Ster-Kinekor to join South African online video bloodbath

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Interesting, Primedia decided to use the Ster-Kinekor brand , where as Times Live decided to create a new brand instead of using nu metro

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
How many of these will actually appeal to the layman? As in a stream to your TV, without having to get all geeky. I think that's the one will that will take the lead...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Times Live were at least vaguely clever if you ask me..

Cinemas have a price gouging stigma attached to them.. also people would expect the latest content.

I will be interested to see what Ster Kinekors offering looks like, but I expect it to be similar to Vidi...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
How many of these will actually appeal to the layman? As in a stream to your TV, without having to get all geeky. I think that's the one will that will take the lead...

Well they just need to target apps for IOS and Android... that support casting. Then make sure it all works on smart TV's.

Its really not hard, with locally hosted content it could easily work.

Nod

Executive Member
Well they just need to target apps for IOS and Android... that support casting. Then make sure it all works on smart TV's.

Its really not hard, with locally hosted content it could easily work.

Add a well working XBMC plugin, and they will attract a lot more business.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Not sure what the uptake of XBMC is in SA though, many people are technologically ignorant...

Not even I use XBMC.

It's easy to forget that the people on this forum are in the extreme minority in SA.

Nod

Executive Member
Not even I use XBMC.

It's easy to forget that the people on this forum are in the extreme minority in SA.

It would still be nice if they could at the very least provide an API to connect to the service with your application of choice.

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
Interesting, Primedia decided to use the Ster-Kinekor brand , where as Times Live decided to create a new brand instead of using nu metro

Times Media no longer owns Nu Metro. It was sold about a year ago. Times Media still hold the distribution rights under Gallo.

BrrIan

Too much effort to download these days. Just use a proper streaming service for a few weeks. You'll never go back.
Perhaps if you're lucky to live somewhere that gets ADSL fast enough to handle HD.

Fingolfin

"Bloodbath" ??

Wow...continuing the 3edia tradition of:

MP SLAMS DECAPITATION OF OWL DEPLOYMENT, BLASTS AXING OF SECRET DEPUTY.
FURY AS CHOPPED GOV PROGRAM NIXED BY ANGRY MOB.
POLICE CLASH WITH WIN FREE SEX!
PRESIDENT HAMMERS HOME KEY DEAL

furpile

Expert Member
It would be nice if one of these companies provided a media player (preferably a Roku) to stream their content as well as other channels. I wonder if somebody can get distribution right for Roku to sell in SA?

Raphael123

Expert Member
Well i suppose one more on demand service doesn't hurt but probably stimulates competition.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
"Bloodbath" ??

Wow...continuing the 3edia tradition of:

MP SLAMS DECAPITATION OF OWL DEPLOYMENT, BLASTS AXING OF SECRET DEPUTY.
FURY AS CHOPPED GOV PROGRAM NIXED BY ANGRY MOB.
POLICE CLASH WITH WIN FREE SEX!
PRESIDENT HAMMERS HOME KEY DEAL

You forgot:

ISP'S SLASH DATA RATES BY A MASSIVE 0,07%!

On topic: The local providers can hope for "one or two players emerging as dominant". One day they will have to make peace with the fact that the internet is not good at sticking to "territories" and borders.