Steam Account Hijacked

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
My son's steam account has been hijacked.
At 5 pm on Sunday Evening he got an e-mail to say that his password and contact e-mail had been changed.
He immediately tried to log on to steam, but he was locked out and it told him "incorrect password".
His password was an average on consisting of six random letters and numbers.
Not a very strong one, but also not a very easy one.

So we went through the entire procedure that is listed on their website of creating a support account, then listing all his previous details and games, and then we had to take photos of his games and game keys to prove that the account was his.

But in two days we have not had a single response from Steam to any of this except the initial e-mail that confirmed we had logged a query.

Is there anything else we can do to get his account back?

froot

Honorary Master
It happened to a friend of mine last month. He got his account back in three days.... just contact them again.

F

Fudzy

Was the original mail from Steam or was it a phishing mail? I find it strange that it allows you to change e-mail and passwords without e-mail confirmation.

Dom1n8tr1x

Expert Member
Recall receiving an email a while back that said something about my Steam account and me having to do something by clicking a link in the email. I knew that it was a phising email so I just ignored it.

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Was the original mail from Steam or was it a phishing mail? I find it strange that it allows you to change e-mail and passwords without e-mail confirmation.

Ja, I checked the original emails and they were legit.
All I can think is that maybe somebody guessed his password or his security question.
At worst, it might be somebody he knows IRL.

I know there is a huge market for hacked accounts.

F

Fudzy

Ja, I checked the original emails and they were legit.
All I can think is that maybe somebody guessed his password or his security question.
At worst, it might be somebody he knows IRL.

I know there is a huge market for hacked accounts.

I would say the issue is with Steam if it allows e-mail address/password changes without confirmation. I've forwarded this thread to Steam's support channel.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Found this old article on the Web. This is basically what my email said.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Steam-Phishing-Campaign-Spotted-184984.shtml

There was no link for him to click on anything in the e-mail he got.
It was from Steam and was only notifying him that his password and e-mail had been changed.
In other words, it had already happened.

And then he went to his Steam Client and tried to log in, but was unable to do so.
I don't think that applies here.

K

kingrob

Found this old article on the Web. This is basically what my email said.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Steam-Phishing-Campaign-Spotted-184984.shtml

The writing of the email is so poor, I would just ignore it! :)

I've only got two games on Steam, Big Orange Box and Doom 3 BFG Edition.

And both I'm done with. So whoever wants to hack it, go for it. :p

*But please leave my Battle.Net account alone, as my Starcraft II : Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm keys are on there. :eek:

Albereth

Honorary Master
There was no link for him to click on anything in the e-mail he got.
It was from Steam and was only notifying him that his password and e-mail had been changed.
In other words, it had already happened.

And then he went to his Steam Client and tried to log in, but was unable to do so.
I don't think that applies here.

How is that possible? If you log onto Steam from another computer you are sent an email that you have to respond to in order to activate Steam on that new computer.

andeshan

How is that possible? If you log onto Steam from another computer you are sent an email that you have to respond to in order to activate Steam on that new computer.

This is true.

Possibly the mail account was "hacked".

StoneCold

Expert Member

You might want to mention that this feature is called Steam Guard. I doubt that Steam Guard was enabled for his account, otherwise he would've received an email with an authentication code when the hacker tried to change the password of his account.

OP, have a look over here for more information: http://store.steampowered.com/news/5123/

F

Fudzy

Hypothetically, what's the worst a person do with your account? Order games and then gift them on your behalf? There would be quite a solid paper trail for that wouldn't there?

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Combine this with 2-step verification on your gmail account and you automatically add another layer of security to all your accounts linked to said email account! :D

Was gonna post that, then thought "Naa if you do not have 2 step yet your an idiot that deserve to be hacked.... or just lazy" :D

Hypothetically, what's the worst a person do with your account? Order games and then gift them on your behalf? There would be quite a solid paper trail for that wouldn't there?

Well I guess your Steam is not loaded?

On my Steam account I have loads of Items found in game, like DOTA gear and so on, not to even mention the loss of gaming time while you wait to get your account back.

Last edited:
F

Fudzy

If it is a GMail account you can check the access logs at the bottom right hand corner is a link called Details.