Stellenbosch - Idas Valley - RAIN for a home user ? (No fibre in area)

kemosabe

Hi folks,

Advice solicited and appreciated !

I am helping a friend look for Internet Connectivity Options
  • they are moving to Idas Valley in Stellenbosch at the end of the month
  • they do not want ADSL or any kind of Telkom Fixed Line
  • fibre is not provided by any service provider in the area at present
    • ( but it may be on the medium term horizon)
They are home users
  • the usual browsing
  • some streaming of Netflix
  • maybe some gaming by their 5 year old
I am thinking of suggesting the Uncapped Rain R 479

Comments ?

A big pro that I can see is the month-by-month
  • no contract to tie them in
  • no 'free' modem at a ridiculous built in hidden cost
  • they can easily change
    • if performance is swak in their area/location
    • they need a different package
    • they need another supplier
    • fibre becomes available
And I am suggesting buying a LTE Router from Takealot

Any recommendations for a value-for-money device which works well with Rain ?

Thanks guys

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Hi folks,

Advice solicited and appreciated !

I am helping a friend look for Internet Connectivity Options
  • they are moving to Idas Valley in Stellenbosch at the end of the month
  • they do not want ADSL or any kind of Telkom Fixed Line
  • fibre is not provided by anyservice provider in the area at present
    • ( but it may be on the medium term horizon)
They are home users
  • the usual browsing
  • some streaming of Netflix
  • maybe some gaming by their 5 year old
I am thinking of suggesting the Uncapped Rain R 479

Comments ?

A big pro that I can see is the month-by-month
  • no contract to tie them in
  • no 'free' modem at a ridiculous built in hidden cost
  • they can easily change
    • if performance is swak in their area/location
    • they need a different package
    • they need another supplier
    • fibre becomes available
And I am suggesting buying a LTE Router from Takealot

Any recommendations for a value-for-money device which works well with Rain ?

Thanks guys
Google reviews on RAIN and also do a search on this platform...the horror stories should make you re-consider and perhaps look at a WISP in that area. There's quite a few...

Goosfrabba

Rain is very hit and miss. I am currently on the R479 package and week it is awesome, the next rubbish. I am convinced that they are overly shaping the connection and plan on getting another sim on the R250 package to test my theory.

What is their budget and how much data would they likely use in a month?

kemosabe

Google reviews on RAIN and also do a search on this platform...the horror stories should make you re-consider and perhaps look at a WISP in that area. There's quite a few...
Thanks for the quick response.

Yes .. I did a little bit of checking around ... and there seem to be user experiences that range from Good to Not Bad through Ugly to Fugly.

I was thinking that the bail out anytime month-to-month was an emergency parachute if truly was a kak experience.

perhaps look at a WISP in that area
Thanks !

That I shall do.

Cheers

kemosabe

Rain is very hit and miss. I am currently on the R479 package and week it is awesome, the next rubbish. I am convinced that they are overly shaping the connection and plan on getting another sim on the R250 package to test my theory.
What is their budget and how much data would they likely use in a month?
They were on this at their last address:

R568 for Afrihost ADSL
R250 for Telkom
R 818 total

So any price point better than that would be a winner.

Not sure about total Data.
They were on a (slow speed) uncapped ... so they are not sure of their average monthly usage.

jbroo

Before you even ask more, check if their new address has coverage. You can do this on the rain website. If it does, and it is a rural or less densely populated area, chances are the tower(s) in the area may not be oversubscribed and your friend will received a decent service. As far as what your friend needs, good rain coverage will do it - not always high speed but it can di general internet, a few streams and some non-realtime gaming (not all at once).

The main thing to find out is if their new address has coverage. If it's super rural, it probably won't.

piranha786

Expert Member
Idas Valley, especially the upper part has a lot of wifi interference. Many people use snowball. I used Cape connect for some time now. They will really need to test at the exact address. Some places FNB work amazing, vodacom ok. Rain just just get a signal. A couple of years back Vodacom was great, but now I just manage 3-5 mbps.

"D"

Expert Member
So any price point better than that would be a winner
Nowadays, even 20 Mbps VDSL is cheaper than R818 per month. (20 Mbps Downlink / 5 Mbps Uplink)

If they were going to sign up for Fibre, is this not comparable? As previous ADSL users, have they even heard of VDSL?

But check for coverage first, of course.

As for LTE routers, if they invest in one that supports Carrier Aggregation, they will have more options available between providers.

kemosabe

Before you even ask more, check if their new address has coverage.
<snip>
The main thing to find out is if their new address has coverage. If it's super rural, it probably won't.
Thanks.

They checked and do not show up on the coverage map.
It is a new street which does not appear on Google Maps as yet, but the closest road that is on the Map shows no coverage.

So Rain is a no-go.

kemosabe

Idas Valley, especially the upper part has a lot of wifi interference. Many people use snowball. I used Cape connect for some time now. They will really need to test at the exact address. Some places FNB work amazing, vodacom ok. Rain just just get a signal. A couple of years back Vodacom was great, but now I just manage 3-5 mbps.
Thanks for this ... helpful.

