Std Bank to Nedbank now where???

MikyMouse

Hi All,

At the beginning of the year I had a standard bank Prestige acc which I closed and moved to Nedbank for a lower fee structure (R135pm for platinum bcz I'm a young professional) and the hope of better service. I'd been with std ever since my parents opened an account for me when I was much younger, moved up to prestige and to this day I never met my "banker". anyway rant over.

I'm now considering moving again, Nedbank is truly archaic in their online interface and apps etc. also thinking that there must be a better way out there.

So. I was considering FNB Platinum for R200pm, so I called their call centre and spoke to a consultant about a few things. She then told me that if I needed printed bank statements that were stamped (in hardcopy) I'd have to pay R15 per page! :wtf: so everytime I want to open an account or something I have to fork out R15 x 3months worth of pages!? over and above the increased R200pm, or am I missing something!?

Also the other thing that that gets me is the complexity of the whole eBucks thing and all it's tiers etc.

So maybe considering Capitec, but definitely not ABSA

Any advice / comments on FNB platinum?

clownshobbies

FNB for the win. Moved my business, personal, home loan, EVERYTHING to FNB after Nedbank shafted me to the tune of 70K.
Never looked back. Great service from them.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Read the eBucks thread. People are regularly receiving their monthly fee plus R1000+ if you play to their rules.

My Private banker is on the ball as well.

MikyMouse

Read the eBucks thread. People are regularly receiving their monthly fee plus R1000+ if you play to their rules.

My Private banker is on the ball as well.
That's impressive. Problem is that 90% of my monthly spend is done via DOs or EFTs and I'm guessing that I wouldn't earn on those transactions

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
MikyMouse, I'm with FNB Platinum and let me assure you that you'll only get charged R15/page if you're wasting time at the tellers. Every branch has a customer care rep at the front desk who'll print and stamp them for you for free (in my experience anyway).

Personally I'm happy with FNB, after also having been with Standard previously (in fact I still have a Standard account). Rapid service within the branches, and 95% of functions can be performed online through their slick online banking. Ebucks are also a thing, but personally I don't chase them so it's more like an unexpected little bonus from time to time.

Don't expect to be treated like a rockstar by a bank just because you're on their 'platinum' account, or whatever. These are just regular accounts to keep the masses happy, while the real rockstars are using the Private Wealth accounts (>R1 million/year income). Just be happy if you've got access to your cash, your bank doesn't freeze your account unexpectedly (a common issue I had with Standard Bank's horrible implementation of FICA), and there are a couple of bonuses.

MikyMouse

MikyMouse, I'm with FNB Platinum and let me assure you that you'll only get charged R15/page if you're wasting time at the tellers. Every branch has a customer care rep at the front desk who'll print and stamp them for you for free (in my experience anyway).

Personally I'm happy with FNB, after also having been with Standard previously (in fact I still have a Standard account). Rapid service within the branches, and 95% of functions can be performed online through their slick online banking. Ebucks are also a thing, but personally I don't chase them so it's more like an unexpected little bonus from time to time.

Don't expect to be treated like a rockstar by a bank just because you're on their 'platinum' account, or whatever. These are just regular accounts to keep the masses happy, while the real rockstars are using the Private Wealth accounts (>R1 million/year income). Just be happy if you've got access to your cash, your bank doesn't freeze your account unexpectedly (a common issue I had with Standard Bank's horrible implementation of FICA), and there are a couple of bonuses.
That seems a bit more reasonable. Even woth STD I remember them saying to me to print the statements at the ATM and then they'll stamp for me. Maybe I'll call the call centre tomorrow and get a different answer - sigh

I also don't go after points, I just used the eBucks calculator and I'd only be on RL1 so there doesn't seem to be much point.

What are the main differences between their Bundled and unlimited pricing options? Is there a way to opt out of eBucks and not pay for it?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
What are the main differences between their Bundled and unlimited pricing options? Is there a way to opt out of eBucks and not pay for it?
Yeah, I remember at one point EBucks were free on the Cheque accounts but you had to pay to have it linked to your Credit Card (which I cancelled), but now under their new pricing scheme I think it's free on both options.

Seriously don't over-think it ... just make the switch if you're that unhappy. Don't expect any bank to make you rich though, that comes from you ;)

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
FNB ,nothing like some free ebucks!

If you willing to put in some effort ,the ebucks systems gives great reward in the form of makro vouchers :p

MikyMouse

FNB ,nothing like some free ebucks!

If you willing to put in some effort ,the ebucks systems gives great reward in the form of makro vouchers :p
I'm sure that I'd earn ebucks but not enough to rely on / account for the bank fees. As I said above I'd probably remain on LR1 and with lots of effort maybe, just maybe LR2. But that said, I'm not switching for rewards, that just happens to be a by-product

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The printed statements are only required if applying for an Overdraft on new account.

So don't have an overdraft until you've been with thm a while and they have your full history

MikyMouse

The printed statements are only required if applying for an Overdraft on new account.

So don't have an overdraft until you've been with thm a while and they have your full history
I am more concerned about getting bank statements for other service providers like SARS, and don't want to be ripped off each time that I need this

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I am more concerned about getting bank statements for other service providers like SARS, and don't want to be ripped off each time that I need this
You mean the IT3b documents that they email to you for free? Seriously, the only time I ever need a printed document from the bank is when I'm need to RICA a SIM card or something. Haven't had to set foot in an FNB branch in a very very long time.

And as complex as eBucks are, you pretty much still earn them by just spending money. The complicated parts only matter if you really want to earn a bucket load of them. Me? I just use my credit card for purchasers and settle it every month.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Just use statements in softcopy. My bank doesn't have printed statements. There's no need for them.

Method

Executive Member
FNB is the best bank. Nedbank shouldn't even have been an option.

ABSA is a bit behind with their apps and offerings. That's why I moved away from ABSA.

eBucks is a big plus and the fact that you can buy tech for cheaper than retail and pay it per month at no interest.

FNB :love:

MikyMouse

FNB is the best bank. Nedbank shouldn't even have been an option.

ABSA is a bit behind with their apps and offerings. That's why I moved away from ABSA.

eBucks is a big plus and the fact that you can buy tech for cheaper than retail and pay it per month at no interest.

FNB :love:
The only reason I chose Nedbank was that their fees were good compared to STD, also at that time I didn't qualify for FNB platinum. For me ABSA wasn't a choice at all.

Liking the idea of FNB atm but having a dedicated banker is useful - how is the Premier Suite at FNB? Any comments? I called over the weekend and it seemed ok, nothing exciting. I see it as just another call centre or am I mistaken?

And in terms of going into the branch is there preferential treatment for Platinum / separate ques or same for everyone?

Drifter

Honorary Master
I moved from Std Bank to FNB at the beginning of the year. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Method

Executive Member
I moved from Std Bank to FNB at the beginning of the year. Biggest mistake I ever made.
Why? I was with Std bank back in 2007 to 2009. Worst experience. They are rude and over charge for everything.

I haven't had a single issue with FNB.