Steenhuisen says Zille's tweets on Apartheid are not truthful

newjourno

Expert Member
Either that or drunk tweets.
I actually don't think she is senile or anything. She is trying to win back the voters they lost and from the DA's recent actions, they are evidently trying to get that lost 1.5% odd of their vote from the VF+ back. Whether they can actually win back those supporters is questionable as is her approach.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
In my view, Zille didn't convey it in a good manner,

she could have made comparisons, but yes, we are trending deeply again into racial exclusivity and it is backed by the courts and by the public interest. You don't say, "Lol, there are more racist laws today than there were under apartheid". Enhanced RET is what it is going to be.

Sollie

Executive Member
Deflection out in full force.
Agreed. Also interesting what JS said, how it's framed. But then again I guess that's why Mondli Makhanya and News24 is being taken to the press ombudsman (again).

Breaking news? Now matter, we fix it ...

surface

Executive Member
I actually don't think she is senile or anything. She is trying to win back the voters they lost and from the DA's recent actions, they are evidently trying to get that lost 1.5% odd of their vote from the VF+ back. Whether they can actually win back those supporters is questionable as is her approach.
Futile attempt really. Once you get enthralled by the leadership of Peter Marais, there is no going back.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
In my view, Zille didn't convey it in a good manner,

she could have made comparisons, but yes, we are trending deeply again into racial exclusivity and it is backed by the courts and by the public interest. You don't say, "Lol, there are more racist laws today than there were under apartheid". Enhanced RET is what it is going to be.
The truth is the truth, no matter how you put it.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Well done JS (really) but you just lost many mybb voters.
He also said,

He said the country's Constitution guaranteed everyone's place and contribution, meaning all were equal before the law.

Steenhuisen, however, also defended Zille and blamed the government for "increasingly and deliberately driving wedges between South Africans".

"Trading in racial divisiveness and making some South Africans feel as though they don't belong - this is totally wrong. And a law, which excludes on the basis of race, is inherently wrong," said Steenhuisen.

"The high court judgment, which says it is okay for a government to choose who it helps in a time of crisis on the basis of race, is abhorrent. It must be taken on appeal, and we will do that," he added.
and it isn't a law which excludes, it is laws and codes which must be adhered by. When one law allows, another law disallows. Our laws are puzzles, and every entity and or individual must be puzzled in to be compliant.

Generally, I don't want the DA to appeal the case which got Zille's panties up in a twist because that outcome may slice either way and have a chance at setting a dangerous precedent. No party which took this matter to the court had any success, and it is time that the DA also give up. Things are changing.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The truth is the truth, no matter how you put it.
We may have more 'racist' laws, but we don't have any segregation laws today. We also don't have any explicit exclusion laws, but we do have race-based target policies and some disadvantaged based programs do exclude race. Reparations, redress, etc, have all spurred on policies to achieve missions. Do note that we do have basic rights where exclusion has transgressed, but all rights should be equally valued.

Our society has gone broke with the 'us' vs 'them' ideas and ideals.

access

Honorary Master
why not show us the comparison

He said the country's Constitution guaranteed everyone's place and contribution, meaning all were equal before the law.
thats a lie cause...

Constitutional law experts, and a Nelson Mandela Foundation researcher, however, said apartheid legislation cannot be compared to democratic-era legislation as the former was designed to exclude, exploit and oppress the majority.
that is now used against minorities.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Unfortunately, she is using populism which is not helping the DA's course right now.
Zille is wrong, her engagement with the people was wrong. I have said it many times now, Zille should use the appropriate open forum to debate her arguments in public. Invite people to that forum and have this discussion. Journalists can report on it all day long.

I have an idea that Zille doesn't want to lose a debate, she already struggled in a debate with Madonsela. She may have called it productive, but she was on the back foot. It is easier for Zille to fire and forget on Twitter than to engage with a body of language.

Things are changing in South Africa, we are reaching a point where negotiation is key for success than to relinquish ourselves into couch commentating.

abzo

forum angel
I’m pretty sure someone here just yesterday said that some of the laws now make apartheid looks like a gentlemen’s club.