Rain is a no-go coverage wise ... so that one is off the table.

kemosabe

Nowadays, even 20 Mbps VDSL is cheaper than R818 per month. (20 Mbps Downlink / 5 Mbps Uplink)

If they were going to sign up for Fibre, is this not comparable? As previous ADSL users, have they even heard of VDSL?

But check for coverage first, of course.

As for LTE routers, if they invest in one that supports Carrier Aggregation, they will have more options available between providers.

Am I correct in assuming that VDSL needs a copper line ?

https://help.afrihost.com/topic/adsl-and-vdsl/the-difference-between-adsl-and-vdsl
Both ADSL and VDSL use existing copper cabling to your home.
And am I correct in assuming that VDSL needs Telkom ?

Which, to my mind, would be like volunteering for a nasty rash that never goes away.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Quite happy to listen to the voices of experience.

IguBu

Your friends just seem to want what every does - reliable fast uncapped internet for less than R800 PM - which is that utopia only achievable with fibre. I see rain is no go according to coverage map? I recently tested the R250 service - worked great - got around 20Mbps, vpn worked fine, some "downloads" required a vpn service to run at full speed though - but you have no access between 18:00-23:00 (you can set allocations during the time - but be prepared to pay R50/Gig) - perfect for work solution, but not for streaming during peak hours, unless you can live with no www during those times (spend some more family time and schedule some downloads worked for us).

The R479 is throttled to 10Mbps - so more than 1 netflix stream might have been a problem - the R250 service had no issues on speed.

You can test it free for 7 days, pickup a simcard for free at most Clicks stores (pargo counter) - and rica online in 5 minutes. I would not read too much into the maps - best is just to test - and it's month to month. You will need a good lte router though, unless you test in a mobile phone that supports all the required bands.

Only non fixed line option that really will give you speed is something like Vodacom (currently a 100/100GB for R499 pm)- but long contract, and data allocation is not enough if you stream a lot. There are some WISPS - snow ball etc think now called herotel, but all sorts of FUP and upfront install costs.

kemosabe

Thanks @IguBu

So here's where I stand at the moment:

Considering either of these:

Cape Connect:
https://cape-connect.com/wispprice.html
  • Uncapped 5Mb
  • R 350 /m
  • +R 90 line rental

• Uncapped 10Mb
  • R 550 /m
  • +R 90 line rental
Herotell / Snowball:
https://www.herotel.com/how-much-detail/
  • 4Mbps
  • HERO WIRELESS SILVER
  • ONLY R599 P/M
Cape Connect look better for pricing.

I've sent an enquiry to both of them to find out the fine print and actual costs including installation.

- - -

Despite my reservations about Telkom, I have just seen that they are pulling their pants down with some radical discounts before June 30 in an attempt to win some more market share.

https://telkomlte-deals.co.za/

120 GB
Per Month
R 469PM X 24
  • 60GB Anytime Data
  • 60GB Night Surfer Data
  • Free Wifi Router
  • Free Delivery
This one is way better than:
50GB + 50GB @ R 899 from Vodacom.
60GB + 60GB @ R 1,069 from MtN.

Uncapped
24 Hrs
R 899PM X 24
  • Uncapped LTE Broadband 24/7
  • Voice service with 300 on-net voice minutes included
  • Free Wifi Router
  • Free Delivery
So I think that is the shortlist of 3 Options for now.

jbroo

And am I correct in assuming that VDSL needs Telkom ?
Yes and no. With their new "Naked ADSL" or "PureDSL" as Afrihost calls it, there is no more line rental for a voice line. So yes, you use the Telkom copper infrastucture, but I believe they allow the ISP to manage this entirely, aka, no more Telkom bill.

If there was no DSL at the address before, or the copper was "stolen", you're out of luck. They are not rolling out new copper.

kemosabe

Yes and no. With their new "Naked ADSL" or "PureDSL" as Afrihost calls it, there is no more line rental for a voice line. So yes, you use the Telkom copper infrastucture, but I believe they allow the ISP to manage this entirely, aka, no more Telkom bill.
Cheers mate.

That rings somewhat of a bell from my Afrihost scouting earlier.

I'll do one last check on the in the morning.

It's end of day beer time now for me.

Cheers to all those who have offered advice.

kemosabe

If there was no DSL at the address before, or the copper was "stolen", you're out of luck. They are not rolling out new copper.
Map Check:
https://www.afrihost.com/dsl/

You do not have Pure DSL coverage

kemosabe

So my final advice to my mate this morning was:

Apply online to
- Herotel ( ex Snowball )
- Mytel ( Telkom Deal Agent )

... up the point where the Sales Person contacts you.

Tell each Sale Person that:
- it is a shootout between those two options and suppliers
- and see who can convince you of why they are the better choice.

Take names of the sales person.
Make a summary record.

And then to make their own decision from there.

So a final thanks to all.

Have lekker Friday