Stellenbosch - Idas Valley - RAIN for a home user ? (No fibre in area)

Scratchigo

Hi, apologies for replying to an oldish post. I live in Idas Valley. Rain does work and did well way before the lockdown. Since most people are forced to stay at home, the tower is getting congested. Correct me if I'm wrong but afaik rain does not have their own towers and roams on vodacom towers? Vodacom is just as k@k now. Used to get over 20mb now a measly 2mb. With rain used to get 10mb but also +-2mb. Herotel/Snowball is daylight robbery for that k@k speeds they offering. I'll stay far away from them. Their customer base is people that dont know jack about price vs what they are getting. I dont foresee any fibre in our community at any time. I hear that Herotel/Snowball runs the monopoly in our area and no other providers can setup shop there. Would have been nice if Cell C could offer fibre as I'm less than a kilometer away from their tower. Used to get 40-60mb speeds. I just want decent internet ffs. Why must we still struggle in this day and age with kak internet in this day and age?

piranha786

Expert Member
Hi, apologies for replying to an oldish post. I live in Idas Valley. Rain does work and did well way before the lockdown. Since most people are forced to stay at home, the tower is getting congested. Correct me if I'm wrong but afaik rain does not have their own towers and roams on vodacom towers? Vodacom is just as k@k now. Used to get over 20mb now a measly 2mb. With rain used to get 10mb but also +-2mb. Herotel/Snowball is daylight robbery for that k@k speeds they offering. I'll stay far away from them. Their customer base is people that dont know jack about price vs what they are getting. I dont foresee any fibre in our community at any time. I hear that Herotel/Snowball runs the monopoly in our area and no other providers can setup shop there. Would have been nice if Cell C could offer fibre as I'm less than a kilometer away from their tower. Used to get 40-60mb speeds. I just want decent internet ffs. Why must we still struggle in this day and age with kak internet in this day and age?
Frogfoot has started to install fibre, hopefully in the next year or 2 Idas valley will have fibre.