assist when buying shoes or shirts so that you can be confident that you're not breaking the law?
It would take the government a thousand years to develop something that sophisticated. But yes it would be handy to know I'm about to break the law so I don't accidentally fail to do so.

LOTR

I must just be lucky - only get these once per week - so far received 7, last one received 8 May