Ster-Kinekor and Nu Metro movie ticket prices in South Africa - 2014 vs 2021

Corelli

Expert Member
Well thank you Disney+ because ironically now the pirated movies are available about 3 -4 months in full hd before they are even launched here. Just saying. A service like Disney+ who does marvel etc makes sense.

Even just watching movies on Netflix. I think the cinema is going to become a relic of the past. Get yourself a decent 75" tv and a sound system say yamaha dts hd for R7k, and you're sorted for life.

Oh R90 for a combo of R10 popcorn and R10 coke. Yip I will rather buy that at home.

I guess if you're a hormonal kid, or an older guy wanting to make out with a young gf and the cinema is cheaper then yip you will just have to pay....cause hotels are more pricey and have a lot more questions asked.

Mekon

Expert Member
7 years ago is the last time I went to a cinema. Took my son and 2 of his friends for his 10th birthday. Cost a smidge over R500 for 4 tickets including slushies and popcorn. And then Spur afterwards as well which was an additional R400. I'm glad my kids are over this sort of thing now.

animal531

Expert Member
Nevermind 7 years ago. IMAX cost about R120 just 2-3 years ago before Covid.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Took my daughter a few months ago so that she can have her first "cinema" experience. After almost R300 (including snacks), it will be her last as well.

rvZA

Executive Member
The last movie I watched in a Cine was F&F 8 in a 4DX cine. It was way too expensive for the movie tickets and will not even be mentioning the snacks and drinks they sell. If I remember, a family of 5 worked out over R1,200 for this event.

Will never be supporting any Cine again. I will rather invest in a R50k TV and setting up a proper audio system in my living room, also an Internet connection to simply grab what I need on the High Seas where there is no provider offering a movie in realtime when it release abroad. Will work out much cheaper in the long run.

Lupus

Honorary Master
this,

analog technology in a digital world, like DVD/VHS rental

although TBH, maybe for the really big releases, like Avengers Endgame, then it makes sense,
as that's where the profit is to be made. as people would pay for an "event"

but otherwise, for regular movies, why bother?,

just wait for it to be released on your favorite streaming piracy site,
and enjoy anywhere you like.
What?? They've not been analogue since the late 2000s.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Went to watch the Jungle Cruise recently, was about R300 for myself and my son, but it was a VIP

Michiel_Conradie

76% increase isn't the real increase. It is only roughly a 10% increase per year, the same you would pay on your rent.

rvZA

Executive Member
76% increase isn't the real increase. It is only roughly a 10% increase per year, the same you would pay on your rent.

Which makes it even more unattractive. Although 10% increase in rent is already bad, we all need a place to stay, not so much spending time in a cinema.

eg2505

Honorary Master
What?? They've not been analogue since the late 2000s.
Analogue in the sense of its a old way of watching movies,
I know the actual projector and screening equipment is Digital (what isnt) , I know they aren't Big reels of films anymore.
there are hard drives and digital uplinks.

point I was trying to make is going to the cinema, with its high prices and expensive snacks,
is a old way of doing things, we have better ways of doing things,
streaming is the future

Lupus

Honorary Master
Analogue in the sense of its a old way of watching movies,
I know the actual projector and screening equipment is Digital (what isnt) , I know they aren't Big reels of films anymore.
there are hard drives and digital uplinks.

point I was trying to make is going to the cinema, with its high prices and expensive snacks,
is a old way of doing things, we have better ways of doing things,
streaming is the future
To be honest streaming is killing a lot of things that are better. I mean at home we don't have massive screens, we don't have massive sound, a decent cinema is an experience, even with the expensive popcorn and coke. The cinema in Northgate a private one had a nice revamp and it's VIP seats are really comfy, sure as I said it was about R300 for my son and I, but it was something we do every once in awhile.
Streaming is also killing hard media, but what people seem to forget is that once it's off streaming it's damn hard to get that show/movie you like back, also the quality of streaming even at 4k with dolby Atmos isn't as good as a 4k Blu-ray.
But that's also the fault of Sony having high costs on the media I guess.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
To be honest streaming is killing a lot of things that are better. I mean at home we don't have massive screens, we don't have massive sound, a decent cinema is an experience, even with the expensive popcorn and coke.
In an ideal world yes. In the real world, it's the annoyances of cellphone lights, chattering, people constantly going to the bathroom and of course applauding after a movie.

That doesn't make the big screen worth it. As for the sound, you can get decent home systems that pack an equivalent, if not bigger, punch given the smaller staging area...

Lupus

Honorary Master
In an ideal world yes. In the real world, it's the annoyances of cellphone lights, chattering, people constantly going to the bathroom and of course applauding after a movie.

That doesn't make the big screen worth it. As for the sound, you can get decent home systems that pack an equivalent, if not bigger, punch given the smaller staging area...
People applauding after a movie? When last did you go to the movies, did it have curtains and a stage? Cause I hate to break it to you that's not a movie :p.
Even when I went in the 2000s when cinemas could get packed for big name movies I barely saw people getting up to go to the loo, chattering and cellphones normally stop when the movie starts as well.
I don't know hey it's still an experience to me and I enjoy it, the last cinema I went to had better seats then I have at home and it was deadly quiet. The one good trick is go on a Sunday morning if you want to watch a movie, you'll have the place to yourself. Or PC (Post-Covid) go during the week, Wednesday works.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
People applauding after a movie? When last did you go to the movies, did it have curtains and a stage? Cause I hate to break it to you that's not a movie :p.
I dunno man, ask the retards who do it. It's like they want the actors to acknowledge it through the screens...