Ster-Kinekor and Nu Metro movie ticket prices in South Africa - 2014 vs 2021

supersunbird

Honorary Master
From what I can see most cinemas are only open on the weekend. I want my Wednesday cheaper movies back Numetro, or else you won't be seeing me.

Vorastra

Executive Member
That's why I go on "Budget Tuesdays" at CineCentre.

2D is R40.
3D is R50.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Hmm. Do I want Netflix for a month or do I want to watch one movie one time by myself?

Hmmmmm....
this,

analog technology in a digital world, like DVD/VHS rental

although TBH, maybe for the really big releases, like Avengers Endgame, then it makes sense,
as that's where the profit is to be made. as people would pay for an "event"

but otherwise, for regular movies, why bother?,

just wait for it to be released on your favorite streaming piracy site,
and enjoy anywhere you like.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Hmm. Do I want Netflix for a month or do I want to watch one movie one time by myself?

Hmmmmm....
Especially since non-theatrical versions of movies release very quickly these last few years. They seem to come out 2-3 months after theatrical release.

I swear it used to be like 6 months.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Especially since non-theatrical versions of movies release very quickly these last few years. They seem to come out 2-3 months after theatrical release.

I swear it used to be like 6 months.
I can't think of anything worth watching on big screen past 2019. The year movies died.

mojoman

Expert Member
Netflix...Showmax...You Tube premium...Pirate bay....
Cheaper data packages....
Why bother going....

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I'm okay with the ticket prices. It is the food and drinks that murder your wallet.

R100 on a ticket and about the same price for watered down coke, popcorn and a chocolate/sweets.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Haven't been to the cinema in ten years. They are a bunch of crooks with their sky high cool drink and popcorn prices.
pft amateur

Lol try 2003............Watched freddy vs jason at nu metro and 2001 13th ghosts at ster-kinekor.....

Nuro

Expert Member
Yeah, try taking a family of 4 for a movie and snacks over the weekend, easily R600.
With 4K and a decent surround setup at home, why bother. Our family likes movies, new and old, so even with the cost of the equipment, it quickly pays for itself.

killerbyte

Expert Member
These days the only movies that get me into the cinema are Marvel (my addiction). Didn't go to watch Black Widow because I was in hospital.
But I won't go for other movies and it means I generally only go to the cinema once or twice a year.

RunningFromFat

Expert Member
Not worth watching movies anymore with risks of teenagers ruining the experience. The price is also rather ridiculous.