Ster-Kinekor launches movie subscription club

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I'm really trying to like this but just can't.

First of all very limited cinemas covered.

Secondly the sub is aimed at movie goers that frequent so those people usually like to watch new releases and probably in IMAX if available so now that it is not covered it won't really appeal to anyone.

Make the sub 1 movie per day priced at R300 and include at least IMAX or the option of discounted prestige. A lot of people will join and you get a fixed income and price will be subsidized by people not using the sub very often but keep paying monthly.
AMC in the US is 3 movies per week, no restrictions on IMAX etc, 10% off of all snacks and a priority line for something around $20 a month.

cavedog

Honorary Master
AMC in the US is 3 movies per week, no restrictions on IMAX etc, 10% off of all snacks and a priority line for something around $20 a month.
Yeah exactly. Ster kinekor just implemented this wrong. They could have even went as far as making an off peak plan to fill seats when the cinemas are relatively quiet.

Like tonight. IMAX mall of africa with a massive amount of seats will not even reach half capacity for the late shows like 10pm or so.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
They scared everyone away by increasing prices and now they are begging to get people back to the movie house.
Also able to watch in the comfort of home without the idiots in the movie house on their cell phones most of the time.

@ R349 a month times 2.... i might as well get DSTV .... I mean netflix + Data. Besides getting to the movies that many times in a month wont leave time for anything else...

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
This is squarely aimed at those who don't know what NetFlix is, and how cheap and easy it is to make top notch Popcorn at home.

UNLIMITED!!!!!!!!!

only 5 a day.

Um That's not unlimited, don't say something is unlimited and then say only so many a day. False Advertising

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
UNLIMITED!!!!!!!!!

only 5 a day.

Um That's not unlimited, don't say something is unlimited and then say only so many a day. False Advertising
Well since they only have at most 6 showings a day, its near as damnit unlimited as you can get unless you have fsck all life, or need to sleep or shyte or anything.

SilverCode

The FanClub option works for that..

You can use all 4 tickets at once.
Ah, I missed that. I thought they were both a single ticket per session deal. In that case I would consider signing up ... if it were available anywhere near me (the unlimited one is).

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well since they only have at most 6 showings a day, its near as damnit unlimited as you can get unless you have fsck all life, or need to sleep or shyte or anything.
I've done 4 movies in one day, I dropped my car off for a service at Ford and took a walk to the closest cinema at the time. After 4 movies you feel like crap, so yeah pushing 5 or 6 would be madness.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I've done 4 movies in one day, I dropped my car off for a service at Ford and took a walk to the closest cinema at the time. After 4 movies you feel like crap, so yeah pushing 5 or 6 would be madness.
I think I could MAYBE do 3 movies before being totally buggered and needing a break....

Lupus

Honorary Master
I think I could MAYBE do 3 movies before being totally buggered and needing a break....
I was going to stop at 3 but Ford phoned and said they needed another 2 hours, so I went to another movie, the cinema actually gave that one on the house with a popcorn and coke. The entire day though the cinema was empty, just me and the staff.

jax_maxit

This is a bit too late for me. The only movies I watched at SK/Nu Metro in recent years were Marvel releases. After Avengers Endgame, you won't see me in cinemas any time soon. I prefer the atmosphere at home, but enjoy the 3D movies (depth) and sound system they provide.
I hate packed cinemas because of the other people. Chewing, talking, on their phones, walking to the loo, overpriced popcorn and drinks.
That's why 99% of all movies I watch are at the comfort of my own home.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
its a no from me.. could have been a family package ie 2 adults and 2 kids, and watch maybe 2 or 3 movies anytime during the month..

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Which is the majority I presume. Idea is to create an incentive to change that.
I dunno, I have to give them credit for trying something different for them..

I have 3 friends who are prime candidates for this subscription because they watch 2 or 3 movies a month almost religiously.....