Ster-Kinekor launches movie subscription club

KingMikel

I was thinking of Ster Kinekor the other day and how the digital age has likely impacted their revenue streams, people very rarely buy physical copies of games and movies anymore which SK distribute. This seems like a potentially viable way for them to secure guaranteed revenue but what impact will it have on the income that regular moviegoers bring? I doubt its enough to plug the hole that the above mentioned income stream has created.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
R350 per month for unlimited movies, if you watch lots of movies is actually pretty damn good value.

Even the R250 per month is not TOO bad either if you factor in the 3D movie cost.

I'm vaguely impressed Ster Kinekor.....

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Long overdue for SK to do this, especially considering how empty their cinemas are most of the time.

Now available at Eastgate, Watercrest and I'Langa? Does that mean only those 3 cinemas out of 55 can enjoy this subscription service? The wording seems to clearly indicate only those cinemas qualify, but offering the subscription to only 5% of their cinemas seems too retarded to be true.

20% off only the medium combo is moronic. At the very least make it 20% off the large combos as well if it isn't going to cover individual popcorn and drinks. 20% off all combos seems like a simple approach to take.

The pricing sucks. Sorry SK but this service will be dead on arrival if you're going to be so stupid about it. The basic service is slightly cheaper than 3 tickets. Do your executives not have access to Google to see how similar services work overseas? I'll break it down for you:

- Cinema subscription services are to create an income you otherwise would not have at all. The seats would otherwise be empty.
- Usually subscription customers cannot use their sub to see shows that would typically be full. So pre-release screenings, release day evening shows, Friday and Saturday nights etc.
- The cost is generally comparable to a Netflix subscription. $15-20pm basically. So let's say R200-300 for SA.

If you'd like to actually make a proper attempt at this revenue stream, make it so:
- R199pm for 4 movies a month
- R299 for unlimited movies a month
- 20% off all combos
- Excluded shows: pre-releases, release days, Friday night, Saturday night
- Available at all SK cinemas nationwide

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Quite tempted, as I watch at least 1 movie per month at SK.. With this sub, We will be able to go watch even more stuff

The_MAC

Executive Member
Those are probably their most under used cinemas.

They will not expand this to the busy ones unless this actively brings in more revenue

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Is still for just one person.
They need to look at a "family package". The more seats they fill, the more popcorn they will sell.
What sort of family package would you setup though?

It gets problematic from a cost point of view very quickly when you're talking 4 or more tickets for each showing on a subscription.

Goosfrabba

At face value, seems like a good offer by SK. Of course, the T&C's could temper that somewhat.

How many movies are played without barely a soul watching? Costs them nothing to get your bum in the seat, though will profit through the popcorn you buy

The_MAC

Executive Member
At face value, seems like a good offer by SK. Of course, the T&C's could temper that somewhat.

How many movies are played without barely a soul watching? Costs them nothing to get your bum in the seat, though will profit through the popcorn you buy
Empty seats are during off-peak when everyone is at work, so not easy to sell that.

Kids packages make sense, like the vitality for kids campaign, cause kids go on holiday

R4ziel

Expert Member
R350 per month for unlimited movies, if you watch lots of movies is actually pretty damn good value.

Even the R250 per month is not TOO bad either if you factor in the 3D movie cost.

I'm vaguely impressed Ster Kinekor.....
If they did the same and I could steam the latest movies in 1080p, I would sign up for this in a heartbeat

Lupus

Honorary Master
Only at these cinemas though
  • Available at Eastgate Shopping Centre, Watercrest Mall, and I’Langa Mall.
So not really an overall Ster Kinekor thing? Unless those are trials?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If they did the same and I could steam the latest movies in 1080p, I would sign up for this in a heartbeat
Yeah, that is not likely to happen, ever....

You're talking a completely different business model and infrastructure setup for Ster Kinekor, and licensing model (which I'm pretty damn sure they don't pay for, so increased costs as well)

SilverCode

Are there even 4 movies released a month that are worth watching? If you could buy 2 tickets for a single session it would be reasonable since you and your partner or friend can go watch a movie together every 2nd week.

R4ziel

Expert Member
Yeah, that is not likely to happen, ever....

You're talking a completely different business model and infrastructure setup for Ster Kinekor, and licensing model (which I'm pretty damn sure they don't pay for, so increased costs as well)
I know, but it would be brilliant if I could watch all the latest movies in full quality without issues, that would definitely be worth a subscription

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Are there even 4 movies released a month that are worth watching? If you could buy 2 tickets for a single session it would be reasonable since you and your partner or friend can go watch a movie together every 2nd week.
The FanClub option works for that..

You can use all 4 tickets at once.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Once again only at 3 Ster-Kinekors
  • Available at Eastgate Shopping Centre, Watercrest Mall, and I’Langa Mall.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
They have or had that overseas, iirc you have to have a dedicated movie room with certain specifications, buy a device for something like $30k and then you can watch movies the same day as in the cinema for $500 per movie.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I know, but it would be brilliant if I could watch all the latest movies in full quality without issues, that would definitely be worth a subscription
What you're talking about briefly existed as Prima Cinema. The installation cost $35,000 and each film cost $500 to stream. If you even bumped the equipment too hard the security features would disable it, and a rep would have to swing by again to re-authorise your machine.

The costs of showing new cinema releases at home are totally prohibitive. I think I read years ago that Prima is done for as not even the super wealthy were interested enough.